1.5 Beta 1 won't start on my machine

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
MitchW

1.5 Beta 1 won't start on my machine

Post by MitchW »

When I try to run Firefox 1.5 Beta 1, the process "firefox.exe" shows up in the Task Manager list, but only momentarily -- then it disappears. The GUI never appears. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and it doesn't help. I've tried running it in Safe Mode and I've tried running it with the -profilemanager switch; nothing helps.

Any clues?
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Well you haven't mentioned the only thing that allows you to start fresh. Which is with a new profile. Try renaming the "Mozilla" folder under application directory:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#locate
MitchW

Post by MitchW »

I thought the -profilemanager switch allowed you to start it up and create a brand new profile
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Oh so the profile manager did start alright?
gaminRey

Post by gaminRey »

having this same problem.

WinXP SP2 and I had 1.06 installed (have it again now so I can actually post)

I have restarted the computer, I have uninstalled the program, deleted the program Folder, removed the entire "Mozilla" folder all to no avail. I can confirm that starting the exe does create a new mozilla folder with all the profile files. This is the one and only thing it appears to be doing.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

gaminRey wrote:I have restarted the computer, I have uninstalled the program, deleted the program Folder, removed the entire "Mozilla" folder all to no avail. I can confirm that starting the exe does create a new mozilla folder with all the profile files. This is the one and only thing it appears to be doing.
Are you talking about the profile files in the Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files? That isn't a profile, it's the pattern Firefox follows to create profiles. Refer to mcm_ham's first post above, he has the right info.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.2, Developer Edition 126.0b4, Nightly 127.0a1.
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

I think he did look under the right location. I linked gamin here from another thread since they seem to share the same problem. Not sure what the answer is though.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=315846
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I saw the other thread after I posted here, it does sound like he's already tried the things I would have expected to fix it. I don't know, clean out the registry maybe?
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.2, Developer Edition 126.0b4, Nightly 127.0a1.
MitchW

Post by MitchW »

mcm_ham wrote:Oh so the profile manager did start alright?

Nope -- when I try to run Firefox with the -profilemanager switch, nothing happens.
MitchW

Post by MitchW »

mcm_ham wrote:Well you haven't mentioned the only thing that allows you to start fresh. Which is with a new profile. Try renaming the "Mozilla" folder under application directory:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#locate

OK -- I tried that, and now the 1.5 Beta will start. But of course it isn't "aware" of any of the extensions or themes (or bookmarks) I had in Firefox 1.06. (I let it import my IE bookmarks.)

There should be a way to upgrade from one version of Firefox to another without having to start from scratch with personalizations like bookmarks, themes, etc.
pikaunforgiven

Post by pikaunforgiven »

under normal circumstances everything will convert over just fine, sounds to me an extension caused the breakage. i usually tell my friends to disable as much as possible (all extensions and themes at least) when they update and so far none of them has had this sort of problem going from 1.0.6 to trunk or branch builds.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can try deleteting the xul cache (xul.mfl). It will be rebuild if you restart Fx. In DP a2 and Fx 1.5 it has moved from the profile folder to "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\" (with quotes,watch the local settings folder). Then go to your profiles folder. The disk cache is also there, in case you are looking for that in your profiles folder (about:cache also shows the path)
mcm_ham

Post by mcm_ham »

Well at least that works for you MitchW. If some of the suggestions above don't help then inside the old Mozilla folder you renamed copy "bookmarks.html, key3.db, signons.txt" and the extensions folder to the new Mozilla folder that's been created.
aelfwyne

No workie here either.

Post by aelfwyne »

Completely clean profile, uninstalled previous version of FFox (which was working fine TYVM), deleted all mozilla folders in both Program Files and Documents & Settings directories.

Installed 1.5 - it doesn't load. Gives no error message, it simply fails silently. I get a busy cursor for a few seconds, is all.
dickvl

Re: No workie here either.

Post by dickvl »

aelfwyne wrote:Completely clean profile, uninstalled previous version of FFox (which was working fine TYVM), deleted all mozilla folders in both Program Files and Documents & Settings directories.

Installed 1.5 - it doesn't load. Gives no error message, it simply fails silently. I get a busy cursor for a few seconds, is all.

You could try deleting the registry keys in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla
(only those from Firefox, if you have other version installed).