The Official Win32 20050608 [Trunk] build is out.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
tongle

Post by tongle »

Has anyone else noticed that the buttons do not work for software updating in the options dialog, and that the "Check for software updates" option is gone from the Tools menu?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050607 Firefox/1.0+

EDIT: js console is going nuts with it

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570018 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_IID) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570018 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_IID)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/preferences/advanced.js :: anonymous :: line 86" data: no]
<b><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/f1254114/petition.html">Sign this petition if you want to help spread Firefox</a></b>
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

tongle wrote:Has anyone else noticed that the buttons do not work for software updating in the options dialog, and that the "Check for software updates" option is gone from the Tools menu?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050607 Firefox/1.0+

EDIT: js console is going nuts with it

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570018 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_IID) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570018 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_IID)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/preferences/advanced.js :: anonymous :: line 86" data: no]

It's under construction so it's not surprising. We'll get the word to test away from Ben when it's come along enough to file bugs against. And the check for updates is under help where it should be.
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Peter(6), I think keeping bugs in the orange section is useful as it allows people to know what parts might be broken as a result of partial checkins and allows anyone to post problems there rather then filing new bugs.
Last edited by mcm_ham on June 7th, 2005, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onemen

Post by onemen »

if someone useing tabmix i'v posted a fix to the regression after bug 179656 Allow drag-and-drop reordering of tabs landed
FIX

Download made by CPU

can someone check it
Last edited by onemen on June 7th, 2005, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Littlemutt wrote:I fear this is going to get ugly if users have previously installed extensions for tabs, or AIO, and maybe another extension or two...I've lost track of what the Drag&Drop addition broke.

That's the point of landing this stuff now. Latest estimates indicate that Firefox will branch in July, so presumably we won't see 1.1 until August. If that's the case, I think there's adequate time for TabMix and AiO (or any others) to update their code.

You need to remember that we're on daily builds here... We're going to be the first to see a lot of fixes, but also the first to see a lot of breakages - it's the price of living on the bleeding edge. We're finding this stuff out now so that end-users don't have to.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Thanks Cusser for the encouragement. I know its bleeding edge, and its fun, but it came as a surprize, at least to me, that a well known extension being added to the core code would break so many things, when Mini-T has co-habited with other Tab Enhancement extensions for some time now.

To change the subject, Pacifica needs another kick in the pants...Its stuck, Beast has cranked out 3 builds since the fire was put out.
tongle

Post by tongle »

I hope these memory problems get fixed before 1.1. I just noticed that opening a new tab to devshed.com shot my memory up from 12k to 53k, and closing the tab did not free it.
<b><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/f1254114/petition.html">Sign this petition if you want to help spread Firefox</a></b>
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Littlemutt wrote:Thanks Cusser for the encouragement. I know its bleeding edge, and its fun, but it came as a surprize, at least to me, that a well known extension being added to the core code would break so many things, when Mini-T has co-habited with other Tab Enhancement extensions for some time now.

Well, miniT uses a chrome JavaScript solution, Mike's patch goes for an XBL binding approach (probably the better way of doing it) which makes this available to anyone implementing a tabbed interface, should they want it. That's probably why it's clashing.

Littlemutt wrote:To change the subject, Pacifica needs another kick in the pants...Its stuck, Beast has cranked out 3 builds since the fire was put out.

Indeed.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Everytime I seem to turn my back, Firefox seems to throw out another term or type of build I become unfamiliar with.

Confusing words of the moment:
Pacifica
Deer Park
Prometheus
Anything else I may be missing...

I know what Beast, Trunk, Branch, Bonsai, and Tinderbox are though.

It'd be nice to get notices of what these are and why the developers have named them that. What happened to regular names used for testing builds? Like beta or 1.82b [continue the variation when growing], etc? Or, smoketest? - Has anyone really clarified the specifics of this besides that the FF devs test the current build against a plethora of serious issues before continuing development?

If ever there were a Yoda of the Firefox lingo - it'd be time to come down and impart your master teachings unto the ones left in the darkness.

Import Functionality in Retrospect:
BTW, speaking of internal profile struggles [post @ thread 20050502], how's the "Import..." feature doing from its initial criticism long ago? Still buggy, do half its job, or not at all?

Anybody's opinion is welcome as I'm using 1/15 and am comparing the functionality of the two: my old one vs the current new ones.

Forum/Site Width Bug/Annoyance:
oldtimer wrote:
Harald.L wrote:
oldtimer wrote:Guys, what the hell is that width-stretch bug? And, has it been filed/what's it's number?

it's bug Bug #292690 <marquee> regression causes unwanted horizontal page-widening caused by marquee. Currently the only bug that's really annoying me in nightly builds. There is a workaround to disable all marquees, can be found in http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 32#1468032

Thanks, Harald!

But my question is how does marquee play a role in this bug on sites that do NOT have marquee? It simply perplexes me. Like this site for example. It happens randomly, or until FF encounters a certain variable/element it doesn't like. All I know of the common ways to initiate this behavior would be long lines of code [or any text that doesn't obey the border b/c of awry/invisible space in the text box during the submission process], long urls, and wide images. But none of the above seem to be present when this happens...

Can anybody explain how this behavior translates to a "marquee" bug? If not, I suggest we file a new bug describing this alter situation.

Ria wrote:I think it has nothing to do with marquee. I'd be glad when someone could repair it. Currently I'm running a wrap-long-lines script in Greasemonkey. It works fine, but the script does unwanted things with some websites. I need to exclude those sites. The reply box here doesn't work anymore.

I'm still finding out if this is worthwile.

Woom, Peter, anybody. I'm asking for your theories and thoughts on this. This is seemingly getting ignored whilst it's getting buried among other problems. I'd just like to know what other people suspect as well. Before I file a new description as in two people's opinion this isn't marquee related.
Last edited by oldtimer on June 7th, 2005, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

oldtimer wrote:Everytime I seem to turn my back, Firefox seems to throw out another term or type of build I become unfamiliar with.

Pacifica - Tinderbox build machine (Win32).
Deer Park - Code name for Firefox 1.1 (Alpha release is intended for developers / testers only).
Prometheus - Tinderbox build machine (Linux).
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

oldtimer wrote:Woom, Peter, anybody. I'm asking for your theories and thoughts on this. This is seemingly getting ignored whilst it's getting buried among other problems. I'd just like to know what other people suspect as well. Before I file a new description as in two people's opinion this isn't marquee related.

At the moment I have my hands full with the EM code and don't have the time to look into this properly.
vertigo451

Post by vertigo451 »

oldtimer,

What sites without marquee do you see the widening bug?
afx114

Post by afx114 »

tongle wrote:I hope these memory problems get fixed before 1.1. I just noticed that opening a new tab to devshed.com shot my memory up from 12k to 53k, and closing the tab did not free it.

That's nothing.. after a day of browsing with fastback on, Firefox is using 249,308K of memory on my machine. And that's only with one window with 5 tabs currently open.