Firefox using 100% CPU...????

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Killah Mike

Firefox using 100% CPU...????

Post by Killah Mike »

Whenever I start up Firefox my CPU useage fires straight up to around 99-100% and stays there. It lags my system terribly. I can't figure out what the problem is. I'm running Windows XP SP2 and plenty of power for a browser. IE averages like 2% CPU useage. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

--Mike
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Try opening the browser in Firefox Safe Mode (Start -> All Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Mozilla Firefox Safe Mode). If the problem doesn't occur in Safe Mode, it's almost certainly a theme or extension problem.

Try the default theme, and try uninstalling extensions one at a time, testing after each one, to locate the problem.

If that doesn't help, try creating a new profile (don't delete the old one yet): http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new

If the problem is gone when running a clean profile, then do this: http://the-edmeister.home.comcast.net/t ... _data.html

Post by Guest »

I tried everything you suggested and none of it worked. I've also tried reinstalling it multiple times. Oddly enough, Netscape 8.0, it also does this same exact thing. It makes me wonder if it just has something to do with the Firefox engine itself. I have absolutely no idea how to fix this thing which leaves me stuck on I.E.

Thanks for the attempted help. I appreciate the effort.

--Mike
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The only thing I can think of is that it could be a problem with a plug-in, since Netscape and Firefox share some of them.

I was going to suggest uninstalling Firefox and deleting the Mozilla Firefox installation folder in C:/Program Files, >edit< so you re-install in a new directory. I guess you could do that with Netscape at the same time.

Some plug-ins would be deleted by doing this, Flash and Shockwave, for instance.

It wouldn't hurt to clean your hard drive and registry while you're at it, I recommend CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/

Then re-install and maybe you'll see some improvement, at least I hope so.
Last edited by greenknight on June 24th, 2005, 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Check to see if your computer has hyperthreading. There is a bug in some recent Intel processors. Fortunately, it's easy to fix.

Also double-check. Make sure you created a new profile and ran Fx in it.

If both of those fail, uninstall Fx and reinstall it <i>in a new directory.</i>
Killah Mike

Post by Killah Mike »

Thank you all for the help. I went through all the suggestions and nothing worked. I made sure to try each thing twice just to make sure I wasn't making any errors. I really just can't figure this thing out at all. It's ashame too, I loved using Firefox. Thanks again to everyone that replied. I appreciate the attempts.

--Mike
pikaunforgiven

Post by pikaunforgiven »

do you happen to have a java, javascript, or flash heavy website as your homepage? if so this could be the cause of it. other than that im kinda clueless myself.