Phoenix needs a new name

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
asa

We're not sure yet.

Post by asa »

Please don't write letters to anyone and don't make a scene until we know for sure whether or not we're going to have to change the Name. It turns out there are a few other companies and products out there that use the name Phoenix, including web browsers, and we're still trying to determine if we're going to be able to use it.

It's fine to continue the discussion about good alternative names but please don't make my life any more difficult by sending nasty (or otherwise) letters to all of the existing Phoenix' out there. Thanks.

--Asa
cdn

Post by cdn »

malheureusement Cerberus is already claimed as the name of a security package IIRC :\
mojavelinux

Post by mojavelinux »

IoN_PuLse wrote:I see no reason to change Phoenix's name, phoenix.com has no right to "copyright" the name, it has been used to describe a mythological creature, and has existed long before the .com's and the city of Phoenix.

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=phoenix

Seriously, a word is a word. If we were a company, I could see the problem...but when someone starts an open source project, they could call it whatever they want...they aren't a company and they don't have any tax licenses...why the heck should we care what other people think...what are they going to do, take our pizza away?
Sam

Post by Sam »

How about "The Browser No Longer Named Phoenix"? :wink:
RAF

Post by RAF »

Why not call it Komodo? It's something lizard-like

We can name IEx.x. Dodo... It's something extinct
clav

Post by clav »

Sam wrote:How about "The Browser No Longer Named Phoenix"? :wink:

surely that should be "The Browser Formerly Known as Phoenix"? ;)
fruitcake

Post by fruitcake »

To make it easy and satisfy everybody, we could call it ZooZilla
Thomas

USPTO

Post by Thomas »

Here's some stuff from the US Patent & Trademark office:
USPTO wrote:A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device which is used in trade with goods to indicate the source of the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others. A servicemark is the same as a trademark except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product. The terms "trademark" and "mark" are commonly used to refer to both trademarks and servicemarks.

· A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.

What is a trademark?

A trademark includes any word, name, symbol, or device, or any combination, used, or intended to be used, in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from goods manufactured or sold by others, and to indicate the source of the goods. In short, a trademark is a brand name.

How do I contest someone else using a trademark similar to mine?

There are several ways to dispute use of your trademark by a third party. Depending on the factual situation, the Trademark Office may or may not be the proper forum. You should consider contacting an attorney, preferably one specializing in trademark law. Local bar associations and the yellow pages usually have attorney listings broken down by specialties. Time can be of the essence. For information about proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, click on TBMP.

According to the Legal Notices section of Phoenix Technologies' website, they only have a trademark on the name Phoenix (and their logo).

Also, the two possible USPTO classes for our two Phoenixes would be:

Goods: CLASS 9 (Electrical and scientific apparatus)
Or
Services: CLASS 42 (Computer, scientific & legal)

I don't know which Phoenix would fit into which category.
The bare necessities of life will come to you
tve

Post by tve »

BOWSER!

sounds like Browser and looks like a Reptile :D

yeah, or just "Reptile", lol..
Magpie

Post by Magpie »

It would be awful to change the name... it's part of what I love about phoenix so much, it gives the feeling of starting over anew and being reborn, which is wonderful imagery. That's part of what's so wonderous about it :)

A name that's rather simple and not so out of it may be best, pegasus might be nice, since it has a similar feel to phoenix but... there are just as many internet companies with the name "pegasus" as "phoenix" seemingly, and one of them could take the same silly route to go after the browser.

I think the name "The Browser Formerly Known as Phoenix" is best though *hee*
tve

Post by tve »

Magpie wrote:A name that's rather simple and not so out of it may be best, pegasus might be nice, since it has a similar feel to phoenix but... there are just as many internet companies with the name "pegasus" as "phoenix" seemingly, and one of them could take the same silly route to go after the browser.

yeah, there's the Pegasus Mail client :)
old Neil Parks

Dumbledore's Phoenix

Post by old Neil Parks »

Let's call it <B> FAWKES </b> . That's the name of Professor Dumbledore's pet phoenix in the Harry Potter stories!
Last edited by old Neil Parks on November 7th, 2002, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Phoenix

Post by Thomas »

There's also a rollercoaster named "Phoenix" that originated in my home town, but was moved to Knoebels, in Pennsylvania.
http://www.knoebels.com/phoenix.htm
The bare necessities of life will come to you
llamaboy487

another idea

Post by llamaboy487 »

hmm... how about Wildfire
chrisMage

Post by chrisMage »

So far, I'm partial to these: (In order of preference)
  1. Phoenix
  2. Raptor
  3. Guerilla
  4. Inferno
  5. Wildfire

HOWEVER, I am in love with the name Phoenix. I will be sending a polite e-mail to the folks at phoenix.com (mailto:?subject=&body=), as I hope all of you will. If you really had to, you could change the name to Fenix, Phenix, Pheonix (misspelled on purpose), or something to that tune.

Whatever name you folks decide on, make sure it doesn't sound stupid. Only in America, do people fight over names... sigh