Transparent background in Firefox

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
balrog

Transparent background in Firefox

Post by balrog »

Hi there,
Any desktop tuning freaks that want to try background transparency in Mozilla Firefox try my new little patch. I took the idea from gnome-terminal. You can get the patch from http://www.zabor.org/mozilla-firefox-transparency.patch
I know it still needs a lot of work, but there are cases where it looks good. Here is a screenshot: http://www.zabor.org/screen2.png (on the left is a gnome-terminal).
Suggestions welcome!
Greetings
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

Hmm...this must be for freaks. Even though it looks nice, I actually like to read the web-pages.
balrog

Post by balrog »

Sorry, I should have posted this in General Discussion Firefox instead of Firefox Support, ofcourse.
By the way the feature isn't causing me any difficulties in reading (so far..) because the desktop's background only appears in webpages that don't have a background image of their own and when their bg colour matches the desktop (by default only white or very bright).
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Hey, that's cool. Does it only work on the Linux platform?

Added bonus, I'll move this to FF General for you.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

balrog wrote:Sorry, I should have posted this in General Discussion Firefox instead of Firefox Support, ofcourse.
By the way the feature isn't causing me any difficulties in reading (so far..) because the desktop's background only appears in webpages that don't have a background image of their own and when their bg colour matches the desktop (by default only white or very bright).

Okey, I'd like to try it....but how do you actually install it? I couldn't find any readme or anything.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

You don't install it. If you don't know what to do with a patch file, you're not in a position to apply it.

- Chris
RadioactiveMan

Post by RadioactiveMan »

You patch the source and build it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 Firefox/1.4 BOBA CE
Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake »

Thumper wrote:You don't install it. If you don't know what to do with a patch file, you're not in a position to apply it.

- Chris

Allright, but was it smart of me to learn how to compile programs from source or installing a .deb-package. Or wasn't that smart either, since I didn't know what to do with it without reading a howto the very first time?
balrog

Post by balrog »

Vectorspace wrote:... Does it only work on the Linux platform?

Unfortunately yes, but I tried to follow OOP guidelines so that it is enough to overload a single method for Windows, Mac or BeOS support.

And yeah to install it you need to download the firefox sources, unpack them, apply the patch with "patch -p0" and then follow the normal README instructions
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

balrog wrote:
Vectorspace wrote:... Does it only work on the Linux platform?

Unfortunately yes, but I tried to follow OOP guidelines so that it is enough to overload a single method for Windows, Mac or BeOS support.
Curiosity killed the cat... :)
What do you mean by 'overload a single method'?
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
balrog

Post by balrog »

Vectorspace wrote:
balrog wrote:Unfortunately yes, but I tried to follow OOP guidelines so that it is enough to overload a single method for Windows, Mac or BeOS support.
Curiosity killed the cat... :)
What do you mean by 'overload a single method'?

Well, it's a C++ term. In detail: the interface class for rendering contexts (nsIRenderingContext) has one derived class for each platform, for Linux it is nsRenderingContextGTK and for example for mac it is nsRenderingContextMac. If a derived class for your platform doesn't overload the method that implements transparency then nsIRenderingContext will simply fall back to normal non-transparent background. (well, it may sound complex, but it makes porting easy)
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

I see, thanks.
feverfive

Post by feverfive »

With the right desktop background (wallpaper), this theme would be cool. But, as noted, it could get in the way of reading/viewing text as well....