[FX] PowerBook: 1.0.5 [Release/OS X] (G4, O3, Altivec)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
krmathis

[FX] PowerBook: 1.0.5 [Release/OS X] (G4, O3, Altivec)

Post by krmathis »

Here you find Firefox 1.0.4 Community Edition with optimization for G4 processors (PowerPC 7400 & 7450).

Compiled on Mac OS 10.4.2, using GCC 3.3 and the following .mozconfig (xxxx equals 7450 or 7400):

Code: Select all

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig

ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-static
ac_add_options --enable-pthreads
ac_add_options --enable-prebinding
ac_add_options --enable-macos-target=10.3
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -mcpu=xxxx -faltivec"

ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-shared

ac_add_options --with-macos-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk

ac_add_options --without-system-png
ac_add_options --without-system-mng
ac_add_options --without-system-nspr
ac_add_options --without-system-zlib
ac_add_options --without-system-jpeg

FX-ppc7450-1.0.5.dmg (newer G4)
FX-ppc7400-1.0.5.dmg (older G4)

Icons & graphics by MacGeneral.
Pretty form widgets from Empty Spaces by phiw13.
Last edited by krmathis on July 13th, 2005, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
axs

Post by axs »

With this Build i have a Problem with Textboxes, they are somehow disabled so its impossible to write anything.
The 1.0.4 G4 Build and the normal 1.0.5 work fine; testet with OS 10.4.1 and 10.4.2

Maybe its a problem with the "Pretty form widgets", as the Boxes indeed look different?
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

^ You are right.
Turned out there are different "Pretty form widgets" sets for Aviary and Trunk, and I used the wrong one. Philippe, thanks a lot for clearing that up to me.

Updated builds are now ready for download. Hopefully working better this time! [-o<
axs

Post by axs »

Cool, seems to work fine now; but the new Look is a bit irritating at first ;)
Thanks for this
Raptor007

1.0.5 middle-click is dead!

Post by Raptor007 »

I've been really happy with your 1.0.4 build because it's the only build I've been able to find that works well with Tabbrowser Extensions and enables middle-click (mouse3).

It seems middle-click is dead in your 1.0.5 build though. I tried both the 7400 and 7450 versions on my iBook G3 here at work, and no-go on middle-click.

(By the way, it seems a G3 can handle either the 7400 or 7450 build, so I'd suspect a G4 7400 could handle the 7450 build too. I'm not sure if there would be a performance penalty for that though.)
axs

Post by axs »

Can't confirm that, Middleclick works for me (at least on a G4 CPU).
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Raptor007. The simple answer is that the 151249 patch failed on multiple files.
Since I dont use release builds myself I dont take the time to manually modify the patch to apply cleanly.

So if middle-click is a must, you're stuck with my 1.0.4 build. Or if you're comfortable with Firefox, try a nightly trunk build. But you should know that it is not error free!
Raptor007

Post by Raptor007 »

Thanks Powerbook, I thought maybe you'd just forgotten to apply the patch for middle-click. :¬)

I'm very happy with your 7450 1.0.4 build so I'll keep using that. I did give the G5-optimized trunk builds a try, but they don't work well with Tabbrowser Extensions, an extension that is indispensable for me. (Middle-click was functional though.)
cvoelker

FX-ppc7400-1.0.5.dmg - form fields dont work

Post by cvoelker »

Hello,

first of all, thanks for these accelerated builds. They are a huge advantage to me.

With this said, I have to admit that I had problems with them every now and then.
I switched back to the official builds then and did not bother. But official builds are
far to slow on my machine in the meanwhile (are does it only seem so after wor-
king with your Builds for some time?).

With the latest build, an issue comes back, that was fixed already. I cant enter
anything in text boxes. E.g. when I enter a search phrase in the search field and
want to modify this in the result page, it is not possible to do that. This is true for
www.google.de. Another Example is http://www.billetnet.dk/?ver=uk.

I have seen that somebody else has mentioned this problem before and that you
have answered that you updated the builds to use "Pretty form widgets". Judging
the time of your post, I have loaded my build after your post and the problem is
still in existence. Maybe a "last updated" field on the Site or something like this
would help in clarification. Also, the other user had a 7450 and I use the 7400.

Here are some details about my machine: G4 AGP 350 MHz, 576 MB RAM, MacOS
X "Panther" 10.3.9. The build was FX-ppc7400-1.0.5.dmg as of 13:29h MEST yes-
terday.

Thanks for all the work, Christian
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I noticed this same error, switched to the 1.0.5 official build, and still had the same problem. I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm going to wipe my profile out and let the 1.0.5 build recreate it.

I feel like this 1.0.5 release is pretty buggy. It's acting up on my Windows machine as well, doing odd things like failing to open live bookmark menus. I don't know what the deal is.

Also, has anyone else noticed that with 1.0.5, if you close all your windows on the Mac, and then try to make a new window, nothing happens? I found I had to restart Firefox everytime I accidentally closed all my windows. Again, could be a profile issue, but I wondered if anyone else noticed.
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

@cvoelker. Since you obviously have my last 1.0.5 build (downloaded after: "Updated builds are now ready for download") I dont think its caused by my optimization or by the "Pretty form widgets". Actually elfurbe tell that he have the same problem with the official 1.0.5 as well...

I can only suggest you try with a new profile and if its still a problem post in the bugs forum.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up! :)

@elfurbe. The problem you have with opening new windows after closing all of them is a known bug.
Its fixed in the nightly trunk builds, so in Firefox 1.1 it will work as expected.
kodeen

Post by kodeen »

powerbook,

like a dummy, i completely deleted my 1.0.4 before i installed 1.0.5, and now I want to revert due to the middle click issue. do you still have the 1.0.4 build somewhere unlinked on your mac.com page?
krmathis

Post by krmathis »

Since several of you miss the 'middle-click to open in new tab' feature in my 1.0.5 build, I have a challenge for you...
If any of you have the knowledge and time to modify the patch to apply cleanly, I know at least 2-3 persons who would be happy! The top price is a fresh middle-click enabled 1.0.5 build (if there are no additional problems). :D

This is the bug report, if you want to read more about it:
151249 - Middle click does nothing on Mac OS X

You find the needed files (patch + source files) here:
http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/Branch/151249.tar.bz2 - 32 KB

Thanks!
axs

Post by axs »

axs wrote:Can't confirm that, Middleclick works for me

Oops, I checked that again and must confess this is Due to the Logitech Drivers wich emulate "Command" + "Leftclick" on the middle Button
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

powerbook wrote:@elfurbe. The problem you have with opening new windows after closing all of them is a known bug.
Its fixed in the nightly trunk builds, so in Firefox 1.1 it will work as expected.

You know, after I deleted my profile and let 1.0.5 make a new one, I can close all my browser windows, and then hit command+N or click "new window" and get a new browser window, which is behavior I'm used to. I know there was an issue with the 1.0.x series where if you had nothing but the download manager up, you couldn't open a new window until it closed, but this problem was different.

I'm also experiencing another wierd profile issue. Firefox is constantly creating new bookmarks files in my profile folder. It seems like it can't write to the bookmarks.html file or something, but when I changed the permissions to 777, it actually overwrote the original bookmarks.html with a new one with 644 and then creates another file "bookmarks-1.html" with 644 permissions which looks identical to the first. Anyone know what that's about?