Unable to send mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ANorcross

Unable to send mail

Post by ANorcross »

I have just upgraded both my parents computers to Firefox 1.06/Thunderbird 1.06 and everything seems to work apart from sending emails and I get the same problems on both computers.

The message I get is "An error occured while sending mail. The mail server responded: Administrative prohibition. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again."

I have checked the settings compared to my computer (running the same version on Thunderbird) and they appear to be correct. Any ideas?
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

Check your firewall to make sure that Thunderbird 1.0.6 has been given permission. Your firewall considers the new version of Thunderbird to be a brand-new application.

Post by Guest »

I am having the same problem on my laptop, but not on my home computer. I have checked ZoneAlarms program control and Thunderbird does have access to send mail and the username has been retyped multiple times.

When I attempt to send a message I get an Alert dialog box that states..."An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: relaying mail to partypoker.net is not allowed. Please verify that your e-mail address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again." For what it's worth, this does not happen if I try to send a message to anyone with an address that end with "@cox.net" which is my ISP. No other addresses, however, seem to be valid.
tkozikow

Post by tkozikow »

Anonymous wrote:I am having the same problem on my laptop, but not on my home computer. I have checked ZoneAlarms program control and Thunderbird does have access to send mail and the username has been retyped multiple times.

When I attempt to send a message I get an Alert dialog box that states..."An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: relaying mail to partypoker.net is not allowed. Please verify that your e-mail address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again." For what it's worth, this does not happen if I try to send a message to anyone with an address that end with "@cox.net" which is my ISP. No other addresses, however, seem to be valid.
FYI, I forget to login when I sent the above message. Replies can be sent to tkozikow at hotmail.com.

Thanks!
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

Have you contacted your ISP?
cashmoney

unable to send email, too.

Post by cashmoney »

I am trying to send email but I keep getting an error message that reads: the mail server responded 5.7.1 <email address>...Relaying denied. Please verfiy that your email address is correct in your mail preferences and check try again. I checked and tried re-typing them in and nothing works. I installed the update today and then had problems with the email. I can receive but not send.
pat24ct

problem sending email

Post by pat24ct »

When I try to send my email, I get a smtp server error message.
old SKopischke

Re: unable to send email, too.

Post by old SKopischke »

cashmoney wrote:I am trying to send email but I keep getting an error message that reads: the mail server responded 5.7.1 <email address>...Relaying denied. Please verfiy that your email address is correct in your mail preferences and check try again. I checked and tried re-typing them in and nothing works. I installed the update today and then had problems with the email. I can receive but not send.

"Relaying denied" error messages may indicate a problem at the ISP. You may want to contact them to see how they might be able to help.
old SKopischke

Re: problem sending email

Post by old SKopischke »

pat24ct wrote:When I try to send my email, I get a smtp server error message.

-> Which version of Thunderbird?
-> What operating system?
-> Do you have any extensions installed?
-> Do you use a theme other than the default?
-> What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
-> Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
-> What is the exact error message?
tkozikow

Post by tkozikow »

SKopischke wrote:
pat24ct wrote:When I try to send my email, I get a smtp server error message.

-> Which version of Thunderbird?
-> What operating system?
-> Do you have any extensions installed?
-> Do you use a theme other than the default?
-> What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
-> Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
-> What is the exact error message?
I am running v1.06 on both my home computer and laptop. T'bird works great (can send and receive) at home, but unable to send messages on laptop. Laptop OS is Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2. I am not using any extensions or themes on this computer. Not sure whether this is an IMAP or POP account, but the ISP and mail service provider is my cable company, Cox. If I try to send an e-mail to a user at any domain EXCEPT cox.net (e.g., bob@bob.net), the error message reads...

"An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: relaying mail to bob.net is not allowed. Please verify that your e-mail address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again."

The message is displayed in a dialog box with an alert symbol (a yellow triangle with an explanation point inside). I am using the ZoneAlarm firewall on both computers with identical settings.

I have contacted Cox technical support on several occassions and was told that the only e-mail client that they support is OE and that they know nothing about firewalls except for what is included with their security suite or with the Microsoft OS. I have thought about trying their free security suite, but would like to see if I can get this to work.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

What happens when you temporarily disable ZoneAlarm?

(In my opinion, the problem is not an e-mail client problem, despite Cox' insistences. Their approach to problem solving and customer service would make me strongly consider another ISP. I know that may not be possible for you, but if it is, you might want to give it some thought.)
tkozikow

Post by tkozikow »

SKopischke wrote:What happens when you temporarily disable ZoneAlarm?

(In my opinion, the problem is not an e-mail client problem, despite Cox' insistences. Their approach to problem solving and customer service would make me strongly consider another ISP. I know that may not be possible for you, but if it is, you might want to give it some thought.)
I turned off ZoneAlarm and restarted the laptop with the same results. I tend to agree that this is not a problem with the e-mail client and also agree that Cox seeks the path of least resistance with regard to customer service and troubleshooting problems. Just for kicks, I tried to send a message with OE and got the following error message...

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'bob@bob.net'. Subject 'Test Message', Account: 'Cox', Server: 'smtp.east.cox.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying mail to bob.net is not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

It is a bit more verbose, but essentially the same content. Also, is it odd that I can send messages to the cox.net domain? I have checked every option screen between the two computers and the only difference that I can tell is that the laptop is using a wireless connection and the PC is on a Ethernet cable.

I would change ISPs, probably to verizon.net, if I could get get DSL, but it is not available in my neighborhood.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

I think you have answered your own question and given yourself ammunition for your next conversation with Cox. If you see the same problem with OE as you do with Thunderbird, the problem is quite obviously on their side of the mail transaction.

I have a friend near to me whose ISP is his cable provider. I have a different cable provider as my ISP and our ease of setup experiences could not be more different. I plug a computer into my cable modem or wireless router and it connects. His ISP requires some rather tortuous workstation configuration that they trust only their installers to perform. I also know of some ISP's that charge extra for additional computers on your Internet connection. Is Cox one of those?
jsdufresne

Post by jsdufresne »

Hi there!

I have read all your conversation and found it really interesting... I have the same problem! Thunderbird doesn't want to send messages on my laptop, but will accept to receive... I discovered that the only messages I could send where to the sympatico.ca domain (which is my ISP domain) but it will return the same error message as yours when I try another domain... Therefore, maybe the problem is not necessarily linked with the ISP as mine is different than yours and I still have the same problem... I am using Norton Internet Security but disabled it, and also the Windows Firewall, but it doesn't works more...

Do you have any more tips on what I should try?

Thank you very much!!
tkozikow

Post by tkozikow »

FWIW, I added a new SMTP server last week, using my office e-mail account, which works just fine. I find it really strange/weird/annoying that the cox.net mail server is giving me this much grief and I now tend to agree that it is the ISP since there are now at least two of us with different service providers having the same problem.

Is there any way that you can try a different outgoing mail server? Do you have a second computer that does not have this problem? As I mentioned in my earlier posts, everything is fine on my home desktop. As unlikely as this sounds, is it possible that this is a LAPTOP OS or configuration issue?