Petition to back out patch for Bug# 303806

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
supernova_00

Petition to back out patch for Bug# 303806

Post by supernova_00 »

Bug# 303806 [Firefox] - Wallpaper patch for better appearance on Windows XP / Luna [Win]

• It is hideous on XP Classic, Windows 2000 and Win 98.
  • Javascript console was forgotten to be patched
  • as well as a bug with the sanitize settings window (See Bug# 303806 Comment# 83)
  • Most business/schools still use Windows 2000 and even a lot of businesses use XP with classic menus. The company I work for runs XP with classic menus and we have roughly 110,000 computers worldwide. Granted all of them don't use Firefox but the majority of our U.S. officies do.

Some bugs introduced by this patch (Screenshots)

IE is always brought up because we want somewhat consistent UI. screw it and do it how we want and what looks best for us...not what IE has already has set in place.

M$ can't/couldnt even keep all menu toolbars same size and all highlight boxes same size throughout all of there programs so why should be try to be consistent with one of those programs be it IE or notepad when they are all differerent anyways.

I've also blogged about this here to try and get this out there.

List of mozillazine users For or Against backing this out

Here is a petition for you guys to sign if you don't like the changes
Petition to Back out patch for Firefox Bug# 303806
Last edited by supernova_00 on September 8th, 2005, 5:41 am, edited 10 times in total.
AmboyGuy

Post by AmboyGuy »

It's ugly & I agree.

A fix for this abomination is being worked on.

When it's out I'll post a link to it.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 55#1724655
Last edited by AmboyGuy on September 7th, 2005, 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Ubuntu; X11; Linux i686; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1 ID:20111228084953
BoxerBoi76

Wallpaper patch for HIDEOUS appearance on Windows XP / Luna

Post by BoxerBoi76 »

I second this! Looks hideous on all Classic systems as well as half-assed. It appears that is may have regressed parts of 253661 in terms of the spacing of the checkmarks under View-> Navigation Toolbar but I'll have to look at that later.

BoxerBoi76
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Was gonna post this, but instead gonna do it here:

I follow Bryan in this.

I'm currently using a themed Windows XP (which isn't Luna), the other three computers in my house run Windows XP (Classic) x2 (for all users) and a Windows 98.

Moving on, my school last year, using Firefox, uses Windows 2000. The company I worked for uses Windows 2000 (all the companies I visited in my training period then used Windows 2000). Only one person in my street uses Luna, the rest classic theme or Windows 2k (I know this because I have to fix their problems alot).

The majority of the people I help with computer problems, don't use Luna.

Also, it's just not good sense.
Elen

Post by Elen »

I don't see what is the problem, Firefox menus have always looked hideous (and will look hideous until native look is fully implemented), at least now they look somewhat correct on the most used OS.

If you don't like it, just use userChrome to go back to the old look.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

@ Elen: Where are the stats that it is most used OS? then point to me where at in those stats it says what theme is used.
Elfguy

Post by Elfguy »

WinXP on Luna is NOT the most used OS. WinXP is apparently used on 66% of desktop computers. Of those, I would guess only a bit more than half are using Luna. That's a total of a bit more than 33% of users on Luna.

This new look is ugly, plain and simple. At the very least it should be an option to turn classic mode back on.
bsr5

Post by bsr5 »

*sign*

It looks horrible.
Last edited by bsr5 on September 7th, 2005, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elen

Post by Elen »

Common sense? Only so called powerusers/maybe some businesses bother to change default theme
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Elen wrote:I don't see what is the problem, Firefox menus have always looked hideous (and will look hideous until native look is fully implemented), at least now they look somewhat correct on the most used OS.

If you don't like it, just use userChrome to go back to the old look.

Right back at you...if you all want the 'Uglies' then you use the userChrome to change it, or make a theme for 'My Ugly browser wanna look like M$ theme'
aos101

Post by aos101 »

I agree also. This looks ugly on systems running classic theme. According to Asa there are 200+ million users of pre XP systems, and giving them a naff looking UI is not going to help takeup by them. Messing up the appearance of the menu for 200+ million potential users is not worth it just to make the appearance under Luna look slightly better. Some people have said that it can just be fixed using userChrome.css, but most users don't know what this is nor how to fix it. Users should not be expected to have to do anything to have their menus look OK.
mconnor

Post by mconnor »

This is about doing the right thing on the platform the most users use, ranting about M$ is irrelevant here. The data we based the decision on was that most of our XP users use Luna, and XP is far and away the dominant platform in our userbase, and continuing to grow at the expense of other Windows versions. We know some people will be unhappy with the change, hopefully someone will get constructive and come up with a userChrome tweak that we can add to the support page for those still using old-style themes. Or even better, implement native menu rendering on Windows so this becomes irrelevant.

Couple points about your "arguments"

JS Console's top row is buttons, not a menubar, and should have images on each button by Beta 2.
The sanitize bug is more than likely to be utterly unrelated to a styling change for the menubar.
This isn't so much about aping IE as looking right on the platform with all of the other apps, ignoring that Office gets it really wrong.
hhh

Post by hhh »

@aos
It was Asa who pushed for this patch to go through.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

@aos
It was Chris Cunningham ( aka Thumper) that strongarmed Asa, Mike Conner, Ben and who knows who else into accepting this garbage. Read the bug and note the comments: Abusive in spots, and in others the attitude more of less : "If ya don't like it too bad" (paraphrased)
Last edited by a;skdjfajf;ak on September 7th, 2005, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoxerBoi76

Post by BoxerBoi76 »

mconnor wrote:This is about doing the right thing on the platform the most users use, ranting about M$ is irrelevant here. The data we based the decision on was that most of our XP users use Luna, and XP is far and away the dominant platform in our userbase, and continuing to grow at the expense of other Windows versions. We know some people will be unhappy with the change, hopefully someone will get constructive and come up with a userChrome tweak that we can add to the support page for those still using old-style themes. Or even better, implement native menu rendering on Windows so this becomes irrelevant.

Can I please see the data for this statement "The data we based the decision on was that most of our XP users use Luna"? I personally know of quite a few very large companies that use XP Classic on all of there systems and have FF installed. I for one will be using a different theme we I push FF 1.5 to our desktops that are XP Classic and those number in the thousands!

BoxerBoi76