Xft rpms

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Yek

yet more xft/java info (as if you needed it)

Post by Yek »

I searched my way here, somehow, after having used binary builds of phoenix .4 and .5 from the mozilla.org site that worked just fine with java 1.4.1 plugins, and also after deciding to enable xft on the mozilla source ala the original poster's site (which is really nice as are the builds there other than the obvious java plugin not working problem).

Anyway: I looked around for this problem via searching the net and came up with a couple of things that seem right on the mark for me. Check out these two URL's:

Mozilla bug 116444: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116444
Java (Sun's site) bug: http://developer.java.sun.com/developer ... 87814.html

Read those for awhile and you can see the long nasty road this bug has followed. Java's plugins were built under gcc 2.x.x, which matches the gcc used by mozilla/phoenix binary builds. This means that their binaries tend to work fine with the java plugin (I'm using 1.4.1, but other's work). That's the good news, but the bad news is that since we all want to download the source so we can enable xft, make it , etc.. We can't unless we're using the gcc 2.x.x compiler rather than the 3.2.x one that many of us have.

I just got onto this stuff pretty much yesterday and today and after reading those threads (URL's above) , realized that at least someone at Sun (see the last 4 or 5 posts to the bugzilla/mozilla URL) and any number of people working on Mozilla are involved in it. Sun basically closed the case saying they didn't support mozilla (phoenix , whatever). However, if you dig around enough you'll see that Sun is trying to make the next (soon) 1.4.2 jvm (jre) using a newer gcc as well as without the name-mangling that appears to be the source of the entire problem.

Hope that wasn't too much bad news :) I saw that part about the glib fix posted by crippled-bird, got all into it, and downloaded 2.3.1 glibc and tried it out (isolated heavily from every other part of my still -working system lol.. ) -- No go for me. I think the Sun guys and those working on mozilla are on the right track but we'll be stuck waiting until they figure a good solution out.

G/L
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

Your conclusions are definitely consistent with the bits and pieces I've found. I guess if there's any good news, it's that everyone's aware of it, and more than a few people are working to see that things move in the right direction. Thanks for the informative follow-up!
joshk

Post by joshk »

geekboy2000 wrote:Well, I'll be happy if I can find myself able to achieve your level of frustration. :) I spent most of last night trying to build Phoenix from Moz source, and gave up after hitting an "no rule to make target 'export'" error. I simply don't yet know enough to be able to tackle it yet. So, you're making good progress. I'll keep an eye out for your breakthrough. :)

Did you specify MOZ_PHOENIX=1 in .mozconfig, but forget to cvs up -Pd mozilla/browser mozilla/toolkit from the root of your tree?
<mspencer> Hitler used an aimbot.
geekboy2000

Post by geekboy2000 »

joshk wrote:
geekboy2000 wrote:Well, I'll be happy if I can find myself able to achieve your level of frustration. :) I spent most of last night trying to build Phoenix from Moz source, and gave up after hitting an "no rule to make target 'export'" error. I simply don't yet know enough to be able to tackle it yet. So, you're making good progress. I'll keep an eye out for your breakthrough. :)

Did you specify MOZ_PHOENIX=1 in .mozconfig, but forget to cvs up -Pd mozilla/browser mozilla/toolkit from the root of your tree?

I did specify MOZ_PHOENIX=1, but didn't do the cvd-up -Pd. I was attempting this with 1.2.1 Moz source locally, so I didn't think it was necessary. Then again, I really don't have a clue as to exactly what I'm doing yet. :) Thanks.
phoenixkid

Build instructions

Post by phoenixkid »

http://phoenix.ragweed.net/build

In case anyone's curious, I build with:
gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)
famewolf

XFT

Post by famewolf »

If anyone has an i586 or lower binary of the XFT enables Phoenix please send a link my way. System here is Redhat 8.

Thanks.

Fa^..^e\/\/olf
jimb0

xft rpms and gestures

Post by jimb0 »

the xft rpms are very sweet - I installed the mouse gestures extension as I normally do but they only work for root... I tried lightening permissions on the phoenix directories but no joy... Any one know why?
sdsurfgeek

does java work for you phoenixkid?

Post by sdsurfgeek »

Phoenixkid,

Does java work for you with your xft build?
joshk

Post by joshk »

It wouldn't work unless that build was compiled using gcc-2.95...
<mspencer> Hitler used an aimbot.
rgrashel

gcc 2.x compiled with xft?

Post by rgrashel »

I was just wondering if someone was going to compile Phoenix 0.5 with xft under gcc 2.x? I'd do it myself, but I'm running RH8.0 and don't have an old version of gcc around.

Maybe one of the guys at Mozilla can give the Phoenix guys access to the resources that they use to compile their experimental xft-enabled builds under gcc 2.x. That way Phoenix users could be able to use the java plugin with the xft compiled stuff just like we can with Mozilla.

-- Rick