files deleted

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Iavor

Post by Iavor »

Hi,

I originally reported this bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=270705 when the same happened to me.

The only answer I got was an arrogant explanation that "the big IT guys in the big companies want it like that" and the bug was marked as INVALID.

So, we the small people should go back to IE which migh have one or another flaw from time to time (Firefox has more anyway) and leave Firefox to the big IT guys in the big companies.

That's the message so far.
yankeesbeliever

Post by yankeesbeliever »

So I guess I didn't read the warning well enough. Dang....oh well. I'll survive. I'll be more careful next time. Thanks guys
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If there's not a prominent warning when you create a profile in a non-default location, telling you to put it in an empty folder, I consider that a bug.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.1, Developer Edition 126.0b2, Nightly 127.0a1.
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Thanks.
yankeesbeliever

I put the profile where it said to...what didn't work was when I deleted the profile and all my files were deleted also. There wasn't a prominent warning then that it would delete my files.
LarryJ

Post by LarryJ »

You can't have put the profile data where it said to originally. That is where the problem originated. I agree with those who have said that, where a user is allowed to specifiy a non-default location, the dialog should have one sentence saying 'create a separate folder in your desired location so that data is stored properly apart from other data'. I agree with 'greenknight' that the absence of that is essentially a bug simply because of the consequences.
yankeesbeliever

I thought I did but I guess I didn't. Thanks for the clarification
LarryJ

Post by LarryJ »

Just so you know, here are the default locations for every Operating System:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder#Firefox
yankeesbeliever

That's where I put my profile at
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I guess I misunderstood what you posted in another thread - what exactly were you trying to say here? Please clarify.

"I have a question going along with this."

"I created a profile and it put My Documents under the files. I then deleted that profile on accident and loss every file saved on my computer."
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.1, Developer Edition 126.0b2, Nightly 127.0a1.
yankeesbeliever

I said it wrong then. I created a profile and I just put it in the default location. I think they linked My Documents to the profile because when I deleted the profile everything in My Documents got erased.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen in this forum.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

I don't think its possible (or at least very difficult) to have the profile only delete its own files when deleting - extensions can add more files and folders.

Here is an 'alternative' bug to this problem: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=278230
It requests that the default be for profile manager to always create a subfolder in the specified location for a new profile. At the moment, this only happens for the default location.
E.g. if you create a profile called "Profile001" in C:\My Documents, the defult will be for it to created in C:\My Documents\Profile001\ instead of C:\My Documents (unless you change the path or change a setting)

If you want to see this happen, get a bugzilla account and vote for the bug. The more votes a bug gets, the more likely it will get fixed.

yankeesbeliever wrote:I think they linked My Documents to the profile because when I deleted the profile everything in My Documents got erased.
That woud never happen. When you delete a profile, Profile Manager will delete only one thing - the folder the profile's files are stored in.

P.S. There was an offensive post in this thread, but I cut it out.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
rossbricklin

DUMB DUMB DUMB

Post by rossbricklin »

I literally can't believe the Firefox developers are so arrogant and short-sighted that it's possible to delete your hard drive by selecting a simple remove profile option. I have no idea ehere my profile is located, and why should I? But now I think I need to check!
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

In all fairness, you would have to fail to notice that when you delete the profile, it will tell you the name of the folder you are deleting.

If you don't like it, get a bugzilla account and vote for the bug I linked to - its the only way it will be fixed.

And if you have no idea where your profile is located, then you probably never created a profile in a specific location - in which case, it is in the default location and you shoud have no problem.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0