Firefox Locks Up when Downloading

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pentapenguin

Firefox Locks Up when Downloading

Post by pentapenguin »

Hello.
First, I'd like to say that I'm a huge Firefox fan!
Go Firefox! :D

Anyways, here's my problem which isn't big but still a little annoying.
Every time I try to download something in Firefox, it locks up--i.e. you can't click on any links, open a new tab, etc.
(This also happens occasionally when saving a web page.)
The size doesn't matter--a 50KB file will lock the browser up just as much as a 50MB file would.
After around 10-20 seconds, Firefox "unlocks" up, and the download meter usually pops up.
At first I thought it was a problem with an earlier version of Firefox, but it has effected me since 1.0 (and I have 1.0.6 now).
I thought that it was maybe a problem with Norton Anti Virus Professional 2004, but disabling auto protect didn't seem to help any.
My computer acts funny at times (the gnomes you know ;) ) so I wouldn't be surprised if this is just me though any help would be appreciated. ;)
pentapenguin.com || My phpBB MODs
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6
charles

Post by charles »

Sounds like a download file needs to be cleaned out. Try Tools > Downloads > Clean up.
If this clears up the problem you might think about changing your settings in Tools > Options > Privacy > Download manager history and change the setting under Remove files from the download manager to either Remove when FFox exits or when download completes.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

If you're unable to access your download manager, then this conversation between LeRoi and Mr. Bignose will probably set you straight:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=285091

Motto: Don't be a packrat... :)
pentapenguin

Post by pentapenguin »

Ah brilliant, simple solution charles!
Between saved web pages and downloads, I'd racked up probably at least 800-1000 downloads (yes I keep busy! :lol: ).
Thanks again and I posted about it on my site to help other users.

And bushvenom, I won't be a packrat any longer! :lol:
pentapenguin.com || My phpBB MODs
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6