trouble accesing google.com with firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
polix

trouble accesing google.com with firefox

Post by polix »

hello
very strange, since about a week, i always get trouble accessing goolge.com (or google.de...) in the afternoon (central europe time)
in the morning it work fine, in the afternoon i get after a while, (connection timeout for www.google.com) and at the same time i have no problems with IE ???
( also at the same time I could access any other url with FF, the probleme is really FF-google releated could not see any logical reason)

my feeling is that i get this probleme since i upgraded to FF 1.04

thanks for any help,
polix
Dan_Francis

Post by Dan_Francis »

Nothing to do with Firefox at all. It wouldn't show itself like that. It is probably just a server problem, or possibly your ISP connection. If you use Win2000 or XP then you cannot compare IE with Firefox since IE is an integral part of those Operating Systems and works differently. Plus some websites route IE access via different servers to a non IE browser.
Pentium 4 3Ghz HT, 1Gb DDR400Mhz Ram WinXPSP2
Firefox/1.0.4, Thunderbird/1.0.2, Deer Park Alpha/ 1
polix

Post by polix »

thanks,
your maybe right, this is unfair !! , if i try to ping www.google.com i get a timeout, but still IE work...
and so why only for the goolge sites ??? all the rest work ?
Dan_Francis

Post by Dan_Francis »

Who knows? Are you correctly enabling cookie permissions for google?
Pentium 4 3Ghz HT, 1Gb DDR400Mhz Ram WinXPSP2
Firefox/1.0.4, Thunderbird/1.0.2, Deer Park Alpha/ 1

Post by Guest »

sure, it works fine this morning and it will work fine tomorow morning too ...at the begining i was sur that google have some problemes, but since i saw that it work fine with IE ... could not explain..,
I could not check with our ISP, because it is at work, and IE should be the browser, but i use FX here since one year and the probleme just started last week or 2 weeks ago.
hellene

Post by hellene »

polix wrote:thanks,
your maybe right, this is unfair !! , if i try to ping www.google.com i get a timeout, but still IE work...
and so why only for the goolge sites ??? all the rest work ?
Good question. I can't think of anything in Firefox that could cause that effect with the ping. In fact, I can't think of any circumstance in which you cannot ping a site but IE could still connect.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy

Post by Guest »

IE was probably loading google from cache
hellene

Post by hellene »

Anonymous wrote:IE was probably loading google from cache
I thought of that, but the chap would surely have noticed that Google wasn't actually working.....surely.
polix

Post by polix »

no google was not in the cache of IE, I can do search and so on...

the ISP is Swisscom, may be they get the help of MS to implement filter in the network (see story about MS and swisscom trying to get work MS IPTV product ;-)) )

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/01 ... n_tatters/
Lance smiles

Post by Lance smiles »

how do I get rid of Doasearch it makes google not work right
hellene

Post by hellene »

GatesGoo strikes again :)

I thought you would have noticed if it was just pulling Google from the cache, but I can honestly think of no explanation for how Firefox cannot find Google, you cannot ping google, but IE can load it up and search through it.
polix

Post by polix »

my investigation are going futher, the point i'am sur about the trouble to access google :

- the problem is only on google related site (all google related site !!!)
- it happen about 13h00 central EU time
- all pc on the entreprise have this probleme ( ping ok in the morning not ok in the afternoon and most IE ok, FX or Mozilla NOK !)
so there muss be a internal setting ....

very strange point a extranal consultant using a old laptop from our company get the problem wiht IE, so one point is sure, the probleme
is not FX related, but why only google and why most IE is working....I am working in IT more than 12 year but could not have a clue about this ...
bke

Post by bke »

I have the same problem with google.nl.
I have two PC's, one running FireFox 1.0.3 (dutch) with can access google.nl (and google.com, etc). The other one runs FireFox 1.0.4 and can never access google.nl (and the others).

Using IE al works fine.

Post by Guest »

I have the same problem with Google in the early morning (American mid-west)), which is afternoon in Europe.

Post by Guest »

I have the same problems with google and gmail with firefox. Firefox will timeout and be unable to load either of the two sites while at the very same time, IE loads them just fine. Using both 1.0.4 and 1.5 beta 1. Both have the same difficulty. Pings just fine. I don't get it.