Firefox crashes when viewing/downloading a graphic

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
johnhouston

Firefox crashes when viewing/downloading a graphic

Post by johnhouston »

All of the sudden (today) Firefox has begun to cease operating, crashing when a right click, view image or right click,save as...

Any ideas.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Open Firefox in Firefox Safe Mode (NOT Windows safe mode) and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then it's an extension or theme problem.

If you use Windows, access safe mode by clicking Start > All Programs > Mozilla Firefox > Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode), OR...

...click Start > Run > type firefox.exe -safe-mode (with a space between the firefox.exe and -safe-mode) and press OK.

If the problem goes away, start disabling (no need to uninstall) your extensions and themes, starting with those you most recently added or updated. To disable an extension, go to Tools > Extensions > RIGHT-CLICK the extension > select "disable" from the context menu.

Close the extension manager window. Close and reopen Firefox. Do this for each extension, one by one, until you find the culprit, then uninstall that extension. Same procedure for themes.
Last edited by Old BushVenom on March 22nd, 2006, 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnhouston

Right Click > View Image > "Save As" issue

Post by johnhouston »

Thanks bushvenom... Started Firefox in safe mode... Still freezes solid when right clicking on an image to download.

There have been no recent Theme or plug-in downloads: Firefox has been running absolutely perfectly up until yesterday (as far as I can tell) and this problem is not "life threatening".

However, the "right click" feature is one that is used frequently, and it <b>needs to work</b>.

History, cache and cookies have been cleared: no effect.
Version is Firefox/1.0.4: running on WindowsXPpro
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

"Houston, we still have a problem".

I would suggest creating a new profile, or reformatting your hard drive, whichever sounds easier. To create a new profile, do this:

http://the-edmeister.home.comcast.net/a ... ofile.html

If that solves the issue, then restore your bookmarks, passwords etc. into the new profile thusly:

http://the-edmeister.home.comcast.net/t ... _data.html
johnhouston

Right Click 'n Save

Post by johnhouston »

Well... A valiant try it was but, fun it was not.

I never thought of the "New Profile" angle... Had to do that with some Adobe apps not long ago and it worked like a charm. However, that was Adobe's stuff and This is "the 'Fox"... No Such Luck.

It's quite evident a file was corrupted in some manner... But finding it is/was quite another task. A time consuming one.

So, there's nothing like a fresh install. Especially with a high speed internet connection.

<b>All is Well in the Fox's Den</b>

Some things <em>Other Users</em> may want to check when re-installing FF.

Copy your Bookmark file to a safe location Other Than the Firefox Directory.

WindowsXP: "AddRemove" does NOT remove everything. Navigate to the Program Files directory and RENAME the Firefox directory AFTER going through the Add-Remove Programs Sequence.

WindowsXP:Navigate to Docs - Setttings/Admin/App Data... RENAME the Firefox Directory.

NOW re-install Firefox from a FRESH download.

Copy your Old bookmarks into the new Profiles Directory

Takes less than 15 minutes.
When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets a little crowded.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Good job, johnhouston. <b>"The Fox has landed"</b>. <i>Vive le Fox libre</i>
Slava

Post by Slava »

Had the same problem.

Better use the advice of BUSHVENOM, since if you create a new profile you lose all your settings, not just bookmarks.

In my case the the offending extension was AgentSwitcher. After starting in safe mode and removing that extension Mozilla started to work normal again.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Slava wrote:Had the same problem.

Better use the advice of BUSHVENOM, since if you create a new profile you lose all your settings, not just bookmarks..
To clarify - you don't actually lose them unless you delete the profile folder, but they don't appear in the new profile. Bushvenom's advice is necessary to restore your data files from the old to the new profile.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
Judis_2112

FF 1.0.4 No Load Problem - Personal Solution

Post by Judis_2112 »

Had similar problem with FF 1.0.4 on XP Pro. Found that removing Agent Switcher extension did solve the problem.

Note: sometimes FF did not seem to load at all. However, it was an active process in the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Killing that process would then allow you to try to reload the whole app.

J.

Post by Guest »

that's the strategy i was going to take, johnhouston, but i'm not able to dl anything...
i guess i can only hope someone will get online and send me the installer...