[Release] - GrApple (Zaphod)

Discuss application theming and theme development.
scratch

Post by scratch »

Aronnax! wrote:and read this from Kevin Gerich ( particularly with regard to point two)
Why is Pinstripe Mac OS X only?
http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/about.html

the code from my themes is almost identically equal to the mac default - if this code would be changed to be entirely cross-platform - my themes changed likewise - unless ..

it's not possible yet. like i said, it's coming with 1.1.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

scratch wrote:it's not possible yet. like i said, it's coming with 1.1.

..coming with 1.1.?? Do you know, where i can find more information about it.
(a Bugzilla Number or something related)
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

by the way
a quick and dirty win version - looks like this:

Terpfen

Post by Terpfen »

That's pretty damn good for a quick and dirty port.
scratch

Post by scratch »

Aronnax! wrote:
scratch wrote:it's not possible yet. like i said, it's coming with 1.1.

..coming with 1.1.?? Do you know, where i can find more information about it.
(a Bugzilla Number or something related)

one such bug number is 222654, but i believe there are others.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

Terpfen wrote:That's pretty damn good for a quick and dirty port.

perhaps, but only at first sight
some problems:

or test it yourselves
http://aronnax.spymac.com/GrAppleZ_1.0_win.jar
Terpfen

Post by Terpfen »

Yeah, there are some problems, especially with text spacing, but for a quick port it still looks pretty good. This makes me look forward to theme changes in 1.1.
scratch

Post by scratch »

ah, i forgot about the options buttons thing. i don't know if 1.1 addresses that. it'd sure be nice.
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

Hi,
a new update - contains some new icons

GrApple (Zaphod) - Version 1.1
designed for Firefox 1.0* and Deer Park - Mac OS X only

http://www.grapple.net.tf/
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

scratch wrote:ah, i forgot about the options buttons thing. i don't know if 1.1 addresses that. it'd sure be nice.

I think this is probably due to something like...

Code: Select all

button {
  -moz-appearance: button;
}

In MacOS, this will look like Aronnax! has them, but in Windows, the remainder of the code is probably screwing up what the button is supposed to look like (no border colors defined).

I have made MacOS buttons for use in Windows before... but they were blue as opposed to the Graphite/Clear ones used here.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Aronnax!,

This is by far your best theme so far. It integrates much better in the OS (both Panther and Tiger) than anything ever made. I like it very much.

You'll need to update though ;-) . bug 222654 has landed (scrolbar.css becomes nativescrollbars.css). I've updated that on my side, and no side effects.

A few nits.
  1. The background for the tab bar (darkgrey) is slightly too dark on my Powerbook, making the inactive tabs hard to read, especially when the screen is a bit dimmed, like in powersaving mode.
  2. When you open the 'bookmark this page' dialogue box, the arrow (expander-*.png) to the left of the select menu looks out of place on what is basically an OS dialogue box.
  3. I have some articfacts at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar on a window, at the intersection with the statusbar. A screenshot tells it better. A note here though, I've bumped up the font-size of the statusbar (too small by default for my old eyes). Even then, when some icons pop up in the statusbar (security warning lock icon), the same happens. I'd expect that little bit of grey above the window resize grip to be white.
    Haven't checked how you've build the whole thing to offer a work around.
  4. You'r missing a fix for bug 291830 in browser/preferences/preferences.css.
  5. ... there is no 5. at the moment :-).

edit There is a 5. Bug 280590 makes the tabs focussable to keyboard users. The code used in the patch there isn't especially nice though, and hard to see when one uses the graphite colours. What I use for my own:

Code: Select all

tab[selected="true"], tab:hover {
      -moz-user-focus: normal;
} /* from the default global/browser.css stylesheet */
tab:focus label {
    outline: 1px dotted #555 !important;
    outline-offset:-1px;
}
This sets a focussing ring around the text-label in the tab, pretty similar to what Safari does. It also works nicely for the default Firefox theme, and some of your 'Pro' themes.

Cheers
Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

phiw13 wrote:Aronnax!,

This is by far your best theme so far. It integrates much better in the OS (both Panther and Tiger) than anything ever made. I like it very much.

Thanks

phiw13 wrote:You'll need to update though ;-) . bug 222654 has landed (scrolbar.css becomes nativescrollbars.css). I've updated that on my side, and no side effects.

A few nits.
  1. The background for the tab bar (darkgrey) is slightly too dark on my Powerbook, making the inactive tabs hard to read, especially when the screen is a bit dimmed, like in powersaving mode.

one question - the contrast is greater as in Safari - is it a problem in Safari equally?

phiw13 wrote:
  • When you open the 'bookmark this page' dialogue box, the arrow (expander-*.png) to the left of the select menu looks out of place on what is basically an OS dialogue box.

• any suggestions for a better picture? ( a picture is necessary, unfortunately)

phiw13 wrote:
  • I have some articfacts at the bottom of the vertical scrollbar on a window, at the intersection with the statusbar. A screenshot tells it better. A note here though, I've bumped up the font-size of the statusbar (too small by default for my old eyes). Even then, when some icons pop up in the statusbar (security warning lock icon), the same happens. I'd expect that little bit of grey above the window resize grip to be white.
    Haven't checked how you've build the whole thing to offer a work around.

• there is problem with some extentions like Gmail Notifier (some content would be blinded out - therefore a distance of the background is necessary - searching for a better fix

phiw13 wrote:
  • You'r missing a fix for bug 291830 in browser/preferences/preferences.css.
  • ... there is no 5. at the moment :-).

• with Deer Park - there are some other bugs in the themes today - i will release special 1.5 versions as soon the 1.5 or the beta arrived - some 1.5-only code will be also necessary
    Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

a new one ;-)
    http://www.grapple.net.tf/

1.2.9 Deer Park Preview Version
    Mozilla Firefox (designed for Deer Park) - Mac OS X only
    only for user of Deer Park nightlies - a preview with the latest changes ( the new RSS Features, scrollbar code etc. etc.)

by the way, for the statusbar problem - i found a better fix ;-)

phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

Based on the newest (1.2.9) version.

1. The statusbar problem is much much better now :-).
    2. the contrast in the tab-bar. This applies mostly to inactive tabs. The problem is much worse, for me, in Safari. I never use Safari, in fact, but I tested now. One thing I'll add: I use a different font for the label of the tabs. You use 'font:icon', where as I have reset that to use 'Lucida Grande'. I changed this mostly due to a bug with Firefox when Japanese Glyphs are used in the text (page-title).
      The result: your label text is bolder than mines, and then the contrast is lower on my side.
      Note that it is certainly not a big problem, and it affects mostly the first tab when inactive.
    3. The 'expander' arrow. I prefer the one that ships as default with Firefox -from the pinstripe theme, it has a bit more rounded corners, and a more pronounced dropshadow. Makes it more looking like the expander arrow that comes from the OS (you can see that one if you do a 'save as' in Textedit, or any other app). My personal opinion on the OS X one: it is a bit to fatty.

Thanks again for your work.
    Aronnax!

Post by Aronnax! »

@phiw13
    please, make a screenshot

the Tab picture - change it until you like it
    http://aronnax.spymac.com/tabs-bg.png

put it in the chrome folder
    and this in your userChrome.css file:

.tab-text {

font: small-caption !important;
    font-weight: normal !important;
    color: #000000 !important;
    padding-top: 1px; !important;

}

.tabbrowser-strip {
    background: transparent url("tabs-bg.png") no-repeat center !important;
    border-bottom: 0px !important;
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 0px !important;

}

----

the code - used in the theme:

.tabbrowser-strip {
    background: transparent url("chrome://global/skin/toolbar/tabs-bg.png") no-repeat center;
    border-bottom: 0px !important;
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 0px !important;

}

.tab-text {

font: small-caption !important;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: #3b3b3b;
    padding-top: 1px; !important;

}