[Needs Testing] Patch for Bug# 243078-Native Theme Rendering

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
twpol

Post by twpol »

Ok, so that file's been moved (LXR will tell you where it is). Is that really so hard to cope with?
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Look, you don't have to help me - that's perfectly fine, but you could at least be civil about it, especially since I'm trying to test your patch with the specific goal of getting it checked in to the branch for 1.5. If I'm having problems on the way, it's probable that whoever reviews for the branch will have them too. I'm of the opinion that getting this stuff out in the open now is better than waiting for an overworked reviewer to reject the patch because of possible dependencies.
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

*sage nod*

All problems are fair game, so I at least don't see an issue with bringing them up. I'm not on Win32, otherwise I'd consider poking this myself.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

maybe I missed something but is this going to fix native themeing on windows 2k and 98 as well?
twpol

Post by twpol »

Uh, I am being civil. If you can't apply it, that's fine, but it's really not my concern. I am quite capable of making this patch work on the branch, I just can't make any builds with it currently. No-one's suggested that any patch is ready for review, and if they have they are wrong.

If you want to spend time applying an unfinished patch, you should be prepared to do the work. I'm only asking people to try the build I made. If you (for some unknown reason) think that testing it on the trunk is not appropriate, do whatever you like, but don't come crying to me when you mess up or can't make it work.

supernova_00, this patch fixes the apperance of menus on all versions of Windows. It displays them in the usual classic apperance on all unthemable versions (pre-XP), and applies the theme if and as appropriate on XP and later. So yes, it will look great on 2K and 98 (I use 2K mostly at home).
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Alright, looks like the patch for bug 305291 would also need a checkin, and possibly the patch for bug 305662 as a followup.
twpol

Post by twpol »

Neither of those are required I believe, as my changes are contained within the nsNativeThemeWin files. With possibly a few small tweaks, it should work fine just applied to the files in their old location (since the only real change was their location and plumbing of the build system).
mw22

Post by mw22 »

Cusser, see patch2 in bug 243078 that i've attached. It should apply cleanly (even for branch builds, I think).
twpol

Post by twpol »

mw, it wont apply directly to branch builds because of the file-move performed in bug 305291.
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

twpol: i was asking because the menus still have the flat look like what 303806 introduced on my w2k box.
twpol

Post by twpol »

supernova_00, define "flat"? They look just how they should on my 2K box (menubar items get a raised border on hover, menu items are highlighted on hover, and the popups have 3D raised borders).
twpol

Post by twpol »

Actually, it occurs to me that prior to Win2000, the menus used the highlight colours on the menubar too (anyone with any reference on the exact apperance on every version from 95 up and NT 4 up would be good). An easy thing to fix. :)
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

nm was because i had another instance of firefox open (latest trunk).

i think i found a bug though. there is a 1px white line at the bottom of the toolbar, like load mozilla.org and look at the very top of the page there is a 1px white line between the page and the toolbar.

EDIT: also on the left side of the toolbars
BoxerBoi76

Post by BoxerBoi76 »

supernova_00 wrote:i think i found a bug though. there is a 1px white line at the bottom of the toolbar, like load mozilla.org and look at the very top of the page there is a 1px white line between the page and the toolbar.

EDIT: also on the left side of the toolbars

Supernova_00,

I believe for now that is intended. It can certainly be changed. I actually like the 3dhighlights around all of the toolbars, it gives them a more professional "finished" look then what we have currently. You can see them here: http://twpol.dyndns.org/temp/appearance_menu_3b.png <- Is a screenshot courtesy of James (Patch author)!

BoxerBoi76
twpol

Post by twpol »

That is really correct, if you look at how rebars display in other applications. The reason it looks bad is because Firefox's devs decided not to make the content area sunken like every other app. If you look in IE, for example, the rebar (equiv. to XUL's toolbox) has the proper 2px groove at the bottom, right next to the 2px border of the sunken area. :-/

If you open multiple tabs in the Fox, it looks fine, and since XUL is not only used in the browser window, I can't just remove that line from the native rendering code. If it is possible, a single "3D shadow" line between the toolbox and content area, done in CSS, would probably make it look better.

And what do you mean "left side of the toolbars"? That's got the 2px groove just like rebars are meant to!

Please remember to compare against a native application using the rebar controls (e.g. IE) and not just any app with a toolbar. The XUL toolbox and toolbar, at least for native theming, are using their apperance both in the existing code, and that which I've added (I didn't decide this!).

Edit: But thanks for testing! The more you spot, the more we can evaluate for fixing. :D