[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Schrade

Post by Schrade »

I don't think anyone knew you could Customize the toolbars, I sure didn't. I wouldn't have chirped up about wanting a Clear button if I knew you could customize it like the Firefox browser window.
"Linux is for those who hate Windows, BSD is for those who love Unix." -Some Guy
Try my themes: QuBranch and QuTrunk
Fix Firefox's Resized image scrolling speed: <b>Bug 163975</b>
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

zeniko wrote:The updated v0.1.6 should fix (in a hackish way, so it probably won't always work) the missing icons. If anybody knows how to theme extensions differently depending on the used platform/theme, I might improve the fix. Additionally I've modified the focus outline - you might now see it on OS X, too (got no own Mac, so there won't be any testing - and skinning isn't really my business, anyway).

The icons for warning, error, etc now work fine on OS X.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Here goes another testing release: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">Console² v0.1.6+</a>, which implements a somewhat cleaner solution for detecting OS X and which provides icon overlays for CSS and XML errors. The overlays look half-way alright on winstripe, but might not on other themes. So if somebody would like to improve them (the font's background probably shouldn't be transparent)...

And now that you can see the difference, please notify me, if you think that some errors/messages are in the wrong language category (notification should include a text copy of the item and if possible the error's actual category - that one you'll find by inspecting the item's box's attributes).
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

zeniko wrote:The updated v0.1.6 should fix (in a hackish way, so it probably won't always work) the missing icons. If anybody knows how to theme extensions differently depending on the used platform/theme, I might improve the fix. Additionally I've modified the focus outline - you might now see it on OS X, too (got no own Mac, so there won't be any testing - and skinning isn't really my business, anyway).

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/ch ... ackages.29 ?
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

asqueella wrote:http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/chrome.manifest#platform_.28Platform-specific_packages.29 ?

Well, unfortunately the platform modifier works only for content and not for skin registration. But that's better than nothing (and neatly solved my javascript: flickering problem), thanks!
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

It seems that errors from Components.reportError are treated as "content" too.

Also when hide duplicates option is on, the console contents flickers a bit when a new (duplicate) message is logged. Apparent when mouse-overing GMail inbox page with Error Console in foreground.

Alt+C shortcut for Clear doesn't work when the Clear button isn't on the toolbar. I think you should include a workaround for that, if not add the Clear button back on the toolbar.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Here goes the next testing release (consider it a nightly): <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">Console² v0.1.6.1+</a>, which is a flicker-reducing version - on the one hand, the original console should now be seamlessly replaced since it is simply overridden in chrome; on the other hand, the filters apply now before a message is shown, which should eliminate all unnecessary movement in the console.

The categories are still not applied correctly, that'll follow in the next release (I'll have to rewrite the detection algorithm first).

And as for Alt+C: that'll be Alt+O,C now, if you don't want to put the Clear button itself back to the toolbar. For now, I'm quite happy with the defaults, but I'll provide you with all reasonable means of getting the Console to work the way you're used to (which means: somewhat customizeable and as a last resort easily overlayable).
phiw13

Post by phiw13 »

with Console² v0.1.6.1+, I get an error:

Code: Select all

Error: aChild is not defined
Source File: chrome://console2/content/console2.js
Line: 547

Also, the error-, etc icons have disappeared again (OS X).

But it still works otherwise (I think, it flags the expected errors on one of my sites).
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

I don't know if this would be possible, but it would be nice if the result of statements you evaluated directly in the Console would always be shown, even if the filter is set to "Content" or a non-JS language.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

@phiw13: That'll be fixed tonight.

@Unarmed: That would probably be feasible, but I'm not yet convinced of its usefulness (and hate to think about having to introduce the first pref setting ;-)). It could even be confusing to display these results when filtering for Content, as because the context for the evaluation is Chrome, what you test might not work for content anyway. Maybe you could elaborate more about why this should still go in. Otherways you could give my Console Filter extension a try, which allows to control somewhat more precisely what actually should be shown...
asqueella

Post by asqueella »

The categories are still not applied correctly, that'll follow in the next release (I'll have to rewrite the detection algorithm first).

I think this is covered by your comment, but the syntax errors in expressions evaluated in the console are reported as content, while the output they provide is treated as chrome.

About Unarmed's suggestion, I agree it is a bit confusing when the output/errors of what you evaluate in the console is filtered out. I think that from the UI point of view, it would be good, if the results of evaluation were duplicated in a tooltip, or something like that, if they are not visible in the console's richlistbox due to filtering.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

I haven't read this whole thread and only looked at your chrome.manifest, but you can try the new chrome "override" to replace the console with console2, might require some recoding and having a seperate copy etc, but it would give you full control over your xul and would not bring up the base console when called, just an idea:

override chrome://package/type/original-uri.whatever new-resolved-URI

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Ch ... n#override
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
onemen

Post by onemen »

Last edited by onemen on September 21st, 2005, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onemen

Post by onemen »

Last edited by onemen on September 21st, 2005, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Night again, time for a nightly: <a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">Console² v0.1.6.2+</a>. This should fix the OS X missing-icons bug, as well as all the category bugs (see below). Temporarily I've also added a tooltip for displaying evaluation results should the result itself get filtered out. Don't like it this way, though, so I'm waiting for better proposals (how should it look like, what about error messages?).

@mrtech: You've missed the testing versions. On asqueella's hint above, I've implemented this for v0.1.6.1+.

@onemen: Are you sure that they are related to this extension? I don't see it overlaying console.xul and what I do in the browser overlay is absolutely harmless. This might rather be an ieview bug which just got uncovered by a different loading order of your extensions.

Now as for the categories, below is a reference of all category strings I've found in the current 1.8 branch sources and how they're interpreted by Console². For all categories where no context is indicated (Chrome or Content), the context is deduced from the error's source (everything starting with chrome:// is Chrome, the rest is Content). Since strict warnings don't feature a category, I had to put the empty category to the JavaScript errors. Tell me, in case you don't agree with any of this.

~ Lang: JS ~
xbl javascript
chrome javascript [Chrome]
content javascript [Content]
component javascript [Chrome]
XPConnect JavaScript [Chrome]
XPInstall JavaScript
<none> / error or message [Chrome]
<none> / warning

~ Lang: CSS ~
CSS Loader
CSS Parser

~ Lang: XML ~
malformed-xml
chrome registration [Chrome]
HTML
XBL Content Sink
XUL Document
DOM:HTML
ImageMap
Last edited by old zeniko on March 17th, 2006, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.