British English

Closed Forum
S Oliver

British English

Post by S Oliver »

How do I get the email to write and spell check in UK English, not American -?
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

You can edit the dictionary file youself but I wouldn't recomend it as it's very big. Is it Thunderbird or Mozilla mail you're using? On Windows XP with Thunderbird the dictionary is at C:\Program files\Thunderbird\components\myspell\en-US.dic . You can drag and drop it into an open notebook window. A better alternative is to just teach it the correct spellings of colour and centre and so on. When it comes across words it doesn't know it gives you the option to change the word, ignore it or add the word to your personal dictionary. This creates a file in your profile and effectively makes the spell checker accept the correct spellings.
clav

Post by clav »

go here: http://www.mozcafe.com/download/index.php

and download the en-gb dictionary :)
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

clav wrote:go here: http://www.mozcafe.com/download/index.php

and download the en-gb dictionary :)

That site tries to install a dictionary into Firebird! How do I get it to install it into Thunderbird?
Edit- I see, it installed a myspell folder into MozillaFirebird\Components . Moving it to Thunderbird\Components does the business, thankyou!
clav

Post by clav »

I'd never actually used it myself ... I don't bother with spellcheckers unless they underline things as you type like the one in MS Word.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

I rely on it to stop me looking stupid as I'm slightly dyslexic. I didn't move from Outlook Express to Thunderbird until the spellchecker was added for that reason.
Ponder_Stibbons

Post by Ponder_Stibbons »

you can download dictionaries from http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/do ... l#spelling.
Unzip the file and copy the .dic and the .aff file to thunderbird/componets/myspell/ and then move i.e en_GB.diff and en_GB.aff to en-GB.diff and en-GB.aff.
Greeting Ponder
Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

While I hate to bump topics - Is there also a British English version of Firebird itself? Thanks.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

another dictionary question: Is it possible to import a "custom dictionary" from Outlook or Outlook Express into Thunderbird/Mozilla? Thanks.
c∂n

| 250 |

Post by c∂n »

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Thank you. Now switiching to Firebird, purely to get rid of those misspellings. :P
igggaaaaa

Post by igggaaaaa »

Anonymous wrote:Thank you. Now switiching to Firebird, purely to get rid of those misspellings. :P
you are a liar, and you are evillllll, so you suck,