Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 1 Is Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 1 Is Now Available

Post by mscott »

The first alpha for our upcoming 1.1 release is now available for download. This release is intended for testers ONLY, to get some early exposure on some of the new features under development for Thunderbird 1.1. It will contain bugs! If you are an end user using Thunderbird 1.0, please stay with 1.0. Thanks!

You can download the alpha from:

<a href="http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-1.1a1&os=win&lang=en-US">Windows</a>
<a href="http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-1.1a1&os=linux&lang=en-US ">Linux</a>
<a href="http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-1.1a1&os=osx&lang=en-US">Mac OS X</a>

<b>What's New For Testing in Alpha 1</b>
<ul>
<li>Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
<li>Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
<li>Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
<li>Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
<li>Re-designed Options Dialog
<li>Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even configure an SMTP server for each identity.
<li>An Improved Spell Check Engine
<li>Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
<li>Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
<li>Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during autocomplete if you are using LDAP.
<li>Offline Improvements
<li>Ability to have global inbox filters
<li>Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
<li>TLS Support for POP3
<li>Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
<li>Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create views or search/filter on flagged messages).
<li>Many bug fixes and other improvements.
</ul>
We welcome your feedback on all of these new features. Keep in mind they are still under development and will contain bugs. This is just an early peak.

<b>Known Issues</b>
Since this is an alpha release, there will be many more issues and bugs than you would find in a finished release like 1.0 was or eventually, 1.1 final. Here are some of the more noticeable ones:
<ul>
<li>In the new Options dialog, several menulist options cannot be changed including: The ability to change the addressbook we add outgoing messages to and the address book used to allow remote images.
<li>Windows users cannot paste images from the clipboard into the compose window like you can in 1.0. This feature will get added to 1.1 before 1.1 final.
</ul>
Last edited by mscott on July 15th, 2005, 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
hansen

Post by hansen »

1.1 will be a 1.0 killer :)

mscott wrote:Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)

I showed the draft to one of my co-workers and she jumped when she saw this line, because in Denmark, a "hacker" is a very often used term for *very* bad people. I know this is incorrect use of the term, but no reason to scare anyone away.
an idea hansen wrote:Advanced users now have direct access to about:config for preference modification (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)

mscott wrote:Many bug fixes and other improvements.

Why don't we link to bugzilla's list of fixes since 1.0 - or page with all the bugs listed.
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

Gary of Rumbling Edge fame is working on a Burning Edge-like changelog, which would be a useful link.

Also, "This is just an early peek." - let's hope it's not an early peak ;)

And finally, where are the daft codenames for Thunderbird? I think mscott spends too much time fixing bugs :roll:
mscott

Post by mscott »

Bits are Now Live! Woo Hoo.

Very Funny Greg :). I guess I'm just not the creative type for project codenames :)

Enjoy the bits all.

-Scott and David B.
Thunderbirds are Go!
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

hansen wrote:1.1 will be a 1.0 killer :)

Absolutely! :) I've been damned impressed with how TB has developed since I started using it around version 0.3, and 1.1 looks like another great milestone in the making!

Not to open an old can of worms (disgusting image, sorry), but is there going to be a zip version for this Alpha? I went ahead and deliberately installed the .exe right on top of 1.02 (without uninstalling first) and am happy to report that 1.02 did get cleared out of Add/Remove programs; this is on WinXP (Japanese version). Very nice.

And just one more question: is there any documentation (even a forum thread) on the functioning of Tools > Account Settings > Local Folders > Disk Space? I don't get it.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

wintogreen wrote:And just one more question: is there any documentation (even a forum thread) on the functioning of Tools > Account Settings > Local Folders > Disk Space? I don't get it.

its pretty easy to look at it and figure what it does, but here is an explanation for non-figure-outers. when it says "keep", that means these are the messages u dont want automatically deleted.
wintogreen

Post by wintogreen »

ColdFusion650 wrote:
wintogreen wrote:And just one more question: is there any documentation (even a forum thread) on the functioning of Tools > Account Settings > Local Folders > Disk Space? I don't get it.

its pretty easy to look at it and figure what it does, but here is an explanation for non-figure-outers. when it says "keep", that means these are the messages u dont want automatically deleted.

To what folders, exactly, does it apply? The Local Folders Inbox? All folders in Local Folders? And how and when are the messages you don't want to keep supposed to deleted, and deleted in what sense? Sent to Trash? Permanently deleted? I created a new profile, set up an IMAP account, made an Inbox for Local Folders (since there wasn't one by default), dragged 60 messages into the Inbox and copied them to Sent, and then set Disk Space to keep "the newest 30 messages" (the default value). Nothing happens; I still have 60 messages in each folder, even after exiting and restarting.
therearenoteams

Post by therearenoteams »

Minor gripe: Will that privacy icon be fixed before the 1.1 release?
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

whats wrong with the privacy icon?
therearenoteams

ColdFusion650 wrote:whats wrong with the privacy icon?

Sorry--my post wasn't very descriptive. The privacy icon in Options is stretched horizontally. I don't believe that's related to my display.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

it looks fine to me. do u have a screenshot of what it should look like?
e.z

Re: Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 1 Is Now Available

Post by e.z »

mscott wrote:* Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.

A first sign that received/unsent messages can be modified! Who (whom?) should I beg in order to allow editing of exisiting messages?

I filed two seperate requests, #254738 for editing unsent messages, and #254739 for editing any (ie. received) messages.

Not that anyone should care, but this is the one thing that forces me to stick with Outlook, as much as I hate it. The replies to my requests, as well as feedback from friends and colleagues, indicate that this is indeed a highly desirable feature by many people.

Cheers and thanks for the great work.

EZ.
Squirle

Post by Squirle »

Mine does look a bit stretched too now that you mention it. Purely cosmetic though.
This is what it does look like.
ColdFusion650

Post by ColdFusion650 »

thats what mine looks like too. it doesnt look stretched to me. although i dont know what its supposed to look like.
therearenoteams

ColdFusion650 wrote:thats what mine looks like too. it doesnt look stretched to me. although i dont know what its supposed to look like.
It's definitely stretched, as Squirl's pointed out. I vaguely remember this coming up before ...