Thunderbird will not fetch mail

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Bob Salsburg

Post by Bob Salsburg »

Both the XP firewall and Norton Antivirus were off when troubleshooting.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

The XP firewall is known to keep part of itself functioning, even after turning it off. You might want to check via msconfig - Start>Run>msconfig - and see if the firewall is active. Norton Antivirus has been known to cause some issues with Thunderbird (a quick search of "norton" in the forums will turn up a number of threads). <<This knowledge base page>> contains good information on how well various anti-virus applications work with Thunderbird.
garsue

telnet

Post by garsue »

Bob,
if u r paying for your isp service & they are not letting u use 100% of the internet then u need to explain to the ISP that you will leave... AOL pulls that crap........... too. newfers do not understand how aol force feeds them what aol wants its subscribers to see. U have to do allot of tweaking to get more out of aol....
I had to do that w/starband.net. they told me i could not use netscape 4.80 on my internet dish service. they wanted that 60.00 pr month. they allowed me to install netscape 4.80 ;-)

just read that on the 6th july, NETZERO is going to start charging 4.95 pr month....... u need no software to install the settings in any version of windows.
good luck on the telnet......... lemmeno
---gary
Emile
----gary
Bob Salsburg

Still no mail

Post by Bob Salsburg »

As of this morning there still is no mail being fetched with Thunderbird. Norton is uninstalled and firewall is off.

I would like to see if there is some way of logging or resetting Thunderbird within the registry so that it will get back to a clen state. If I never get the password prompt, then it is not in a clean state. My XP installation at home has the POP and SMTP password entries within Advanced settings

BTW. I understand the restriction on Telnet and PING as well. They are trying to make sure they have a secure situation.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

You might try a new profile - that's the "clean slate" you seek. Check <<<b>this page</b>>> for information on Thunderbird profiles.
Bob Salsburg

Post by Bob Salsburg »

That was among the first things I did. It is obvious that whatever is causing this effects new profiles as well.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

:oops: You're right - I recommended that a few days ago and neglected to review the entire thread before entering my last post....

Have you tried engaging the ISP in attempting to resolve this? It appears as though you are not communicating with the mail server at all - which would explain why you are not being prompted for a password.
hansen

Post by hansen »

Perhaps you could log the connection information.

http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews ... shoot.html

Can you supply your POP3(that's the one with problems, right?) providers website, so we might be able to find more information?
Bob Salsburg

Post by Bob Salsburg »

Well, I set up the mail parameters with Thunderbird 1.02 for Mac OSX on my personal PowerBppk. Same symptom.

Tomorrow, I am going to log a session and then confront the ISP.
Thanks for hanging with me,

BTW, the instructions for Mac logging don't produce a log. In fact, the log file doesn't activtate Thunderbird. The log file ends up in the Applications folder. Could the procedure be different in 1.02 or some different in Mac OSx 10.4.1?
Bob Salsburg

Post by Bob Salsburg »

Ah, the best laid plans...
No luck on logging. Log is not created. Here's my batch code:

set NSPR_LOG_MODULES=POP3:4
set NSPR_LOG_FILE=c:\log\pop.log
start "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"

Any problem there? I even tried the 8.3 short path names. All that happens is that the command window opens, Thunderbird (and later Mozilla) never start. I have to start them manually. There has to be something subtle that I am not seeing. Oh yeah: Is level 4 to high? I don't want to sift through debug code, just the connection session and the conversation with the server. Mybe 2 and 3?

No log is created. So, I thought - maybe this is strictly for Mozilla. The page never mentions Thunderbird. I downloaded Mozilla Suite 1.78 and of course, the same symptom persists. Hmm. Lets log it. Nothing.
Bob Salsburg

Post by Bob Salsburg »

Any hope of getting the logging set up. If it is only for Mozilla, that's OK - it fails the same a Thunderbird.

Please don't leave me haging.
Bob Salsburg

Post by Bob Salsburg »

Wonder if this could be a re-introduction of this bug (it is an Ipswitch Imail server):

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258077

I added the prefs.js line suggest, but no luck.