The list is out, pick your top 5

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
alanjstr

The list is out, pick your top 5

Post by alanjstr »

After combing the forums, a very long list of names has been produced.
We removed some of them from <a href="http://end.at/phoenixnamesfull">here</a> to create <a href="http://end.at/phoenixnames" title="big ass list">this list</a>. To find out why, read <a href="http://end.at/phoenixcutwhy">this</a>. Here is the <a href="http://dweb.digitalrice.com/phx_top5names.txt">current ranking</a>.

Include ONLY your top 5 choices (in a column for easier copy/paste parsing for those of us who will be hunter/gatherers). Anything else will be discarded. Don't bother giving a reason why you think A is better than B, just your top 5 picks.

I'll repeat again, I'm not looking for a discussion of what is good or bad here, just your top 5 picks. If your top 5 aren't on the list, well tough, you had your chance.

It's not as though anyone will bother reading this message, but I am occsionally updating it.

It is not MY list. It was the collective work of 5 people. Flii is graciously hosting the list, I merely decided to start this thread.

I used the unix sort command (on Cygwin on Win2k) to filter the list.
sort -f -u input.txt | grep -v zilla | grep -v moz > output.txt

Please refrain from putting text to the left or right of your actual 5 suggestions; that means bullets and numbers are bad. The thing that made culling the original list so hard was picking out the names from all the other discussion.
Last edited by alanjstr on January 12th, 2003, 11:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
flii

Post by flii »

*yawn* ok i'm awake... maybe. *rubs eyes* too bad i couldn't have 6. i really did like "sex". :D

firebird
flare/flair
fox
scamp
sphinx
pryan

Post by pryan »

Keystone
Quicksilver
Snapdragon
Xerxes
Zephyr
willll

Post by willll »

adder
Nirvana
Palantir
sphinx
Discovery
Last edited by willll on December 11th, 2002, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
zapata

Post by zapata »

Balrog
Bazooka
PIMP
Cockatrice
Sex
Last edited by zapata on December 11th, 2002, 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Campaign: $193,088,650
Tax refund to IBM, GE, GM: $2.5 billion
US Presidency: Priceless
cdn

Post by cdn »

Blake

Hermes

Merlin

Px

Wowhawk
seb

Post by seb »

Alan, you should change your post's title to something more clear (like "Phoenix name list" or whatever).
Chimera, Chimaera, Basilisk, and Komodo (among others) can not be used, too. They're already related to gecko-based products. And Raptor was the previous name of the Gecko/NGlayout engine, which was changed for trademark infringement reasons, so it's not even an option :)

Anyway, here's my top5:
  • Globe
  • Oceano
  • Tempe
  • Marvin
  • Odin
djnr

Post by djnr »

I like:

Sphinx
Fox
Athena
Voyager (oops, trademarked)
Argo

I'm a little discouraged at this thread.., there seems to be very little consensus still, and things like PIMP are getting suggested. Wake up people, we're not calling a browser "PIMP" or Balrog. We're gonna be here forever...

This name choosing exercise is not primarily an opportunity to express your individuality. Naturally personal taste plays a big part in this, but other things have to be considered, like

1. Is this a sane name for a web browser?
2. Would people be embarrassed to recommend this because of its name?

When you have children and want to name them Moon-unit, that's your perogative. Keep in mind that this is a piece of software that millions of people will use, and hopefully billions some day :)
Last edited by djnr on December 11th, 2002, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xfranky

Post by xfranky »

Spitfire
Oceano
Sphinx
Galileo
Discovery

Edit: Meridian can't be a name due to copyright stuff (Meridian is a company making Internet "Kiosks" with their own browser...)
Last edited by xfranky on January 12th, 2003, 3:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
..::XF::..
zapata

Post by zapata »

What's wrong with calling a well used product PIMP? Crazy names like Gnutella and stuff worked, so why you hatin' on pimps? Stop bein' a playa hater!
Campaign: $193,088,650
Tax refund to IBM, GE, GM: $2.5 billion
US Presidency: Priceless
djnr

Post by djnr »

{I Deleted my post because this is not the thread for discussion}
Last edited by djnr on December 11th, 2002, 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

Breeze
Hummingbird
Netbird
Nethopper
firebird
nogwa

Post by nogwa »

<br>
Discovery
Webfarer
Voyager
Moebius
Prometheus
<br>
edgeland

Post by edgeland »

That long, long list and Paladin is not on it?

How did you miss Paladin?

Definition from American Heritage Dictionary:

Paladin

1. A paragon of chivalry; a heroic champion. 2. A strong supporter or defender of a cause

Paladin is a strong name worthy of this browser and nobody is going to give you grief about using it. Well, I guess it's too late now. Too bad.
willll

Post by willll »

djnrempel wrote:Exactly. Choosing a browser name is not a matter of personal expression. While I personally adore people who exploit women through the sex trade, I just don't feel it's a sensible name for a web browser.

For what it's worth, I've posted list of 222 names that are IMO remotely sensible at http://dweb.digitalrice.com/PX_222_possible.txt. Have fun. I don't like 97% of these names still, but I removed most of the words that were meaningless (to me). There's borderline names that got wrongly chopped or included, but they're not likely to be contenders anyway I figured. At least we've given the dev team different stuff to work from, and the comprehensive lists are still available.

By the way XF, nice picks! The reason I didn't go for some of those is that they seemd so good I was scared to be told they all had browser trademarks already.

i think it is a good idea that someone is making a list of sensible names but i think u have left many valid names off your list (aurora, adder, betelgeuse, bobcat, cobra, cockatrice, Cumulus, decipher, leopard, minotaur, nirvana...) and people should continue to use the original list until a more comprehensive "sensible" list is pur out