[CLOSED THREAD] Portable Firefox 1.0.6 Beta Released

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
CritterNYC

[CLOSED THREAD] Portable Firefox 1.0.6 Beta Released

Post by CritterNYC »

This thread has been retired now that Portable Firefox 1.0.7 has been released:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1757821

I've just released Portable Firefox 1.0.6. This release updates to Firefox 1.0.6 and adds in icons for the Firefox windows in Windows 95/98/Me. It does not yet include the updated PFF launcher that stores the Application Data plugin registry within Portable Firefox. That feature needs a bit more testing. It will be included in a future release. As with 1.0.5, it includes support for a split directory structure, allowing you to have a PortableApps directory with Apps and Data subdirectories, making it much easier to backup your data. (I'll be adding this setup into all 5 of my apps and my 2 yet-to-be-released ones) as well as support for the Mozilla Calendar extension, allowing it to be used as you move between computers and drive letters.

Download Portable Firefox 1.0.6 Beta:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

The Portable Firefox Launcher 1.1.0 is also available:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portab ... /#launcher

Please post any issues you find to this thread... especially comments about the new features.

Thanks!
John
Last edited by CritterNYC on September 21st, 2005, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
Jestre

Post by Jestre »

CritterNYC did it right again.
I am running portable Firefox 1.06 and everything is working fine for now.
The new launcher for Portable TB works too, but I wasn't willing to go back to 1.0.6 so I stuck with the alpha 2 build.
FYI, the Deerpark build and the TB alpha 2 work with the launcher also.
I even performed and update for grins, although you miss all the optimizations for space and it is very slow running the update on the USB drive.

My directory structure is like the new one but slightly modified:
-\
..+\Apps\
....+\firefox\ (or +\DeerPark\)
......+\plugins\
....+\PortableFirefox\ <--- Directory with PortableFirefox.exe (PortableApps, for instance)
..+\Data\
....+\Firefox.dat\
EDIT, Replace spaces with . and corrected location of PortableFirefox.exe

Thanks again, John
Last edited by Jestre on July 21st, 2005, 5:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Don't kick the monster!
Program a robot to smash it, Shoot it, Spear it or even Throw something at it (preferably a grenade), but NEVER kick the monster!
NOTE: does not apply to BLACK BELTS.
TryingToDeleteAcc

Post by TryingToDeleteAcc »

John....
You da Man! Nice turn around on the update. while I cannot offer and dough to help the project along, I am always willing to be a test rat for ya. Let me know if there are any beta versions you want tested before releasing as betas to public.

If I could make the suggestion, I think you might increase the popularity of PFF if you really push that the Firefox is an offical release and that only the launcher is in beta. I know at least 2 people that are waiting for you to label the project as final.
znaya

Post by znaya »

Hello.

First of all congratulations on your fantastic work. I don't use another browser for accessing the web at the job.

I use PortableFirefox since version 1.0 or 1.0.1 (i'm not sure) but lately i've noticed that I cannot access https websites! I keeps showing a "timed out" error. First I thought it could be a problem of my job proxy but than I noticed there was no problem when using IE.

When upgrading PF I always unpack it to a PortableFirefox directory at the usb key root and then copy the previous profile directory to the new PortableFirefox directory.

Can anyone, please, give me a clue on how to solve this problem?
-Z-
barkmanjost

Post by barkmanjost »

My sincere thanks, CritterNYC. I installed Portable Firfox on my jumb drive and it works well. I appreciate all of the hard work you have done on this program. Any way I can help financially? Thanks again.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Jestre wrote:CritterNYC did it right again.

Sliver wrote:You da Man! Nice turn around on the update. while I cannot offer and dough to help the project along, I am always willing to be a test rat for ya. Let me know if there are any beta versions you want tested before releasing as betas to public.

Thanks, guys. I appreciat the appreciation...

Sliver wrote:If I could make the suggestion, I think you might increase the popularity of PFF if you really push that the Firefox is an offical release and that only the launcher is in beta. I know at least 2 people that are waiting for you to label the project as final.

I've been waiting on a couple things gelling to call it a final. I think the AppData into a PFF temp directory is the last bit. I'm going to post a new test launcher tomorrow. Hopefully, it will be solid and next week, I can call them final.

Regards,
John
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

znaya wrote:I use PortableFirefox since version 1.0 or 1.0.1 (i'm not sure) but lately i've noticed that I cannot access https websites! I keeps showing a "timed out" error. First I thought it could be a problem of my job proxy but than I noticed there was no problem when using IE.

It's usually always a proxy configuration issue. And IE is configured by default at most companies. Check that out. If that's not it, you may want to create a new profile as your old one may be corrupt. Try a default install of PFF. If that can't do HTTPS, then it's a proxy issue.

Regards,
John
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

barkmanjost wrote:My sincere thanks, CritterNYC. I installed Portable Firfox on my jumb drive and it works well. I appreciate all of the hard work you have done on this program. Any way I can help financially? Thanks again.

Glad ya like it. I never did put up a tip jar or anything. If I did, I'd probably work on PFF, PTB, etc more in relation to the tips that came in. You think there'd be enough interest... even after a year of doing this?
Benobi

The 8th Wonder

Post by Benobi »

Thanks CritterNYC for your work. It is great, perfect.

I have put PFF on my iPod, installed some basic extentions such us Ad-Block and Gmail notifier, imported the blocked sites on Ad-block from my hard drive's profile, copied my bookmarks and... et voilà. Portable Firefox runs smoothly as if it were my HD's one.

Now wherever I go, I have my Firefox ready to work as if I were at home sit at my PC. I will recommend it to some friends that are obliged to use IE at their works.

If you need something to translate into Spanish you have me here to help you.

Thank you so much. Go on with the great work.
Wesmosis1

Post by Wesmosis1 »

God! I wished that I wanna be the first post to congratulate ya on this cool presonal-effort project!
anyway, I'll test this 1.0.6 so hardly and report any thing useful

about Ugrading.I think I only should extract the zip file over my current PFF? am I right? coz I don't want to to mess things up!
In other words.........I need my all previous settings.......so hould I replace only the Launcher PortableFirefox.exe?
plz answer me ASAP coz I'm dying to run it! :P:)

it includes support for a split directory structure, allowing you to have a PortableApps directory with Apps and Data subdirectories, making it much easier to backup your data.

Can you plz elaborate on this issue? coz I'm so obseesed with backing'up stuff! I even make the backup for the backup! LOL
Wesmosis1

Post by Wesmosis1 »

ok I couldn't wait, so I tried and I think I successed (correct me if I went wrong!)
I replaced all the folders and files EXCEPT the PROFILE folder!
what do you think Jhon?
TryingToDeleteAcc

Post by TryingToDeleteAcc »

Wesmosis1, You did the right thing. Next time I would suggest deleteing the other directories first just to make sure that there are no phantom files left that will mess with FF running. Just make sure to leave your profile folder alone and you will be good.
Jestre

Updates & Tips

Post by Jestre »

John,
Have you considered the update sytem they are testing, do you think we will ever be able to use:
app.update.url=http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org:8711/update2/0/%PRODUCT%/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/update.xml
instead of https://aus-staging.mozilla.org:8711/update2/0/%PRODUCT%/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/update.xml
Just for the FF or TB code precompressed anyway.

Also you do need a tip jar!
At least setup PortableTips 'at johnha11er.com as a Paypal account? Even if it only brings in $20 a month that would buy a few at the local pub.
Jestre
Last edited by Jestre on July 22nd, 2005, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't kick the monster!
Program a robot to smash it, Shoot it, Spear it or even Throw something at it (preferably a grenade), but NEVER kick the monster!
Jestre

Post by Jestre »

Wesmosis1 wrote:
CritterNYC wrote:it includes support for a split directory structure, allowing you to have a PortableApps directory with Apps and Data subdirectories, making it much easier to backup your data.

Can you plz elaborate on this issue? coz I'm so obseesed with backing'up stuff! I even make the backup for the backup! LOL

Check out the directory structure in the second post, (I fixed it, HTML compressed the spaces)

Try using a batch file (i.e. Daily backup.bat), mine is set up like this:
\Apps\7z u -r "C:\Backups\Firefox.dat.%date%.7z" "\Data\Firefox.dat"
\Apps\7z u -r "C:\Backups\T-Bird.dat.%date%.7z" "\Data\T-Bird.dat"
Pause Done!
rem PKzip will work instead of 7zip too.

Or archive the entire data directory with your favorite backup tool.

This is nice as with one click it backs it up and records the date in the filename for a sequential dated archive. You could also just type the commands in a command prompt or on the Start Run under windows.

Also set up Bookmarks backup "http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/" as that will back up most any of the application specific data you want daily if you forget the other backup.

These practices have saved my data more than once, since I am fond of daily builds.
YMMV
Jestre
Don't kick the monster!
CritterNYC

Re: Updates & Tips

Post by CritterNYC »

Jestre wrote:Have you considered the update sytem they are testing, do you think we will ever be able to use:
app.update.url=http://portablefirefox.mozdev.org:8711/update2/0/%PRODUCT%/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/update.xml
instead of https://aus-staging.mozilla.org:8711/update2/0/%PRODUCT%/%VERSION%/%BUILD_ID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/update.xml
Just for the FF or TB code precompressed anyway.

Someone else tested Deer Park with the Portable Firefox launcher in a standard configuration and it worked fine. So, it appears we will be able to use it (although uncompressed).

Also you do need a tip jar! At least setup PortableTips (at) johnhaller . com as a Paypal account? Even if it only brings in $20 a month that would buy a few at the local pub.

Perhaps I will. Maybe it'll buy a pitcher or two at the beer garden here in Astoria. Oh, one request... please edit your post so it isn't a valid email address (I wouldn't want to setup PortableTips@ if it's already in the wild getting spam).

BTW - Thanks for helping with other user's questions. You, too, Sliver.

Regards,
John