0.2 Windows, GTK2 Linux and OSX Candidate builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
naggiman

Post by naggiman »

chrisgeleven wrote:All of these improvements to Thunderbird and I am stuck using Outlook because my university only offers an Exchange server for e-mail and blocks all SMTP ports so I can't use another SMTP server :cry:

My work only has an exchange server, but IMAP has been enabled within exchange so it all words \:D/
Lurker extraordinaire.... Well, most of the time...
ishopnude_com

Post by ishopnude_com »

There seems to be an issue with sending email. The windows error report said it was an issue with myspell. This machine has Norton and outgoing emails are checked. On another machine, this does not occur and it doesn't have Norton. Could this be related? Anyone else seeing this?
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

naggiman wrote:
chrisgeleven wrote:All of these improvements to Thunderbird and I am stuck using Outlook because my university only offers an Exchange server for e-mail and blocks all SMTP ports so I can't use another SMTP server :cry:

My work only has an exchange server, but IMAP has been enabled within exchange so it all words \:D/

Unfortunately they won't even enable IMAP. Trust me, I have tried.
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
arunsub

Post by arunsub »

csogilvie wrote:When I first click one of hte + arrows in the Advanced Preferences Dialog nothing happens, I need to click again. Then it behaves as normal.

Same thing happened for me to. Similarly If I attach 10 or more files, I don't see them in attached files window. If I attach only 5 then the window comes with the files. I have this problem in all the builds and I think it was discussed few builds back. Does any one else having this problem?
SharonL

Re: 0.2 Windows Candidate build

Post by SharonL »

Unfortunately with this build, we are still unable to view images in html messages in news - we get a blank with a red dot in place of the image, with no way to view. This happened in last week's build on 8/20 as well.
Sharon L
totalXSive

Post by totalXSive »

My computer crashed and rebooted today while TB was open, and the next time I launched it, the Inbox for my IMAP account was just a normal folder called INBOX.

Anyway, I deleted and recreated the account (in the same TB session), but interestingly the saved password was kept. Shouldn't it delete it when the account is deleted? Otherwise I see this as a security issue.

Only other issue, which I can often reproduce is that when emptying Trash, which has new messages (I have filters which send some messages straight there), the folder title stays bold, although it doesn't say it has new messages. Clicking on another folder, and then going back to Trash turns it back to non-bold text.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Installer is being mirrored as we speak :)
tseelee

Suggestions

Post by tseelee »

TB now starts in under 6 secs now on my Celeron 2GHz, 128MB RAM, XP Home. That's a good improvement, although it seems to me that it'd be nice to include a splash screen.

Also, the first time I start to compose a new message, the window takes a second to open. It'd be nice if the app could load that code somehow so it'd be as fast on the first try as the second one.

Thanks for the great work. I've no complaints otherwise...so far.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance. - Socrates as quoted in Lives of Eminent Philosophers
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

My sentiments to this build mscott:

"Outlook Express: Eat our dust!"

Rock-solid after a lot of pounding. Onward and upward to version 1.0!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+
Kerrick

Post by Kerrick »

Previously I had been encountering a bug where TB would stop storing my passwords, MScott you mentioned it was known in <A HREF="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=19805&highlight=">here</A>, but I never managed to find the bug in bugzilla. Has that been fixed? As of the 8-22 build optimized by swalker I'm still encountering it. Think that really oughta be resolved before 0.2

Seen some mentions of a splash screen. IMHO a bad idea as it would add more overhead to the start-up time
Last edited by Kerrick on August 27th, 2003, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

OMG! The new icon looks great in win2k
tseelee

Post by tseelee »

Kerrick wrote:Seen some mentions of a splash screen. IMHO a bad idea as it would add more overhead to the start-up time

Once TB moves into marketing to the general user, I think this option should be added. I've seen far too many programs that have this option for me to be convinced that this can be such a deathknell to performance. Ignoring a popularly expected feature, OTOH, can help kill a product.
Last edited by tseelee on August 27th, 2003, 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance. - Socrates as quoted in Lives of Eminent Philosophers
jhirshon

Post by jhirshon »

tseelee wrote:
Kerrick wrote:Seen some mentions of a splash screen. IMHO a bad idea as it would add more overhead to the start-up time

Once TB moves into marketing to the general user, I think this option should be added I've seen far too many programs that have this option for me to be convinced that this can be such a deathknell to performance.

I agree with this - newbies need reassurance the program is coming up properly and (with the right logo) would look way cool. Add an option to supress it once you've created your first account - then it's a non-issue. :)

cheers, JH
rivalbo

Post by rivalbo »

Just wondering.. does Thunderbird have a feature (or an extension) to delete mail after it's been on the server for X days? Of all the things, THAT's the only thing keeping me from killing my OE shortcut..
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

Two problems with the Address Book:

The "New Card" window is much too big for the screen and lots of it is missing. (Could be a result of using Pinball theme?)

When there are exactly 3 entries in an Address book, it is Jerry Lee Lewis time. ("Whole Lotta Shaking Going On")