Collecting money to find someone to solve bug #252371

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
rseyfrie

Collecting money to find someone to solve bug #252371

Post by rseyfrie »

<b>The situation so far:</b>
<a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=252371" target="_blank">Bug #252371 - incremental find/search in page does not find/highlight text in textarea/form/text entry boxes</a> which has been a regression since FF PR1 has so far received 181 (!) votes in Bugzilla and duplicates of this bug have been reported 41 times. Unfortunately, no fix is in sight.

<b>Why bother about this bug?</b>
Simply because it REALLY turns users away from FF. The bug has the effect that you can´t search within textarea, form or entry boxes. Think of all CMS, wiki or weblog users: everyone who wants to search or edit text in a form, has to look it through manually. In the bugzilla-thread it was even reported, that a company with 300 users, which was hardly won by a FF enthusiast, turned back to IE because of this bug - this is the first case I have heard of, but I am sure, there are many more like this!

<b>What can I do about it?</b>
1. Take a look into the code if you have the knowledge to and try to solve the bug.
2. <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/votes.cgi?action=show_user&bug_id=252371" target="_blank">Vote for the bug in bugzilla</a>.
3. Tell others to also vote for the bug (or ask them to solve it).
4. Agree to donate some money for the person who is able to fix this bug - see next point

<b>Why should I donate for someone solving this bug?</b>
I thought about this a long time, as I watched this bug from the beginning. Unfortunately it seems, that it doesnt automatically mean that a bug gets fixed if it receives most votes in bugzilla. As I am personally really annoyed with this bug but not able to solve it by myself, I´d like to use this thread to set a bonus for the person who finally solves this bug. I personally would donate <b>5 $</b> to the person who fixes this bug.

<b>If you would also like to donate, please add the sum as an answer to this posting!</b>
Last edited by rseyfrie on August 4th, 2005, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Don't take this the wrong way, but a bug bounty of $5 isn't going to get you very far. I hope you get enough people interested.
rseyfrie

Post by rseyfrie »

I know 5 $ is not much, but I hope, that many people see the severity of this bug and decide to do something about it.
indicavia

Post by indicavia »

I agree that this is a really annoying bug that should be fixed ASAP.
I herby add 15$ to the bounty!

Please support the case by giving a few dollars!

The total amount of the bounty for fixing the bug #252371 is now 20$.
hymen

Post by hymen »

For me thats not really a bug. I prefer that it only searches 'static' text on the page, not dynamic editable text.
indicavia

Post by indicavia »

hymen wrote:For me thats not really a bug. I prefer that it only searches 'static' text on the page, not dynamic editable text.

I'm sure there will be some sort of option, like the case sensitive/not case sensitive option in the search toolbar today.
Pike

Re: Collecting money to find someone to solve bug #252371

Post by Pike »

rseyfrie wrote:4. if you have the permission to do so, set the bug severity to critical or even blocker.

I've voted for it but please don't encourage people to do things like this (hopefully most people with bmo permissions know better).
rseyfrie

Post by rseyfrie »

I removed suggestion #4 - I just thought about what things could be done in order to solve this bug.
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

Is it just me, or has the Find Bar in general been more or less abandoned (in terms of bug fixing)? It seems like it was kind of thrown in at the last moment and then forgotten. Wasn't it Blake that wrote it? That might explain the lack of attention.
Old Makondo

Post by Old Makondo »

The Find bar works for me. Type in a word, click Highlight and it will, including a text/form box. The only thing i don't like about it is that even when i close the Find bar, highlight remains (i'd like it to disappear as soon as FB is closed). As the bug states, it won't highlight if i click on Find Next (following the bug's recreation) but works fine on any page/form/box clicking Highlight w/in Fbar. Did you try that?
rseyfrie

Findbar / Highlight

Post by rseyfrie »

You´re partially right makondo: text is also found in text areas or forms if you press the highlight button from findbar. But if you press "Find next", the text is not found. According to the usability, the text should be found without having to press "Highlight". Please imagine the following situation: a webdesigner works on a webbased CMS and has to make a small change on a page with let´s say 1000 lines of code. Even if the searched term is highlighted, he has to scroll manually through the form in order to find what he is looking for. In my view, this isn´t the quality we´re aiming for with Firefox.

Therefore I am raising my initial donation from 5 $ to 10 $

<b>The total amount of the bounty for fixing the bug #252371 is now 25$</b>
FF7terra

Post by FF7terra »

I think this bounty would feel a lot more legitimate and enticing to people who can actually fix the problem if a paypal donation account was established.
rseyfrie

paypal-donation-account

Post by rseyfrie »

that´s a good idea - does anyone know how to do it? I searched through my paypal-account but couldnt find it. It would be great, if anyone could setup this account!
FF7terra

Post by FF7terra »

Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Not that I think this will work on any current devs, but you might have more luck getting takers if you have a link to see what the current total is.