[FX] elfurbe: Nightly [Branch|Trunk/OSX] (G3/G4/G5/Intel)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

elfurbe wrote:Is there a consensus on what we want to build?

/me on trunk (although I haven't used your builds for a while,but that was due to a schedule thing).

On a related note, The latest trunk builds do not recognize any themes nor extensions (despite bumping up the maxversion to 1.7).
At first I thought it was due to bug 304874. But after reading the latest comments in that bug, I'm not so sure anymore.

In fact, in the extensions manager, neven the DomInspector and the Reporter tool say 'will be installed after Deerpark is restarted'. Which doesn't happen.

Any more insight on this ?
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I'm not seeing the problem with DomInspector and Reporter as of today's build. I just erased my profile again, so perhaps its related to that, though I hadn't checked on the problem before I updated this morning.
ankh

Post by ankh »

>consensus ...

I'd ask if there is a consensus on _why_.

My thought is, the unofficial builds aren't particularly helpful for testing purposes, since they're nonstandard (just my assumption).

If I'm right -- what'd be best to build is going to depend on how stable the underlying code is.

Right now -- shortly after a branch -- I suppose the branch code is supposed to be stable, and the trunk is going to be flaky for a few weeks or a month while lots of new code gets put into it.

If I'm right -- it'd be nice to have unofficial optimized builds of the branch, for more stable use.

And, if I'm right, it'd be nice -- once the trunk settles down -- to have trunk builds thereafter.

So, my response is -- how good is the underlying code, and optimize based on that.

With a big red flag warning if it's important to create a new profile.
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

On why? I'm not sure what that means. I'm asking what most people who use my builds would like. I guess that's "_why_".

What I wasn't asking for was a treatise on code branching. I know the difference between trunk and branch code. What I'm interested in getting here is a simple "branch" or "trunk" response and if one has a reason, that reason. I'm deciding what codebase to build my nightlies from for the next little while, and I'm taking user input to make that decision, since I'm building for public consumption. Later, I may change again. Who knows.

One thing I won't be doing is taking responsibility for checking if you need to make a new profile. If you're using a nightly build, you should plan on being savy enough to decide that sort of thing for yourself.

I'm going to count your post as a branch vote, and that puts me at 1 vote each way. I'm begining to realize how woefully small my user base really is...
dalesmi

Post by dalesmi »

elfurbe wrote:On why? I'm not sure what that means. I'm asking what most people who use my builds would like. I guess that's "_why_".

[smip ...]

Count me on the TRUNK side. I download your builds, but lean toward the trunk most of the time despite instabilities from time to time ...

I appreciate your builds as well as others ... thanks for making them public.

Dale
My Yute

Post by My Yute »

elfurbe wrote:
My Yute wrote:I have this problem with 2005.8.15 and 2005.8.14 (also in the official nightlies) where a little bubble comes up in the address bar and hwhen you highlight it it becomes blue.

It was a problem with the RSS feed indicator button. They've moved it from the lower right corner to the right end of the address bar, and it was showing up freakish for whatever reason. It's fixed as of 2005.08.17.

I thnik it's something that also needs to be fixed in the theme. . right now only the default theme doesn't show that weird box in the address bar.
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

i'm in for trunk, let's go with the bleeding edge...
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

what's with the size of the latest build (8/22). the app is now around 28M....
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

No idea man. That's not really outside the realm of reason, I don't think, but it is quite a bit larger than previous builds. I'll toy with -Os and see if that gets the filesize down a little, and I'll also build a branch test, and see if it's particularly smaller.
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

no worries, just curious is all :)
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

I did a branch build, and it was similarly sized. Haven't had time to get an -Os build done yet.
skier0178

Post by skier0178 »

2005.08.23 crashes on startup for me...
elfurbe

Post by elfurbe »

Hm. I write you FROM the 08.23 build. Which CPU? Perhaps I did a bad thing somewhere.
weerez

Post by weerez »

7450 8.23 crashes on startup for me too...
mento

Post by mento »

Probably bug 305624. You can tell for sure by clicking the "Report" button to bring up CrashReporter when it crashes (don't submit the report to Apple, though). If it crashed in nsContentUtils::Shutdown(), this bug is the culprit. It's been fixed on the trunk.