High CPU Usage..in Firefox?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
storm119

High CPU Usage..in Firefox?

Post by storm119 »

Lemme start, some folks (using nVidia) had an issues with high cpu usage with large animated gifs but its not happens to me. I'm wondering if we could discuss more specific to this issues here and the goal to find the truth behind this issuess or mybe we could find some solutions/suggestions to narrow it down... at least.

I guess you know the drill, so start post your results.... and for folks using other than nVidia base card also *Encourage* to post thier results here so we can compare it.

Test Case/My Results:

1). Powerskater
CPU usage: 00-02% (static) ~ 00-22% (scroll up/down).

2). Futuremark Forum.
CPU usage: 00-02% (static) ~ 00-33% (scroll up/down).

XP Pro SP2
MoBo : AsRock P4I45D
Processor: Intel P4 2.4B (NorthWood)
Monitor: LCD
Video Card: nVidia Geforce4 MMX 440 64DDR
Forceware Version: 71.84
Firefox BuilID: 2005072906 & 2005072921.
With few tabs open (9 in totals).

My guess this issues not related to nVidia card....or mybe i'm wrong...?
Last edited by storm119 on July 31st, 2005, 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soulburner

Post by Soulburner »

DeerPark Alpha 2 (latest nightly) uses up to 16% of CPU usage (scrolling) and explorer, when in Windows folder, also uses up to 16% while scrolling.
Check if you have a similar CPU usage in other applications.

AthlonXP 2000+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9800PRO.
Lost User 73769

Post by Lost User 73769 »

I would never have complained about 33%, funny enough, I used to get horrendous slowdowns and juddering with 100%CPU for all the scrolling bug conditions more or less, the "slow scrolling in pages with position:fixed elements" one, the large GIF one and the PNG background one. Most pages used a lot of CPU when scrolling, this forum for instance used to hit 80%, but I would have been happy with that if that was tops, but as I say 100% was frequently experienced on a lot of sites with huge lags. No problems with any other software though, only Firefox. Hardware acceleration turned down 1 notch worked wonders but caused other hiccups so I didn't use this bodge.

Nowadays with the latest trunk builds I don't notice much of a problem with any of these scrolling bugs on any sites I visit, but your links get me hitting 100% CPU, so lots of animated GIFs or probably large animated GIFs (couldn't find a suitable site ATM) are obviously still a problem. However, the scrolling is smoothish despite the 100% CPU, I've seen worse, much worse before the latest trunk builds. The 1.0.5 version still caused me problems, have given up until 1.1 comes out with anything but trunk builds. Isn't there a new rendering engine going to be used soon anyway?

MoBo: Asrock K7S8X
Pro : AMD Athlon 2400XP
Memory : 1.25Gb
Video : nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200
Forceware ver: 7.7.1.3 beta (have tried many older ones, all the same CPU%)
Firefox build : 20050724 Firefox/1.0+ (stipe)
Default Theme, no difference with/without extensions, new profile.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Those numbers are not high at all, you've got no problem.

I get 100% CPU when scrolling, also not a problem, as long as it drops when I stop scrolling.

As long as performance isn't impaired, these numbers don't matter. If there is a problem, the numbers might give you a clue as to why.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 124.0.1, Developer Edition 125.0b5, Nightly 126.0a1.
Lost User 73769

Post by Lost User 73769 »

I can assure you that in the worst case, performance is impaired when you're running another low CPU usage program at the same time, i.e. the other program just stops dead for a second or two every time you scroll.
Soulburner

Post by Soulburner »

...that's why we need processors with two cores, like Athlon X2 :lol:
Recall

Post by Recall »

Yes I see you saw my post in the bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... &id=293222

I get 60% on the first one, which goes up top 88% on scrolling

The second one is locked at 100%.

I am using:

A64 3500+
1GB Ram
6800GT
77.76 Drivers ( tried loads )
Apparently there is no chance of this being fixed for this engine, but gecko 1.9 will have a new graphics rendering engine. I would submit this to Nvidia, but not entriley convinved they would accept this. Also not sure who to email.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Actually i never had problem or complained with large animated gifs coz to used high % CPU usage on my box. My cpu show lower compared to some folks.

My attention was since some folks said thier Firefox used up to 100% cpu usage becoz its something to do with nvidia card installed on thier box. My respond to this issues is no..its nothing to do with nVidia or maybe i was wrong becoz its happens to some folks. So i started this thread so we have something to compare to. With more data/results folks will post here we could answer few questions ....

1). Is it true Firefox + nVidia will coz high cpu usage..?
2). Firefox + other graphic cards (ie: ATI etc) behave normal/low cpu usage ...?
3). Is it normal for Firefox to used high % cpu on some sites with large gifs..?, or
4). Its something else that coz Firefox used up to 100% cpu usage on some sites with large animated gifs...?

Bottom line we could help the developer to recognize the actual problem Firefox behave strange with large animated gifs /PNG/flash etc ... imho.

Sorry for this confusing.

@Recall yup!... but not only you having this issuess i saw fews ;)

(ps: i edited my first post for less confusing)
Last edited by storm119 on July 30th, 2005, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elfguy

Post by Elfguy »

Well we shouldn't need double core CPUs to run a browser.. however I have to say I don't really experience performance problems on my home system. At work, I use a 500mhz system, and on some pages that have tons of renderint to do such as http://www.howardforums.com I get 10-30secs freeze while it renders. IE freezes too but for 2-3 secs on the same page. So that's probably a bug.
Recall

Post by Recall »

1. Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
2. In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab, and then click the Advanced button.
3. Click the Troubleshoot tab, and then turn down acceleration by one notch.

High CPU usage bug is gone
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0
myzar74

Post by myzar74 »

storm119 wrote:Actually i never had problem or complained with large animated gifs coz to used high % CPU usage on my box. My cpu show lower compared to some folks.

My attention was since some folks said thier Firefox used up to 100% cpu usage becoz its something to do with nvidia card installed on thier box. My respond to this issues is no..its nothing to do with nVidia or maybe i was wrong becoz its happens to some folks. So i started this thread so we have something to compare to. With more data/results folks will post here we could answer few questions ....

1). Is it true Firefox + nVidia will coz high cpu usage..?
2). Firefox + other graphic cards (ie: ATI etc) behave normal/low cpu usage ...?
3). Is it normal for Firefox to used high % cpu on some sites with large gifs..?, or
4). Its something else that coz Firefox used up to 100% cpu usage on some sites with large animated gifs...?

Bottom line we could help the developer to recognize the actual problem Firefox behave strange with large animated gifs /PNG/flash etc ... imho.

Sorry for this confusing.

@Recall yup!... but not only you having this issuess i saw fews ;)

(ps: i edited my first post for less confusing)

animated gifs cause 100% cpu usage on my pc and i've an nvidia card, my solution is to drop hw acceleration a notch that fixes the problem but is a workaround because ff is the only app giving me that problem.

There's something wrong with accelerated bitmaps and ff
storm119

Post by storm119 »

myzar74 wrote:animated gifs cause 100% cpu usage on my pc and i've an nvidia card, my solution is to drop hw acceleration a notch that fixes the problem but is a workaround because ff is the only app giving me that problem.

I've set to fulled hardware acceleration w/o causing me a problems. I guess i'm lucky (touched wood). :)

There's something wrong with accelerated bitmaps and ff

Not sure but yay!...this is what i'm thinking, too. Some folks with nVidia will get this effect.
myzar74

Post by myzar74 »

and it's 100% of kernel time not normal user space so it's the driver acting up but i've no idea y ff is the only app upsetting it

i've a 6600gt and i've tried almost every forceware released
mmoy

Post by mmoy »

Mozilla is spending its time copying bits to Windows instead of telling Windows just to save the bits and repaint them. That was my conclusion running a code profiler on the performance problem and looking at the code.
Dell E521 X2 5600+ MacBookPro 17'' 2.5 Ghz Penryn Dell M1330 2.0 Ghz Merom 4 GB Vista x64 Compaq r3000z AMD 64 3200+ (Win 32/64) PowerMac G5 1.8 Ghz MMOY-1.5 (OSX 10) Inspiron 8500, 4100, 4000, Dimension 2300 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz HP E6600 HP X2 4400+
Recall

Post by Recall »

mmoy wrote:Mozilla is spending its time copying bits to Windows instead of telling Windows just to save the bits and repaint them. That was my conclusion running a code profiler on the performance problem and looking at the code.

Ahh thanks for that. Is it possible you could apply a workaround with your gif opts in your builds? It would be greatly appreciated.