Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 2 Is Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

Thunderbird 1.1 Alpha 2 Is Now Available

Post by mscott »

The second alpha for our upcoming 1.1 release is now available for download. This release is intended for testers ONLY, to get some early exposure on some of the new features under development for Thunderbird 1.1. It will contain bugs! If you are an end user using Thunderbird 1.0, please stay with 1.0. Thanks!

You can download the alpha from:

<a href="http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-1.1a2&os=win&lang=en-US">Windows</a>
<a href="http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-1.1a2&os=linux&lang=en-US">Linux</a>
<a href="http://download.mozilla.org/?product=thunderbird-1.1a2&os=osx&lang=en-US">Mac OS X</a>

<b>What's New For Testing in Alpha 2</b>
<ul>
<li>Please Read the <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1508168#1508168">What's new In Alpha 1 Release Notes</a> for a list of the new features that were added in the first alpha.
<li>You can now create message filter actions to automatically forward or reply (with a template) to incoming messages.
<li>The Junk Mail Controls dialog now has support for server side spam filtering. You can customize Thunderbird to look for Spam Assassin or Spam Pal spam headers when analyzing incoming e-mail and we'll mark the messages as junk as appropriate.
<li>Improved user interface for building up search criteria in the advanced search dialog, saved search folders dialog, and the filter editor.
<li>Support for Automatic Update Service like Firefox (disabled by default right now)
<li>Our RSS component now supports the abililty to export your feed subscriptions to OPLM format.
<li>On Windows, Thunderbird now registers itself to be a default handler for .eml files (if we are the default mail application).
<li>The ability to open .eml files in a stand alone message window, allowing you to save / open attachments contained within that .eml file.
<li>Support for message aging. Automatically deleting messages from folders after they reach a certain age. (Tools / Account Settings / Server / Offline Settings or from the folder properties dialog).
<li>The search dialog has a new folder picker control that lists all of the folders (including subfolders) as one single menu instead of using submenus for each level of hierarchy. This new control makes it much easier to pick folders to search and we hope to use it in other places in the UI.
<li>Lots of top crash fixes based on crash data we received from the first alpha.
<li>Fix several issues with Thunderbird failing to process return receipts for IMAP users.
<li>Bug fix improvements to the first alpha's new feature for deleting attachments from e-mail.
<li>Many bug fixes and other improvements.
</ul>
We welcome your feedback on all of these new features. Keep in mind they are still under development and will contain bugs. This is just an early peak.

<b>Known Issues</b>
Since this is an alpha release, there will be many more issues and bugs than you would find in a finished release like 1.0 was or eventually, 1.1 final. Here are some of the more noticeable ones:
<ul>
<li>In the new Options dialog, several menulist options cannot be changed including: The ability to change the addressbook we add outgoing messages to and the address book used to allow remote images.
<li>Windows users cannot paste images from the clipboard into the compose window like you can in 1.0. This feature will get added to 1.1 before 1.1 final.
<li>Help / About / Credits fails to render the credits page. Instead you'll see a yellow background with some red error text about a missing string.
</ul>
Last edited by mscott on September 8th, 2005, 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
asherwood

Keep up the great work.

Post by asherwood »

As a 7-year user of Eudora, I switched to Tbird 8 months ago and have never looked back.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for putting a tremendous effort on stability and feature enhancements!

--
Alex
mscott

Post by mscott »

I love stories like that :)
Thunderbirds are Go!
Dr Evil
Location: Her Majesty's Union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Dr Evil »

Eudora?!? Wow, I haven't used that since secondary school!
hansen

Post by hansen »

Was that in the previous millenium? :)
CyberSnooP

Stories like that.

Post by CyberSnooP »

After using Outlook Express for 3 years I switched to the mozilla mail client and later thinderbird and the brilliant improvements made all the time kept using this masterpiece.

As I can handle some bugs and like living on the bleeding edge I ran the previous alpha 1, but it never crashed on me (although I didn't realy tease it, but with multiple e-mail boxes, a quite old profile and occasionally weird moments to go into stand-by and stuff I expected to find at least something weird in an alpha). I'm curious to test alpha 2 :)
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

Working good so far...
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
Old Bozz

Post by Old Bozz »

# On Windows, Thunderbird now registers itself to be a default handler for .eml files (if we are the default mail application).
# The ability to open .eml files in a stand alone message window, allowing you to save / open attachments contained within that .eml file.

I hope this means that we won't be needing an extension for .eml messages or in my case, have to resend the message to myself and use OE to open>Forward and be able to edit .eml messages.
RickyC1976

Re: Thunderbird 1.1 Apha 2 Is Now Available

Post by RickyC1976 »

mscott wrote:<b>Known Issues</b>
Since this is an alpha release, there will be many more issues and bugs than you would find in a finished release like 1.0 was or eventually, 1.1 final. Here are some of the more noticeable ones:
<ul>
<li>In the new Options dialog, several menulist options cannot be changed including: The ability to change the addressbook we add outgoing messages to and the address book used to allow remote images.
<li>Windows users cannot paste images from the clipboard into the compose window like you can in 1.0. This feature will get added to 1.1 before 1.1 final.
<li>Help / About / Credits fails to render the credits page. Instead you'll see a yellow background with some red error text about a missing string.
</ul>

Help / About / Credits is working fine here.
Old Unghost

Post by Old Unghost »

Thunderbird 1.1 Apha 2 Is Now Available

It's Alpha, not Apha.
RikTheRik

Re: Thunderbird 1.1 Apha 2 Is Now Available

Post by RikTheRik »

mscott wrote:We welcome your feedback on all of these new features. Keep in mind they are still under development and will contain bugs. This is just an early peak.

You guys are really doing a amazing job with Thunderbird. I actually did not have any bug with the alpha 1 (it is my only email client). I really like the retention policy feature.

But my photo software (IMatch) still doesn't work with Thunderbird. I think it is a MAPI issue (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=259585)

Erik.
alienn

Post by alienn »

Hmmm... I like Thunderbird very much and I have made it my default mail client since 0.4. But there is one bug thats preventing me from rolling it out in several networks I administer. Will Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=224967 be fixed in 1.1?

Cheers
Alienn
eddanx

Post by eddanx »

Just a quick "keep up the good work"! I've been using alpha 1 since it got released and updated to alpha 2 today. It didn't break anything and it seems to work fine! Thanks.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Trying Alpha 2 today. Seems to be running fairly smoothly with same profile I was using for 1.0.2 and 1.0.5.

Sorry to see that a long-standing omission remains unfixed: In the Copies & Folders screen there is still no way to change the default Trash folder. (I know how to do it by editing the prefs.js but that kludge should not be necessary.)
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Glad to see that the entries for SMTP servers now contain a "description" field so that the extension "Show SMTP Username" is no longer needed. Also glad to see that the outbound server setting for a given account is no longer buried under the obscure "advanced" name.