The Official Win32 20050608 [Trunk] build is out.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
wgianopoulos

Post by wgianopoulos »

vertigo451 wrote:
supernova_00 wrote:ok i'd file a bug but i gotta leave for work. littlemutt please file one and mark as new, i'll leave a message confirming once i get a chance in a hour or two

I don't know if it is a good idea to file a bug. This might just be a complication due to the partial landing of the software update patch and will be fixed once the final part(s) lands.
I would file a bug. Yes it is only partially landed , but the comments indicated that the parts that have landed should not effect normal operation of the browser. Therfore, if it does effect normal operation I would think a bug would be in order.
mw22

Post by mw22 »

thenightfly42 wrote:Ick, Bug 295721 - focused tabs in tabbox behaviour tweaks includes
Mike Connor:
"match Mac/GTK/Windows tab widgets by focusing on mousedown instead of click."

vladimir:
"this should be a usability/responsiveness improvement..."

That's a usability problem for me. I often drag and drop a background tab to a different location without focusing it, and now that's broken. Is it appropriate to comment in the bug on that?

I don't like it also :-(
vertigo451

Post by vertigo451 »

wgianopoulos wrote:
vertigo451 wrote:
supernova_00 wrote:ok i'd file a bug but i gotta leave for work. littlemutt please file one and mark as new, i'll leave a message confirming once i get a chance in a hour or two

I don't know if it is a good idea to file a bug. This might just be a complication due to the partial landing of the software update patch and will be fixed once the final part(s) lands.
I would file a bug. Yes it is only partially landed , but the comments indicated that the parts that have landed should not effect normal operation of the browser. Therfore, if it does effect normal operation I would think a bug would be in order.

As littlemutt pointed out, this is a regression caused by Bug 296566 which is still an open bug (only a partial fix has landed). In this case, wouldn't the proper thing be to note this problem in Bug 296566 and wait for the bug owner to tell you to open a new bug?
mw22

Post by mw22 »

I can't drag external files anymore in a new tab. It always opens in the last selected tab. Please, someone, file a bug.
Ria

Post by Ria »

thenightfly42 wrote:Ick, Bug 295721 - focused tabs in tabbox behaviour tweaks includes
Mike Connor:

vladimir:

That's a usability problem for me. I often drag and drop a background tab to a different location without focusing it, and now that's broken. Is it appropriate to comment in the bug on that?

They can say no or ignore you.
I also think that the dragging tab should not get the focus. When I have a lot of tabs open I can't find the last read page anymore.
jaimemitch

Post by jaimemitch »

Mike Connor:

vladimir:

I discussed this with Mike Connor and he was well aware of this issue when he made the 'fix'. The new behaviour is much more consistent with other applications, and is only likely to anoy a few people that got used to using things like miniT before the tab DnD patch landed.

Adding comments to Bugs that have been fixed isn't useful (in most cases).

It should be possible for an extension to overide the behaviour for the few people (including me) that don't want tab focus on mouse down.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

wgianopoulos wrote:
Mike Connor:

vladimir:

I owuld file a new bug and mark it as a regression from bug 295721.

OK, I filed Bug 296970 - Drag-and-drop of background tab changes focus (and apparantly butchered the HTML in Bugzilla, oops; now I know).

Thanks mw and Ria for confirming.
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

jaimemitch wrote:I discussed this with Mike Connor and he was well aware of this issue when he made the 'fix'. The new behaviour is much more consistent with other applications, and is only likely to anoy a few people that got used to using things like miniT before the tab DnD patch landed.

It should be possible for an extension to overide the behaviour for the few people (including me) that don't want tab focus on mouse down.

Oops. Guess I posted my bug too soon. Perhaps the next miniT will incorporate it.

But, what does he mean by "consistent with other applications"? I just installed the latest Opera on Windows, and it allows a background tab to be dragged in the background. I know that Safari doesn't have drag-and-drop tabs. Any others?
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

Has anybody had problems with the new dragging of tabs? It seems to work ok with a new profile but not my existing trunk profile. The tab seems to move but then the content doesn't match the title in the tab after changing to another tab. Is there something in my profile I can delete to fix this?

Also I see a blank button to the right of my address bar but I assume that this is part of the update system work being done. I'm a bit out of the flow from being away for a long weekend.
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
mw22

Post by mw22 »

I discussed this with Mike Connor and he was well aware of this issue when he made the 'fix'. The new behaviour is much more consistent with other applications, and is only likely to anoy a few people that got used to using things like miniT before the tab DnD patch landed.

I think this is not consistent with Firefox own behavior. Middle-clicking to close a tab does close it on mouseup, not on mouse down, for example. Double clicking to create a new tab happens after you've released the mouse button after the second click.

edit:
Well, I filed bug 296980 about that. Mike is free to WONTFIX that also, although I would not agree with that (unless he comes with good arguments).
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

And, Bug 296970 - Drag-and-drop of background tab changes focus is WONTFIXED. Mike Connor said "I never get tired of the assumption that because a result doesn't match someone's expectations, it couldn't have possibly been considered."

Oof. jaimemitch, if you happen to talk to Mike, could you let him know that I wasn't trying to be rude? I posted here and waited an hour before posting the bug. And Opera is the only other testcase that I can think of.
mw22

Post by mw22 »

thenightfly42, no need to apologize. It's just a bit of sarcasm on his side, but probably not meant in an evil way.
The reason why he WONTFIXED is, he describes on the next line: because most tab widgets on windows seem to work that way.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

thenightfly42 wrote:And Opera is the only other testcase that I can think of.

Other browsers aren't the only other test case. Look at file property pages with multiple tabs, IE's options, in fact anywhere on windows that I can find tabs, they change on mouse down. I wonder if the panes in firefox's options should switch on mouse down ;)
mw22

Post by mw22 »

By the way, does http://backbase.com/index.php work for you people?
It works for me in 2005-06-01 build, but fails in 2005-06-02 build. It keeps stuck at "Please wait, Loading..."
I've tried it with my debug build (which is up to date), but there it loads just fine.
Ria

Post by Ria »

mw wrote:By the way, does http://backbase.com/index.php work for you people?
It works for me in 2005-06-01 build, but fails in 2005-06-02 build. It keeps stuck at "Please wait, Loading..."
I've tried it with my debug build (which is up to date), but there it loads just fine.

I can't even load it in IE. Get terrible crashes.