hp printer install woes

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tin1man

hp printer install woes

Post by tin1man »

bought a new hp printer. printer works fine, HP's hpdirector which kind of run the show will not run. I get a internet explorer script error. I have reloaded the software five times now triying differant approaches. I have shut all my adware and virus programs off to install. the last time before installing I defraged and emptied all the temp files. I have never had any problems istalling anything else. Any suggestions before I pull my hair out. I am assuming it is somthing simple but can;t find it after three hours of installing and unistalling.

Post by Guest »

Clearly a Firefox problem.

Why don't you take your problems to those who got your money?

Post by ..,..,..,..,.., »

tin1man,

HP actually has an okay internet chat support system. I recommend that you go there to get an answer...as for us at Firefox, since it wasn't even mentioned in your post, we can't really help you with it.

-Brian
tin1man

Post by tin1man »

Well, the error message said "internet explorer" script error. I have firefox 5.0 . What does internet explorer have to do with anything. Sorry to bother everyone! I'll go somewhere else.

Umm, it seems like you do need a little support if you have Firefox 5.0...

Post by Guest »

Just spent an hour with HP tech support. They cannot help me. they directed me back to firefox?????

Post by Guest »

Does it work with IE?
Sheldon England

Post by Sheldon England »

First, could you clarify which version of Firefox you are using and on what OS? The current version is 1.0.4 and above you have written you are using 5.0?

Next, when does the error occur? When you try to print a web page while browsing with Firefox? When printing anything? When installing?

If you are using XP then you will still have IE 6 installed regardless (it's intermingled with the OS) so it could be that you still have the default browser set as IE and somehow the HP Print Director is getting confused.

FWIW I use an HP deskjet at home with Firefox 1.0.4 on XP-SP2 and have had no issues. Any additional info you can provide may help us help you.

- Sheldon

Post by Guest »

Your right it is firefox 1.0.4. I was looking at mozilla 5.0. I am using xp-sp2. My browser default is firefox. I get the error when I open the hp director . the director shows up on my task manager but nothing opens on my desktop. I get no working screen for HP director. The error is" internet explorer script error" line 289 char 7 no object found. I have norton works installed which uses a IE shell but I have that turned off for the install and even now with no results. I have Microsoft anti spy ware installed and shut sown and spy blaster shut down. The printer works fine it is just the director that doesn't function. Any thing else that might be important.

How did they redirect you back to Firefox if your problem is with an Internet Explorer Script Error?

I still don't see how this is relevant to Firefox.
Sheldon England

Post by Sheldon England »

Anonymous wrote:Your right it is firefox 1.0.4. I was looking at mozilla 5.0. I am using xp-sp2. My browser default is firefox.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

Anonymous wrote:I get the error when I open the hp director . the director shows up on my task manager but nothing opens on my desktop. I get no working screen for HP director. The error is" internet explorer script error" line 289 char 7 no object found.

What is the HP Director supposed to do? I am not familiar with that product but it sounds like a program that manages printing projects behind the scenes so it may not be weird that is shows up in the process list but not have an active application 'window.'

Anonymous wrote:I have norton works installed which uses a IE shell but I have that turned off for the install and even now with no results.

Norton *shouldn't* be a problem here.

Anonymous wrote:I have Microsoft anti spy ware installed and shut sown and spy blaster shut down.

These are a good baseline and it's a bit of a tangent but I also recommend a full Norton Antivirus (or equivalent) PLUS and non-Microsoft anti-spyware tool like Spybot Search and Destroy. If one tool is good, two is better. :)

Anonymous wrote:The printer works fine it is just the director that doesn't function. Any thing else that might be important.

What is the Director supposed to do?

- Sheldon

Post by Guest »

I guess my best discription would be that it is a wizard for printing projects, faxing, and scanning.

Post by Guest »

Most of the script error fixes I have found relate to fixing IE if you use IE. What do fix if I use fire fox. How tightly intertwined are the two?

Firefox has nothing at all 0% to do with IE, because mostly of its compatibility with non-Microsoft OS's like Mac and linux.

Which, again - is why I'm wondering what this has to do with Firefox.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this because I find it a bother, but just because I don't want to waste your time only ending up to realize that Firefox had nothing to do with it, and now all the time investigating FF is wasted...

I say go back to HP and don't even mention Firefox. Just tell them about your script errors.

-Brian
Diazruanova1

Post by Diazruanova1 »

Anonymous wrote:I guess my best discription would be that it is a wizard for printing projects, faxing, and scanning.

I guess you will have to UN-Install/RE-Install the HP Software from your CD or dowload the latest ver. from HP site.

I had a similar problem a few moths ago when I installed PDF995 and it screwed something within the "huge" HP software that rendered unusable the Director.

But this does not have anything to do with FFx :-)