how to put mozilla linking to a email client?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

martinf wrote:well i've read every post on this thread and still can't get mozex to open thunderbird in Linux...any other ideas?

What does you entry in MozEx look like? Maybe we can take it from there.
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
David James

Post by David James »

Step-by-step:

Copy the following code that asterix provided (which I have altered only slightly), paste it into a text editor.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
#script author: asterix
#http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=136157#136157

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/local/thunderbird

if [ $(ps aux | grep thunderbird | wc -l) -gt 4 ]; then
# thunderbird is running (thunderbird est lance)
        $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird -remote "mailto($1?subject=$2)"
else
# thunderbird is not running (thunderbird n'est pas lance)
        $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/thunderbird -P default -compose mailto:$1?subject=$2;fi

I'm assuming that you've got the thunderbird directory in /usr/local. If you've put it somewhere else, then change as appropriate the export line. Save it as thunderbird-mailto.sh somewhere convenient, such as your home directory.

Next, make the script executable

chmod +x /path/to/thunderbird-mailto.sh

Finally, with Mozex installed, enter the following into the Mozex settings dialog and be sure that Mozex intercepts mailto: links

/path/to/thunderbird-mailto.sh %a %s

There, you should be able to open up Thunderbird's composer window from a <a href="mailto:foo@bar.net?subject=Test">mailto link</a>, though you might have to restart Firebird first.

Also, make sure Mozilla isn't running, since Moz will somehow take over. Additionally, Composer can be *very* slow to launch, especially if Thunderbird isn't running. That is why I use kmail for this instead.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
martinf

Post by martinf »

David James, you are a godsend...works fine now.
<a href="http://www.martinworld.net/images/newsig.jpg" alt="www.martinworld.net" />
Ponder_Stibbons

Post by Ponder_Stibbons »

hello,
this script is working fine for me if thunderbird isn't running. But if thunderbird is running firebird sais: mailto is not a registered protocol.
Any Ideas? :-)
Greetings Ponder
David James

Post by David James »

Have you restarted Firebird since making the changes to Mozex? I think I recall seeing something similar on the first run through.
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
jnif

Post by jnif »

I am wondering if anyone knows of a function/extension that will email a frame in mozilla? For example, you would right click the frame/page and an option to email the frame would exist in the context menu.....

thanks
Ponder_Stibbons

David James wrote:Have you restarted Firebird since making the changes to Mozex?

Yes I restartet firebird several times since making changes.
It doesn't help. Any more ideas? :-)
Thx Ponder
brewerth

Post by brewerth »

I followed your directions to create the script, which itself works fine. If I just execute the script it dutifully opens up a nice Compose window in T-Bird. However, whenever I try to actually use it in Firebird, it says that the script file does not exist. I'm sure that I got the paths correct. Any ideas?
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

brewerth wrote:I followed your directions to create the script, which itself works fine. If I just execute the script it dutifully opens up a nice Compose window in T-Bird. However, whenever I try to actually use it in Firebird, it says that the script file does not exist. I'm sure that I got the paths correct. Any ideas?

Let's just make sure... what did you put as your full path?
brewerth

Post by brewerth »

/home/tom/thunderbird/mailto.sh

If I type just that from the command line (assuming I'm at /.) it executed the script perfectly.

Thank you for your assistance.
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

brewerth wrote:/home/tom/thunderbird/mailto.sh

If I type just that from the command line (assuming I'm at /.) it executed the script perfectly.

You're using the MozEx extension, correct? The path looks good to me, except you probably need to throw in parameters such as the subject (%s) and e-mail address (%a).
David James

Post by David James »

brewerth wrote:/home/tom/thunderbird/mailto.sh

The only thing that I can think of is that you may not have made the script executable, though I'm surprised it would run at all if that was the case. Can you run it from an upper dir, in your case, /home/tom (try running thunderbird/mailto.sh)?
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
brewerth

Post by brewerth »

Yes Sir, if I run:

[tom@localhost tom]$ thunderbird/mailto.sh

it works.

I'm just going to bag-it for the time being and go back to Mozilla. I'm sure in the near future the Firebird/Thunderbird people will iron this out.
WooLie

Post by WooLie »

Ponder_Stibbons wrote:hello,
this script is working fine for me if thunderbird isn't running. But if thunderbird is running firebird sais: mailto is not a registered protocol.
Any Ideas? :-)
Greetings Ponder

Yup. I had the same problem running fluxbox, and then I happened to try another window manager. I was able to verify that <b>the following WMs do work</b> with the <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=146623&sid=f632d6c6f61477aec89be27d9568cce4#146623">
script David James posted:</a>

KDE
GNOME
Enlightenment
IceWM
FVWM2

The <b>following WMs did not work</b> with the script:

fluxbox
WindowMaker
twm

Not sure what the difference is between how the different WMs view Firebird vs Thunderbird. But when it didn't work Firebird was the app giving the "mailto is not a registered protocol" popup, so the WMs that don't work are sending the message to Firebird instead of Thunderbird. Will look into this further to try to write a fluxbox-safe script.
Ponder_Stibbons

I'm using xfce4-beta, may be it will work with xfce4-final(when available). But I don't understand why the wm could be responsible for this :-)
Greetings Mark