Slow script warning

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
eatinwokout

Slow script warning

Post by eatinwokout »

I've been getting this script warning pop for the past two days. I haven't changed my browsing habits. They pop up for regular sites that I used to navigate to without getting these annoying prompts.

I've done the whole spyware/malware/virus scan and they still continue.

It reads a script on this page is causing mozilla to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

This can be (usually) solved by typing <b>about:config</b> in the address bar and pressing enter. Type <b>dom</b> in the filter bar at the top of the page that opens. Look for the entry <b>dom.max_script_run_time</b>.

Right-click on that entry and select "modify" in the menu that opens. Type <b>20</b> then click OK to exit the dialog box. Then close and re-open Firefox for the change to take effect.

What this does is increase from 10 seconds (the default) to 20 the maximum amount of time a script can run...
Last edited by Old BushVenom on October 4th, 2006, 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eatinwokout

Post by eatinwokout »

Thanks.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

My pleasure... :)
eatinwokout

Post by eatinwokout »

Ok this is getting quite annoying. I never received these warnings on previous builds of Firefox. I set the dom.max_script_runtime to 10 which kind of delayed them from popping up. I don't want them to pop up at all. I'm getting them while I wait for del.icio.us to finish loading. The only thing slowing my computer down are these warnings that keep popping up.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

eatinwokout wrote:I set the dom.max_script_runtime to 10 which kind of delayed them from popping up. I don't want them to pop up at all. I'm getting them while I wait for del.icio.us to finish loading.

Then increase the number to 20 or 30...

Post by Guest »

No matter how long I set the delay, the browser itself still lags. How come these warnings never popped up in the 1.0.5 release?
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

You never went to a site that ran a script longer than 5 seconds? How should I know. This pref in about:config has been there a long time. The question is: why is del.icio.us taking so long to load?
RadioactiveMan

Post by RadioactiveMan »

It's probably an extension issue caused by the update process. Try it in safe mode. If it works right in safe mode, try it again without safe mode. This sort of thing can usually be fixed by uninstalling the problem extension and then reinstalling it. Sometimes you just have to disable then re-enable it.

Do you use a lot of extensions?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 Firefox/1.4 BOBA CE
WacoCat

Post by WacoCat »

I've uninstalled every extension I had and it's still there. It's on sites I have been using for years. If all my extensions have been uninstalled and removed from the machine, what is causing it?

Post by Guest »

Just "uninstalling" your extensions does not necessarily help--they typically aren't completely uninstalled. Try Firefox safe mode.
WacoCat

Post by WacoCat »

You are correct! I ran the Safe Mode and no problems. If I have been using the same extensions for several months, how do I go about narrowing it down to just the one problem? Should I remove them all and re-install them one by one?
I only use about 8 extension.
Old BushVenom

Post by Old BushVenom »

WacoCat, go into Tools > Extensions > right-click extensions one by one, select "disable", then close and reopen Firefox. When Firefox is working OK again, you'll know the most recent extension disabled was the culprit, and should be uninstalled. Normally, you can reinstall the most recent version of that extension and everything will be fine...

Post by Guest »

Personally, if it were me, I would start with a clean profile and install the extensions one at a time until the problem occurred. You could see the Standard Diagnostic ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic ) for their approach.

Post by Guest »

Ooh, but bushvenom is smarter than me.