bookmarks--import from another user account on same laptop

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
dome

bookmarks--import from another user account on same laptop

Post by dome »

We recently set up password protected accounts on our laptop. It now appears that we will have to either manually type in all our bookmarks or import them for the newly-created User account.

How do I go about importing them from the bookmarks file on our Administrator account?
popular_outcast0

Post by popular_outcast0 »

have you tried exporting your bookmarks, then importing them?
dome

Post by dome »

Do you mean to copy them to a disk and then import them?
popular_outcast0

no. go to: bookmarks > manage > file > export. save it to a folder that both accounts can reach.

then, log on to that other account.

bookmarks > manage > file > import.
dome

Post by dome »

Thanks. I'll try that.
popular_outcast0

post back here and let me know how it turns out.
dome

Post by dome »

Dear Pop,

My son took the laptop to school, so I don't know the outcome of your suggestion. Appreciate your help.

dome
gardenersgirl

Post by gardenersgirl »

Dear Pop,
I was using the default account unknowingly until a pop-up screen today directed me to create a profile. I did so and now I can't locate access to the default account where my bookmarks are located. I'd like to retrieve that info. Any help?
meanroy

Post by meanroy »

gardenersgirl wrote:Dear Pop
I was using the default account unknowingly until a pop-up screen today directed me to create a profile. I did so and now I can't locate access to the default account where my bookmarks are located. I'd like to retrieve that info. Any help?

I *THINK* this is a recoverable problem but WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT DELETE any profiles!

Unless *perhaps* some uber guru is helping you.

This and some related issues have been addressed in several threads, this one and this one for example.

You can get your bookmarks back by searching for bookmark* for all of "My Computer" and after you verify which file is the correct one (you will/may find several), importing them with "bookmark manager".
To see whats in each one just open it in FF and look at it.

There are directions Here for getting your original profile back but don't follow them until some one knowledgeable replies in this thread. (Cusser, Thumper and Dunderklumpen are three I know have it together, pretty much)

I've only had this problem (the profile one) once and I managed to hack my way clear but don't remember how I did it. I back up all my bookmarks to be sure I don't lose them. (remotely as well as on my personal comp.)
Rishi M.
Folder@Home

Post by Rishi M. »

gardenersgirl wrote:Dear Pop,

If you didn't delete your old profile, all your stuff is still there. Here's what you do:

1. Close Firefox using File -> Exit. Check the Windows Task Manager's (Ctrl + Alt + Del) 'Processes' tab for 'firefox.exe'. If it is there, shut it down (hit 'End Process').

2. Go to Start -> Run. Type firefox.exe -p

3. Select your old profile and start Firefox.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Folding for Team MozillaZine (No. 39340) with 32.4GHz of power. Your machine can make a difference! Join now.
rtmjr50

Post by rtmjr50 »

meanroy wrote:
gardenersgirl wrote:Dear Pop

I *THINK* this is a recoverable problem but WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT DELETE any profiles!
Unless *perhaps* some uber guru is helping you.
This and some related issues have been addressed in several threads, this one and this one for example.
You can get your bookmarks back by searching for bookmark* for all of "My Computer" and after you verify which file is the correct one (you will/may find several), importing them with "bookmark manager".
To see whats in each one just open it in FF and look at it.
There are directions Here for getting your original profile back but don't follow them until some one knowledgeable replies in this thread. (Cusser, Thumper and Dunderklumpen are three I know have it together, pretty much)
I've only had this problem (the profile one) once and I managed to hack my way clear but don't remember how I did it. I back up all my bookmarks to be sure I don't lose them. (remotely as well as on my personal comp.)

No hacking is needed .... all you need to do is open the profilemanager and pick default ... if you get a "profile is use" message ... then it is a little more work you need to do ....

FYI - Are you using the firefox preloader? .... if so, then you need to close it down completely (all copies of firefox.exe must be closed) ... the preloader does not allow this as long as it is running.

Guide: Lost My Bookmarks ... now what??
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 64#1250164 ...... solution #1

... INSTALL the Bookmark Backup extension which does a automatic daily backup of all 13 user files when you exit firefox correctly .... this gives you seven different copies of each user file before overwriting one ..... it won't help with a bad profile ... but you will never loose your bookmarks ... To add other files (default is only bookmarks.html) to the backup .... highlight the extension in the extension manager (tools -> extensions) and press the option icon .... you can store the backup any place you like ...
see: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=13
Author's homepage for this extension.
see: http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?extension=bb

Listing of other extensions/utilities to backup/copy/tranfer your profile & user files
see: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 25#1252725

later, richard
Rule #1: My computer is always right, the human is always the problem .. RULE #2: See Rule #1
using Win XP/SP2 (home) FF1.5.0.9 FF2.0.0.1 FF3a1 Tbird1.5.0.9 ==> Press for More Answers <==
No colours in sig please.
gardenersgirl

Solved the problem, thanks

Post by gardenersgirl »

Rishi & all, problem solved. Thanks!