Spreading Extensions by localization

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
jooliaan

Post by jooliaan »

AnonEmoose wrote:I was just saying that having TEM onboard would greatly enhance the project's reach.

Peoples coming from TEM (and other projects of course :)) will be very welcome :)

Seewak wrote:I sum up :
-We must warn authors that they do not have to update an extension if local are missing.
-We could create a glossary which list the "difficult" words and their translations. I know Frenchmozilla (team translating mozilla products into French) use a glossary written with the team translating OpenOffice.org into French.

Great sum, I agree on each of the points! :D

Sewaak wrote:-the site's name

The first one coming in my mind is: Lion's extensions (ROARRRRRRRRRRRR :lol:)
Seewak

Post by Seewak »

Why not BabelZilla ? :o
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; fr; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0+
Site Admin of Extensions.geckozone.org.
jooliaan

Post by jooliaan »

Seewak wrote:Why not BabelZilla ? :o

WOW! I like it! :D
The RedBurn

Post by The RedBurn »

I was thinking about something like extensionsl10n, but it's probably too much serious and not as imaginative as BabelZilla.
The only con for BabelZilla is that it doesn't make think about extensions.
goofyFr

Post by goofyFr »

MMMh
(semi-seriously) ExtensionsAreAllOver ?

TEL The Extension Link ?
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

BabelZilla or e10n would be good names.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
goofyFr

Post by goofyFr »

seewak wrote:What about :
-the categories

<ul>
<li>Updating extensions</li>
( with one thread per extension ?)

<li>New extensions</li>
<li>Projects and requests</li>
<li>Help</li>
- Howto (knowledge base)/ Tips and tricks
- Q & A
</ul>
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Name suggestion: extenl10n.

I think the forum used must be one that has the "description" field for individual topics. This could be used to keep track of the languages the extension has been translated to, so an example might look like this:

Luana

Post by Luana »

goofyFr wrote:MMMh
(semi-seriously) ExtensionsAreAllOver ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, i really like the last Cusser proposal: extenl10n
Technical name, but not too much :D

goofyFr wrote:<ul>
<li>Updating extensions</li>
( with one thread per extension ?)

Good idea, more the Cusser idea!
ADDED
Cusser wrote:I think the forum used must be one that has the "description" field for individual topics.

goofyFr wrote:<li>New extensions</li>

Maybe could be great to create also this section with one thread per extension more the Cusser idea! :wink:
ADDED
Cusser wrote:I think the forum used must be one that has the "description" field for individual topics.

What do you think about this?

goofyFr wrote:<li>Projects and requests</li>
<li>Help</li>
- Howto (knowledge base)/ Tips and tricks
- Q & A
</ul>

I agree
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

I'm just musing out loud.

With the new chrome.manifest structure, I'm wondering if locales can be installed separately from the extension. (essentially just adding an additional locale line pointing to the proper locale path or alternately deleting/renaming the original chrome.manifest so a new one is regenerated on startup which includes the newly added locale)

If so, extension authors need not include each locale prior to release, since it can be created/added later.. (Obviously this is assuming that he/she properly localized for at least one locale). As long as there was a collection/depository for corresponding locales all one would have to do is download & install it or just place it in the extension folder without the need to replace the jar (if the author originally packaged the extension in a jar).
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

AnonEmoose wrote:I'm wondering if locales can be installed separately from the extension.

Probably, but then we could run into situations where the extension is updated and the locale is not => instant parsing errors. I don't know if the extension system can cope with this sort of thing well (probably not), but in any case, updating the extension should not cause the language to revert.

Ideally, the more locales that can be included for an initial release, the better. Silently adding extra locales without bumping the version number is possible and should be encouraged until the auto-update system can deal with this stuff better (i.e. an en-US Firefox install should ignore an extension update that gives a de-DE locale as the only addition, since it's not relevent to that install).
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Cusser wrote:
AnonEmoose wrote:I'm wondering if locales can be installed separately from the extension.

Probably, but then we could run into situations where the extension is updated and the locale is not => instant parsing errors. I don't know if the extension system can cope with this sort of thing well (probably not), but in any case, updating the extension should not cause the language to revert.
Correctly you point out that only upon UPDATING an extension (which contains new labels/strings) would parsing errors occur. However it could easiely be remedied by installing an updated locale (if available) or by removing the chrome.manifest & the offending (older) locale which should correct the errors as a new chrome.manifest would be regenerated (provided there was contents.rdf included) upon FireFox restart

Cusser wrote:Ideally, the more locales that can be included for an initial release, the better. Silently adding extra locales without bumping the version number is possible and should be encouraged until the auto-update system can deal with this stuff better (i.e. an en-US Firefox install should ignore an extension update that gives a de-DE locale as the only addition, since it's not relevent to that install).
Agreed ...
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

while we're talking about l10n and locales installed separately, see bug 285848. It's an area that could definitely be improved.
xavivars

Post by xavivars »

I like more BabelZilla, but if you think el10n it's a good name, let's go!

And I'm with you that a forum with descriptions for each topic would be great.
goofyFr

Post by goofyFr »

cusser and xavivars wrote:a forum with descriptions for each topic would be great.

+1
Sure it would (whichever name it will have ;-) )