[FX] PowerBook: 2005-07-16 [Trunk/OS X] (G4, O3, Altivec)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
Gary King

Post by Gary King »

Commands such as copy, paste, cut, select all, etc. do not work in today's build. The ONLY buttons that work for me are:

input keys such as alphabet, numbers
delete key

Those are primarily the only ones really that work. Arrow keys do not work, the command key does not work, etc.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I have random problems with copy, paste etc. as well.
Its been like this for some days now, but I have not been able to nail it. Meaning I have not been able to reproduse it with a specific testcase and not posted a bug report on it.

If you find out how to reproduce this, please let us know!
Gary King

Post by Gary King »

Wow, glad it wasn't just me. Only happens sometimes as well for me. I just close Firefox (good thing I have SessionSaver installed!) and run Firefox again. Fixes it, if only for a short period.

Also, is your FF build best only for G4? What about the G5 processor? Is there anything for that, or is your build still the 'best' (in your opinion...) for that as well? Or is the normal Firefox build best for G5? I'm asking because I'm using a Mac Mini now, so your build is good for it since it is G4, but I'm exchanging for a G5 iMac soon :)

Thanks!
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

drumsticks build G5 optimized Firefox and Thunderbird builds.
My G4 build should run on a G5, but you will not get the full potential of the G5 processor. While a G5 build dont run on a G4 at all.

I have a rev. b 15" PowerBook (1.5GHz, 1GB ram +++). It will do until I get my hands on a PowerBook G5, or an Intel powered PowerBook.
Gary King

Post by Gary King »

We really need to get more people to vote on bug 289973 so that it gets more attention :) Are we allowed to post a thread asking for people to vote on it? I suppose not? :p Too bad :(
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Gary W wrote:We really need to get more people to vote on bug 289973 so that it gets more attention :) Are we allowed to post a thread asking for people to vote on it? I suppose not? :p Too bad :(

No, bumping a bug report like that would be really bad!
Bugzilla Etiquette
1. No pointless comments. Unless you have something constructive and helpful to say, do not add a comment to a bug.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

So since neither of us have the needed coding skill, we can just place our vote and wait.

This bug should get some attention as well:
298677 - Vertical scrollbar draws over toolbar and tabs when location or search bar has focus during scrolling.
Gary King

Post by Gary King »

Okay :)

I've already voted on both. Hopefully they will get attention soon, they've been around for a long time now.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

ref copy & paste.

That is a problem that I've experienced occasionaly for a long time. Maybe it has been a bit more frequent the past few days (bug 282940 ??). But as powerbook said, it is very random, and I never could make sense out of it. Maybe it is the weather...:-).

How do you guys experience this? When using the keyboard shortcuts? Or when using the menu (Edit > Copy)? (or right-click on selected text and select Copy?).

On my side - and as said, this happens very randomly, which makes it difficult to track - it is mostly the keyboard shortcut that doesn't do anything, the keyboard event is not passed. Using the menu item always seem to work. And once I've used the menu item once, the keyboard shortcut works rather well.

(and in the 20050702 build, it works rather well, on my side).
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I have had problems with missing/unresponsive menus the last 4-5 days or so.
Just about the time CFRunLoop was turned on by default (bug # 298293). The problem is that its pattern when it happends, it just strikes randomly.

I usually notice it when copy and paste dont work anymore. Select some text and click cmd-c and nothing happends. The Edit - Copy menu are greyed out as well.
At the same time it blocks all context menus, ctrl-click and "Open Link in New tab" do nothing...

Its a major bug, but hard to report since there are no pattern to reproduce it. :(

Yes, it seems to "heal" itself on my side as well. Just switch between tabs some times and suddenly it works again. Strange!
I have seen it 2 or 3 times with my 20050702 build

Edit:
Perhaps we should just report it anyway, with as much information as we have?
Hopefully the developers have the same problem and we could work together to track it down.

Edit2:
I'm reporting as we speak.

Edit3:
Bug # 299514 - Random unresponsive keyboard shortcuts and context menus
Please reply to the bug report if you have more information, or at least vote for it! :)
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

I will turn of CFRunLoop on my side, to check if that makes a difference.
about:config -> remove "browser.sessionhistory.max_viewers = 3"

I dont seem to be able to delete the entry, so cant test this.
The Reset choice in about:config are greyed out and I cant find it in the prefs.js file either.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

I think you are CFRunLoop with bfast cache :-). The pref you try to turn of is for bfast cache (try setting it to 0 , as in zero).

CFRunLoop is bug 282940, and on my side, the problems happen more frequently, I think, since that one landed.

It is very weird thing, when I posted my previous message, I did a copy paste (with the keyboard), and the 'Edit' menu didn't light up; now I just did the same and the menu did light up. But in both cases I could copy paste.

Powerbook, did you try with a fresh profile ?

BTW - very handy, that new [QE] button... :-)
jethrox

Post by jethrox »

phiw13 wrote:ref copy & paste.

That is a problem that I've experienced occasionaly for a long time.

I think this is down to focus issues with tabs (the program getting confused about what tab is active), which is also probably responsible for 258285. If I was king of Firefox, that'd be the one I had fixed though making scrolling not suck on OS X would be a close #2.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Philippe. Yes, I have tried with a fresh profile but no change. It still bugs out once in a while.

I mixed up the CFRunLoop and bfast cache bugs. :oops:
The problem have bugged me the last 4-5 days, but it might well be an older bug that show up more frequently now after the CFRunLoop checkin.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

07/03

Most important fix:
Bug #299384 - Crash when using the scrollbar while page is (re)loading
irixdude

Post by irixdude »

powerbook wrote:I have random problems with copy, paste etc. as well.
Its been like this for some days now, but I have not been able to nail it.

I have been using your latest builds on my PowerBook G4 (10.3.9 and 10.4.1 dual boot on 1.25 GHz G4). I have not been able to paste into Firefox for over a week. Copying from Firefox sometimes works, but not always. I will look for a pattern and post here and to bugzilla with more information.

I have also been using your "FX-ppc7400-1.0.4.dmg" build on my upgraded iMac. It was faster than Safari 10.3.8, however now it seems like Safari 10.3.9 is slightly faster. Once the copying/pasting bug is fixed from the latest trunk version I would like a nice fresh build for the PPC 7400/7410 if it is possible.

Thank you for your hard work and dedication to this project! We G4 users salute you!
PowerBook G4 and Blueberry iMac upgraded to 500MHz G4