Email editor is too slow.

Closed Forum
PaulCsouls

Email editor is too slow.

Post by PaulCsouls »

The email editor in Thunderbird is so slow its unusable. Is there some setting I have wrong?

Thanks
Paul
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

TB is maybe a bit slow starting up, but when running its very good. and since i only start TB once a day and leave it running i dont care about it ;) but you can start TB using the quicklaunch switch (which pretty buggy) and that should speed it up a bit, but no real setting you can change...
PaulCsouls

Post by PaulCsouls »

I have no problem starting up or receiving or reading email. My problem is typing in the new message editor. I type six letters and see nothing on the screen and then they all pop on. It's weird. Is there a way that I can setup a different editor to write the new messages in?

Thanks
Paul
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

hmm never had that problem, you can always write your reply in word and then copy and paste it into TB, but that is a bit of a hassle :S
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

Thunderbird is the only Email app I use. I've never seen this problem. I would just delete it and reinstall if it did happen. Backup your Email first though. It's in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data(you have to show hidden files to see that one)\Thunderbird\Profiles The easiest way to back it up would be to rename the Thunderbird folder. Thunderbird will create a new one when you reinstall it.
GNU/Ben

Post by GNU/Ben »

What are your system specs?
"When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'."
-- Linus Torvalds
Gentoo: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041210 Firefox/1.0
PaulCsouls

Post by PaulCsouls »

My system specs are:
Windows 95
AMD K6-3 400MHz
Tyan Titan Turbo 1571s motherboard
128MB RAM
6Meg Hard Drive : C: 478MB, D: 2GB, 3.5GB Linux partition
Diamod Viper 330 4Meg Video Card.
Turtle Beach Tropez sound card
Zoom 32I Modem
50x CDROM

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird.

Thanks
Paul
GNU/Ben

Post by GNU/Ben »

Hmm... That should run Firebird just fine. I wonder if it's a Windows 95 thing?
"When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'."
-- Linus Torvalds
Gentoo: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041210 Firefox/1.0
David James

Post by David James »

I have seen this in the past, both in MozMail and TB, but I haven't seen it recently. I'm using Linux, btw.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
PaulCsouls

Post by PaulCsouls »

Okay I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird, but that didn't work and I've tried downloading the 8-13-03 nightly and installing that but that didn't work either. I don't think this is going to work. My system is little strange. I have a patched BIOS to get the TYAN mother board to work with AMD k6- 3 and I have some WIN98 files installed with my WIN95 for the same reasons. It would be a nice feature if the editor was seperate and you could select a different editor to type your emails in. Thanks everyone for their help.

Paul