0.2 Windows, GTK2 Linux and OSX Candidate builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
mscott

0.2 Windows, GTK2 Linux and OSX Candidate builds

Post by mscott »

Per the <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/roadmap.html">Thunderbird roadmap</a>, I want to ship Thunderbird 0.2 from the 1.5b branch.

This was hindered some what last week by my dead hard drive, but I am back on my feet again this week =).

Instead of calling this the August 26th weekly build, I'm going to call it a 0.2 candidate build so we can start focusing on 0.2 blockers with this build. Fortunately we had a great build last week so I think we are in much better shape going into 0.2 than we were way back in 0.1.

Without further ado, on to the weekly release notes.

This week's build can be found here:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... -26-trunk/

New Features
----------------
1) Windows just got a huge performance boost and fooprint boost (shaved almost 1.5 MB from the download size) by changing some build flags. You should notice a big improvement in this week's build. This follows up the big improvement in last week's windows build too. Woo Hoo!

2) A new Attachments panel in the options dialog allows you to manage how attachments are opened based on mime type. There is a bug where you can't change the "always ask" or "always save to disk" radio item that I have not figured out yet. Thanks to Ben Goodger for allowing us to leverage the work he did in Firebird here in Thunderbird for this preferences panel.

3) A new helper app dialog when opening attachments courtesty of Ben Goodger

4) On windows, if you go to Tools / Options / General and re-mark thunderbird as your default mail client, we also register thunderbird as the default news client. Clicking on news urls in a browser will now launch thunderbird. This is still a little flaky if you go through window's control panel / Internet Options / Programs / Newsgroups instead of doing it in thunderbird.

5) A new windows icon which will hopefully look better on win2k courtesty of Jason Kersey

6) A fix for the famous problem where thunderbird would not remember your window position and other information because we weren't auto generating a localstore.rdf if it was missing.

7) The contacts panel in mail compose is no longer double click happy. We only add entries to the compose window when you double click on a valid entry as opposed to any white space in the contacts panel.

8) When printing a mail message with attachments, we now print a list of the attachments as part of the message. Thanks to Kevin Teuscher for helping get this in.

Known Issues
----------------
1)<del>The spell checker is crashing for some people. It probably has to do with the new code to not spell check urls. </del> FIXED IN LATEST WINDOWS BUILD. PLEASE REDOWNLOAD!

2) <del>Images are not loading in news, you get a red square instead</del> FIXED IN THE 8/29 WINDOWS RESPIN.

Enjoy the build, please post any major regressions over the last couple builds. Hopefully this build gets us on a quick trajectory to 0.2.

-Scott
Last edited by mscott on September 1st, 2003, 11:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Thunderbirds are Go!
jedbro

Excelent!

Post by jedbro »

Excelent Downloading now ;)

I am very much looking forward to the performance boost ;)
TeddyBerlin

Post by TeddyBerlin »

Great job!
Thunderbird 20030826 works very good.

Heinrich Witt
jark

Post by jark »

so far so good. very nicely polished! :-)
jhirshon

Post by jhirshon »

Looking forward to trying this - thanks as always for your hard work on Tbird! :)

cheers, JH
alexbender

Post by alexbender »

As far as I can tell, it's solid. Went through my usual pounding and came up with no showstoppers. Not even show intermissions... Not even "Hey miss, would you please turn off your damn cell phone?"

P4 - 1.5GHz - WinXP SP1
Mozilla/5.0 Gecko/20040410 Firefox/0.8.0+
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.6+ (20040512-pigfoot)
sgbouwhu

Post by sgbouwhu »

it's *fast*. Startup takes <2 seconds opposed to 5-6 seconds it used to take. And as far as I can tell, everything works perfectly. Awesome build, Scott!
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Great stuff!

One thing, I think we should have the Return Receipts and Connection prefs in seperate dialogs, like in Firebird

They don't look good as rollouts
frofro

Post by frofro »

Seems faster to me too.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Some other things

1) Check for junk each time a mail is received
2) I have problems when checking for mail on a slow connection or you have lots of mails, changeing between the inbox and other folder makes the inbox behave "strangely" it seems to hang when browsing the folder while receiving mails
3) Fix that stupid reload bug for News Accounts, it's driving me crazy (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=210210)
ecjs

Post by ecjs »

Cool ! I'm downloadind this 7.3 Mo build. Thanks to Nostromo who posted in the newsletter topic.
me_and_myself

Post by me_and_myself »

The "Password Manager" in 20030826 is still strange. I never save my passwords, but the list is growing and growing.

No alert is shown, when receiving mails manually (clicking "get mail"). Alert is shown, when receiving mails automatic ("check for new messages every ... minutes"). Is this a bug or a feature?

We have an "Advanced Account Settings"-Dialog, which only choose the SMTP-Server. In my Opinion the SMTP-Settings should move to "Server Settings".
csogilvie

Post by csogilvie »

When I first click one of hte + arrows in the Advanced Preferences Dialog nothing happens, I need to click again. Then it behaves as normal.
Colin S. Ogilvie
Marcos

Post by Marcos »

Tom Sommer wrote:Some other things

1) Check for junk each time a mail is received
2) I have problems when checking for mail on a slow connection or you have lots of mails, changeing between the inbox and other folder makes the inbox behave "strangely" it seems to hang when browsing the folder while receiving mails
3) Fix that stupid reload bug for News Accounts, it's driving me crazy (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=210210)

Number 2 happens to me too. When it takes some time to download e-mails I lose access to the inbox that's being updated. All other folders continue working fine, though. Also, it seems that when this happens the folder is somehow reset (sorting, for example), but I'm not sure if the problems are related.

One question: are these changes in the build flags similar or related to the ones in the unofficial builds (the one from swalker, for example) ? Or should we still look for these optimized builds in the future ?
csogilvie

Post by csogilvie »

Tom Sommer wrote:3) Fix that stupid reload bug for News Accounts, it's driving me crazy (http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=210210)

Yes, that would be nice. It occurs here on WinXP as well.
Colin S. Ogilvie