Bidz.com POPUPS!!! I cannot get rid of them!!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
PalominoGirl

Bidz.com POPUPS!!! I cannot get rid of them!!!!

Post by PalominoGirl »

Help!!! [profanity removed by LeRoi] bidz.com keeps popping up and taking over everytime I try to go to any other site than mozilla....I sue the latest version of Mozilla and have my settings set to NOT allow popups, somehow they are getting by...PLease someone help me!!!! I am sooooo annoyed and I have tried adaware and spybot but that does not seem to help!!!!!!
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Please control your language.

Try this:

Type about:config into the location bar and press enter, right click any line and select new > integer, paste the following line into the dialogue that appears:

privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins

click okay, give the new line a value of 2 in the next dialogue that appears, click okay, close and reopen Firefox.

Post by Guest »

Uhm....??? Sorry, didn't mean to offend...but if you have ever seen these popups, they are pretty invasive..They take over the whole page and you have to back out of them...I work from home online and have spent the better part of the last two days trying to get rid of bidz.com...I just need some advice. please. thanks.

Post by Guest »

I just did that, and reopened mozilla...went to ebay.com to check my account and bidz.com popped up within 7 seconds...Sigh...any other ideas?

Post by Guest »

and let me add that Lycos.com just popped up while I was reading this ...its as if I get more pop ups now than I ever did....and I have been using Mozilla for months....baffled
camstatic

Post by camstatic »

You have a browser hijacker, search google for the "ad aware" and "spybot: search & destroy" programs, download them, updated them, and run them both. Should fix your problem :)
If it ain't broke, tweak it!
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

It sounds like malware infection to me, you might read here:

Pop-ups not blocked - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

I do not believe the malware came in through Firefox, probably through P2P, IE or a program you installed had it piggy-backed.

I have never had any problems with spyware/adware since switching to Gecko based browsers (as is Firefox) several years ago.
Last edited by LeRoi on September 22nd, 2005, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

I have run them both already several times actually....Thats why I am writing...I am out of ideas......
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

You may need to register at a forum that specializes in malware detection/removal and follow their guidelines to post a hijackthis log file.

Post by Guest »

Ok thanks...this is all a bit high tech for me...but I will follow the instructions you gave and cross my fingers....
camstatic

Post by camstatic »

Okay so it's something that's slipping past those programs... Have you tried searching control panel > add remove for something that may be related to bidz.com? I've noticed some malware/spyware actually come with uninstallers. You might get lucky.

There is another option also, a power tool called "hijackthis" (not recommended for novices) which could be used to remove almost anything *ware-ish. Perhaps if you download this, create a log, and paste the log back here, myself or someone else could be able to tell you which entries to remove.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

It is very important to minimize the number of entries that hijackthis reports and to create a folder from which to run hijackthis so that backups it creates are not strewn over your desktop or other areas of you hard drive.

That is why I recommended expert help at a forum that specializes in this type of thing. I have little experience in removing malware and the experience I do have is several years old and malware has evolved greatly since then.
camstatic

Post by camstatic »

90% of my job is spyware/malware/adware removal, so I should be able to correctly diagnose the log.

Thanks for the mention of the backups LeRoi, I forgot to mention that :)
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

That's great if you know how to diagnose this stuff.

Glad to be of service when I can, you're more than welcome.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.26-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list