Address book (LDAP) and Thunderbird 1.5 beta 1

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
hlsu

Address book (LDAP) and Thunderbird 1.5 beta 1

Post by hlsu »

Post to correct forum.

I just noticed that the address book of TB 1.5 beta didn't render the entry from my company's internal LDAP server. However, it's fine when I was composing a message and thus email would be matched while I typed the names.

Anyone experienced similar problem?

Thanks,

HL
hansen

Post by hansen »

What do you mean by render?
BryanSD

Post by BryanSD »

By "rendering", I think he means the auto-completion feature.

I have not tested the Beta, but have noticed similar problems with LDAP in the nightlies. Work is using the older Netscape Directory. Though in my case, the auto-completion worked in "Contacts" and the "Address Book", but not in the compositions windows main addressing Window. Also, in the Contacts and Address Book...only by using the last name and not the display name and first name could the user be listed. I've seen these problems in other versions before...and it always seemed by the time the release candidates for the full version was out, the problem was corrected.

As I said, I haven't tested Beta 1. When time allows, I'll give it a try.

-Bryan
hlsu

Post by hlsu »

Thanks Bryan, you've given a good elaboration.

The "Auto-completion" is working while using the composer. However, when I used the Address Book and select my company's LDAP server, it didn't return any result when I typed the full name. Obviously it worked when I used the TB 1.06.

- HL
hansen

Post by hansen »

Try a new profile and set the LDAP up once more there.

It might be a glitch in the preferences.
jacketmowitz

Post by jacketmowitz »

I've had a problem with the corporate directory for a while and just tried this today. I don't know if it'll help you folks or not:

I fixed the problem w/ our LDAP. I had to add the following line into either the prefs.js [above user_pref("ldap_2.autoComplete.useDirectory", true);] or user.js files. Note that "servername" is the name of the corporate directory and should be replaced by your own directory name.

user_pref("ldap_2.autoComplete.directoryServer", "ldap_2.servers.servername");
hlsu

Post by hlsu »

It's still not working while I used the standalone "Address Book" to search the names ...
hansen

Post by hansen »

Try putting an asteric (*) in the quicksearch of the Address Book. Does make the addresses show up?
hlsu

Post by hlsu »

Still not working. Basically it's fine while using the composer, but not the standalone address book.

The other part I've noticed is that the response time of auto-complete of Thunderbird (1.0.x and 1.5 Beta 1) is not as good as Mozilla suite.

HL
kalaroo

Post by kalaroo »

I can confirm this sighting. The address book searches to my company ldap server do not return any responses but the autocomplete feature in the compose window still works. I'm using the official TBird 1.5 Windows build on WinXP SP2. This used to work in TBird 1.06.
hlsu

Post by hlsu »

I downloaded the 9/18 branch build. It's still the same: The address book searches to my company ldap server do not return any responses but the autocomplete feature in the compose window still works.
flaxthejute

Post by flaxthejute »

I had this problem, but solved it (touches wood) by deleting and re-entering the LDAP settings for the hospital server

Flax
hlsu

Post by hlsu »

I deleted the LDAP entry, and re-created it. It's still the same problem. But it works fine with TB 1.0.6 and Mozilla 1.7.x.