Summary of Can't Connect/timeout Solutions

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
manc39

Post by manc39 »

Hopefully this bug will prevent a number of users with can't connect errors coming here.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b1) Gecko/20060712 BonEcho/2.0b1
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Right, Manc. The bug report is for a more readable error message. I think I've seen it and used it, and it's nice.

But if I understand correctly, it doesn't do anything to solve the problem for users. It just gets them off our backs. Correct?

One possible side effect, however, is that I now wonder if I have seen the identical problem with the Mozilla site -- caching network errors and not allowing retries for a few minutes. (This is speculative.)
Last edited by AnotherGuest. on July 31st, 2005, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
manc39

Post by manc39 »

Well, it tells them to check their firewalls...which ought to solve their problems and get them off our backs! :p

edit: not sure what this not allowing retries stuff is?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1b1) Gecko/20060712 BonEcho/2.0b1
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Oh, yes, I see that in there now. I skimmed it, but I gave up trying to figure out exactly what it was about.
Josh Blair

Post by Josh Blair »

I can not access:

www.espn.com
http://dlenote.ed.gov
and certain other .gov sites

I called my ISP and they just told me to run an anti-virus program. Thanks, assholes.

My info:

Windows XP SP2
Firefox 1.0.6 w/ Dom Inspector, Bandwith tester, Disable targets for downloads, image zoom, nuke anything, tabbrowser preferences and download manager tweak extensions
Linksys wireless router (my computer is wired)

I tried bypassing the router and disabling the windows firewall, but neither of those work. I immediately get the "This document contains no data" alert.
Josh Blair

Post by Josh Blair »

I typed 'tracert dlenote.ed.gov' and it timed out all 30 times. What do I do now?
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Josh Blair wrote:I typed 'tracert dlenote.ed.gov' and it timed out all 30 times. What do I do now?

<b>This proves it's not a Firefox problem.</b> It times out for me too, right after p6-0-0.csc14.bbnplanet.net [4.24.92.98]. Either there's a network problem or the site is down. Maybe someone just turned off the computer!
Josh Blair

Post by Josh Blair »

I knew it wasn't a FF problem because it does it in IE too. IE also won't connect to the other sites.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

The https://dlenote.ed.gov/empn/index.jsp site (note - secure site) is working fine for me. So is ESPN. Try them now...
Josh Blair

Post by Josh Blair »

They haven't worked for me for months.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

Flush your DNS to see if that helps. Click Start > Run > type <b>ipconfig /flushdns</b> then click OK...
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

That's odd. Firefox can reach it easily, but tracert cannot.

Before you flush the dns, try <b>ipconfig /displaydns</b> and let us know what the results are. At the moment the DNS cache shows an unspecified IP address with about 10 minutes left to live.

Also, before you flush the dns, check one more time and see if it works. If it doesn't, then try it by IP address: 198.77.203.224 . Enter the address into the Firefox address box.
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

Please let us know the results. If that doesn't work, I have another idea that may solve the problem.
Josh Blair

Post by Josh Blair »

I already flushed the DNS, to no avail. When I try ipconfig /displaydns, it just scrolls through something real fast and then the window closes. I also tried the IP and that did not work.
Roger77

Post by Roger77 »

Try it from Command Prompt, not Run.exe

Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt