time out?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sara pulver

time out?

Post by sara pulver »

ok, i just installed thunderbird and i can't receive messages because they time out? Takes about 5 seconds and then an alert comes up saying: connection to server.pop3.email.msn.com timed out. What's the deal?! thanks, sara
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

You might want to install the About:Config extension and change the value of mail.pop3_response_timeout to a larger value. You can find a fairly complete collection of extensions on <<<b>this page</b>>>. <<This page>> is Mozilla's official extensions page for Thunderbird. <<This page>> shows how to install extensions in Thunderbird.
sara p

extension

Post by sara p »

it's not available for the newest version of firefox. poop.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Try one of them on this page http://aboutconfig.mozdev.org/installation.html The homepages sometimes have a more up to date version.

Post by Guest »

OK, I was able to download all but the first one. there's an about:config under tools and when I click it up pops a long list of things, but you can't do anything with them, as far as i know. I probably sound like an idiot and I apologize, but what do I do now? Maybe I dodnt download the right thing??
thanks for your help by the way.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

It's the right thing. Now type mail.pop3_response_timeout into the filter box hit enter, "enter integer value" box should open, type in the new value. Don't go crazy just increase it. If the box doesn't open, select mail.pop3_response_timeout right click and select modify.

Post by Guest »

ok, i figured that out but it didnt work. I even did go crazy and upped it to 1111 after the smaller numbers didnt work. It doesnt take longer to get that time out message. so maybe this is not the problem? any other ideas?