Limit simultaneous downloads?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
alanchar

Limit simultaneous downloads?

Post by alanchar »

Is there an option or an extension that limits the number of simultaneous downloads by Firefox? I don't want to use an external download manager, since the site I'm downloading from requires cookies that have been set when logging into the site.

On the other hand, it would be nice to queue up a number of large downloads and have them execute (for example) up to two at a time only.
old np

Post by old np »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

Check out the entries that start with network.http.max
alanchar

Post by alanchar »

Those entries apply to all connections/requests in general, not just downloads.
old np

Post by old np »

Downloads in general are much more than only things that the download manager handles, but I know what you mean. I don't think you'll find anything other than those settings.
RadioactiveMan

Post by RadioactiveMan »

If you want real control, you'll have to use a real download manager.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 Firefox/1.4 BOBA CE
alanchar

Post by alanchar »

External download managers don't have the cookies that my browser has. (cf. my original question)

How hard would it be possible to write an extension that did this? I would consider that.

I've searched this topic in the forum, and I'm not the first person who has asked for this feature.
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

alanchar wrote:External download managers don't have the cookies that my browser has. (cf. my original question)

FlashGot does send Firefox cookies and referer if your external download manager supports them (e.g. FlashGet, Mass Downloader and ReGet).
alanchar

Post by alanchar »

Thanks! I'll check out some of these other download managers. (I tried two, but I guess I just picked the wrong two.)