Remember where I have read to *within* a thread

Talk about stuff specific to the site -- bugs, suggestions, and of course praise welcome.
Simon Kellett

Remember where I have read to *within* a thread

Post by Simon Kellett »

Firstly apoligies if I have missed a config option or button but:

It is great that the forum remembers which *threads* have been unpdated since I last visited, but is it possible to mark which message *within* a thread I have read up to (especially for long threads it can take some time to manually skip over what I have already read.)

Thanks, Simon
old jasonb

Re: Remember where I have read to *within* a thread

Post by old jasonb »

Simon Kellett wrote:is it possible to mark which message *within* a thread I have read

I don't see how that's technically possible. The Web site can't know how far you've scrolled down in your browser. Since the whole thread is a single page (rather than individual messages) I don't think there's any way of accomplishing what you want.
Sn4xx0r

Post by Sn4xx0r »

JBassford wrote:I don't see how that's technically possible. The Web site can't know how far you've scrolled down in your browser.

But it does know which messages have been shown to you, regardless of how far you scroll down. So next time you login, the messages you've already read *could* be flagged as 'read', or new ones as 'new' somehow. Don't have a clue it this is feasible, maybe the forum software would become to slow if it has to store/use this info. Or am I missing something here?
stmoebius

Post by stmoebius »

I think the 'right arrow, litte orange document' icon does what you want. It takes you to the first post that was posted after you visited last. Forget about the 'View newest post'-title of that icon, that's somewhat misleading...
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Sometimes I'm amazed how people can start a thread about an issue that is explained IN THE TOP THREAD OF THE FORUM THEY POST IN.
Talk about creating unnessecary spam...

http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1222
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

stmoebius wrote:I think the 'right arrow, litte orange document' icon does what you want.

Yes, it will take you to the first unread post in a discussion subject - but there won't be any visual indicator (within the discussion) of unread messages (similar to what we have with unread discussions).
wget

Post by wget »

JBassford wrote:there won't be any visual indicator (within the discussion) of unread messages (similar to what we have with unread discussions).

Yes, there will. Just look at the little document icon to the left of the date. It'll change color (and tooltip) depending on whether it's a new posting or not. You can even link to it should you want to.
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

wget wrote:Just look at the little document icon to the left of the date. It'll change color (and tooltip) depending on whether it's a new posting or not.

After actually looking for this...so it does. Well, how about that. I've seldom "argued" so long for something so wrong. I need better drugs or something...
Simon Kellett

Post by Simon Kellett »

JBassford wrote:I don't see how that's technically possible. The Web site can't know how far you've scrolled down in your browser.

To clarify: what I would like is that it is *time* based: just like when I press "Mark all topics read" it remembers for next time which *threads* have been updated (and marks them with the orange page in a circle) I would like to be able to jump, for a given topic, to the first message after the time that I last pressed "Mark all topics read".

JBassford wrote:Since the whole thread is a single page (rather than individual messages) I don't think there's any way of accomplishing what you want.

Each message in the page could be tagged, and a link jumps straight to that tagged message. Or if the page is created dynamically could not the page be served to me with just the new messages on ?

Regards, Simon
Simon Kellett

Post by Simon Kellett »

Stefan wrote:Sometimes I'm amazed how people can start a thread about an issue that is explained IN THE TOP THREAD OF THE FORUM THEY POST IN.

Stefan, I read the thread, and I have just read it again but I can not see how it helps me (I am refering to my position *within* a thread: I understand about the cookies, and can see from the forum page which *topics* have new entries (the Orange page) but I want to jump to the first new message *within* the thread.

Regards, Simon
Simon Kellett

Post by Simon Kellett »

stmoebius wrote:I think the 'right arrow, litte orange document'...

Excellent: this seems to do what I want, although it is hard to test as not much time has elapsed yet and so there is often only 1 new message in a thread.
(I had not noticed the arrow, and certainly the tool-tip is misleading.)

Regards, Simon
Sn4xx0r

Post by Sn4xx0r »

Simon Kellett wrote:(I had not noticed the arrow, and certainly the tool-tip is misleading.)

BartVB, you reading this? :) A better tooltip would be "View first new post", IMHO. The newest post is the one that is linked to from the "Last Post" column.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Simon Kellett wrote:
Stefan wrote:Sometimes I'm amazed how people can start a thread about an issue that is explained IN THE TOP THREAD OF THE FORUM THEY POST IN.

Stefan, I read the thread, and I have just read it again but I can not see how it helps me (I am refering to my position *within* a thread:

BartVB wrote:phpBB checks your last session time (on the server) and it keeps track of individual forums in the cookies.
Because the capacity of cookies is very limited keeping track of read status is limited too. In phpBB 2.2 we're going to take a completely different approach that perfectly tracks what you've read and what not. Using it already on my own forum and I works pretty sweet (if I say so myself :D).

I think it's pretty clear that what you are asking for is compleatly impossible with the current version of the software, but that with the next version it might be.