Installer cannot proceed with current internet connection..

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Northlake

Installer cannot proceed with current internet connection..

Post by Northlake »

Installer cannot proceed with current internet connection proxy settings. No proxy settings (?) Direct connection to internet via LAN. Tried to download Java from link on Mozilla site, same error message. Very Newbie - still impressed, just frustrated as the site I am having trouble downloading the appropriate plug-in from is a work-related necessity! Must be able to open to continue to use Firefox as default.
Thanks, cheers
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Are you trying to download the offline installer? That's what I would recommend. Close Firefox and have as little running in the background as possible while running the installer.

Post by Guest »

I tried closing Firefox and having as little as possible running while running the Installer of "Java Runtime Environment". Same error-cannot proceed ... as above. Clicked retry and got message "The installation package could not be opened. Verify the package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer."

Thanks for looking into this so quickly! Wow. Much appreciated!
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Are you downloading the 15.54MB offline installer? Is this approximately the size of the installer you downloaded?

Post by Guest »

I apologize for being so inept. I do not know the answer to those questions. I don't know of any "installer" that I downloaded and I don't know how to download anything "offline" or what an offline installer is.

Post by Guest »

I apologize for being so inept. I do not know the answer to those questions. I don't know of any "installer" that I downloaded, and I don't know how to download anything "offline" or what an offline installer is. I've tried running the Java Runtime Environment installer, but it does not complete with these error messages that I repeatedly encounter. The Windows Installer seems to be the only one located in my Add/Remove programs list.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Go here and click on the lower link:

Java Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4 Offline Installer

Accept the agreement (mark in Accept), then the very top download is what you want "Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language", save the file to desktop or a downloads folder of your choice. When the download finishes, right click the file and choose properties and you should see it's size, it should be around 15.5MB (16,291,424 bytes).

Then close all browsers and as many other Windows apps as possible (check the processes tab of task manager and make sure firefox.exe is not running! ctrl+alt+del > processes tab), then double click the installer and begin the installation, accept the agreement, don't change anything by putting marks into checkboxes and click next and follow the installation through, reboot, then see if Java works here:

Test Java Virtual Machine

If you already have any Sun Java Runtime Environments listed in add/remove programs, you should uninstall them and reboot before running the installer.

Post by Guest »

I really would like to try this. I can find no reference to any Java programs in my Add/Remove Programs list.

When I click on the link provided called Download Center, I am directed to a Sun site and there is no Accept prompt or Windows Office Installation listed on the alphabetical product list here: http://www.sun.com/download/index.jsp?tab=2
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

You're getting redirected to the wrong page or something. That is not the page that should come up when you click that link.

Go here:

Download Java software from Sun Microsystems

The one you want is the second from the top. It says it is 16.3MB on this page.
Last edited by LeRoi on August 6th, 2005, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

It's working now. I'll report back when done.

Thanks for getting me on my way.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

You're welcome.

Post by Guest »

DELIGHTFUL!! Java program running beautifully! Happy as a clam. Thanks heaps.

Bonus result - Firefox loads brilliantly fast now. I was going to resort to being satisfied with a slow loading browser if I could solve my Java problem. You solved them both!

I can't thank you enough.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

You're most welcome.