Firefox starts but does not display anything!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
aloomens

Firefox starts but does not display anything!

Post by aloomens »

Several times in the past week I have had a situation where I start Friefox, and I can see it in the WIndows Task Manager, bu tthere is no window visible on the screen. I have gone through the the FAQ trouble shooting for when irefox does not start up, and had to re-install to get it working again. After the third time, I just started using something else, and today, about a week later, it is working again (without re-installing). Any clue as to what is going on, and as to why it might start but not diaplay anything? Thanks!
hellene

Post by hellene »

That's wierd. Is/was this the scenario:

Used firefox for a bit, closed browser went for tea but left computer switched on. Came back. Browser wouldn't open.

If so, the problem is caused by a "hanging process". If you looked in Task manager, you'd find two instances of Firefox.exe in there somewhere. You can test this fairly simply, the browser will start if you reboot the computer (that's why it's the first step in the diagnostic http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 09#1488309
)
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
aloomens

Post by aloomens »

Nope. The first time I tried to start it after booting up this happened. I checked task manager, and it was running, but no dislay. I then killed the firefox.exe process and tried it again several times, but still no display.
manc39

Post by manc39 »

You need a new profile > step three in the diagnostic above^.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b1) Gecko/20060712 BonEcho/2.0b1
aloomens

Post by aloomens »

As I said above, I did try that, more than once, and it did not fix it. I went through the FAQ (in order). When I re-installed Firefox, it worked. This time, I did nothing, and after several days, it started working again.
Dan_Francis

Post by Dan_Francis »

It is just as likely to be something on your system causing Firefox.exe not to shut down properly and 'hang'.

Troubleshoot your system, disk clean up, defragment and full malware scans.
Pentium 4 3Ghz HT, 1Gb DDR400Mhz Ram WinXPSP2
Firefox/1.0.4, Thunderbird/1.0.2, Deer Park Alpha/ 1
SCPat

Post by SCPat »

This same thing has been happening to my system for the last week or so. I seem to have solved the problem by removing the "Geoowe Search Toolbar" extension from Firefox.
jcherney

firefox won't unload

Post by jcherney »

Mine is doing the same thing as aloomens. When I quit firefox, it won't unload from the process queue. And then I can't load it again until I do a ctl atl del and end the process. It's getting really old and annoying

Post by Guest »

I am having the same problem. Firefox only hangs after closing the application after viewing a Java page such as Yahoo Crossword.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Always use File>exit, particularly if you have been on a Java page, as Java continues running otherwise, and I suspect it is this that holds onto a firefox process.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy