Something eating my cookies?

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
rODbegbie

Something eating my cookies?

Post by rODbegbie »

Cookies in Phoenix seem to be disappearing after about a week. I have to relogin to Slashdot, or tell the BBC News site that I'm not in the Uk, roughly every 7 days.

Is this a common dumb thing that I just have set wrong? Or something more sinister?

Cheers,

rOD.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Maybe those cookies are set to expire after one week? You can check this in the Cookie Manager. If they're not set to expire and the disappearing is not connected to a crash or something similar, it could be a bug. If not, well...
hackworth

yup.

Post by hackworth »

Me too. 12/28 build, win2k.

Cookies that I have saved in IE that never expire seem to not stick after a few days in Phoenix. I noticed the same thing in mozilla 1.2.1 also. In both browsers, it seems to have happened only after I had been using the browser for a good period of time, like a month or so, so I thought it might be a cache issue, but clearing the cache doesn't seem to help.
Last edited by hackworth on March 24th, 2003, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lar3ry

Re: Something eating my cookies?

Post by lar3ry »

rODbegbie wrote:Is this a common dumb thing that I just have set wrong? Or something more sinister?

Actually, I saw something like this a few months back where Mozilla at work (Tru64 Unix) seemed to "forget" cookies every time I quit Mozilla (or restarted due to a crash). I even copied the cookie* files from my profile at home (where this didn't happen) to my work system. Same behavior.

It wasn't a bug in Mozilla, after all!

It turned out that the "privoxy" proxy filter that I had ported to Tru64 was changing all cookies to session cookies "quietly" for me, so when I exited Mozilla, Mozilla "correctly" deleted the session cookies.

So... do you have some sort of proxy that might be filtering cookies for you?
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" - A. Carlson
rODbegbie

Re: yup.

Post by rODbegbie »

hackworth wrote:Cookies that I have saved in IE that never expire seem to not stick after a few days in Phoenix.

Precisely. And I've checked in the Privacy window, and Phoenix is aware that the expiration date is set to 2036, say. It'll stick around for a week, then disappear. I've not noticed any kind of logic or reason as to when this happens.

Anyone else seeing this?

rOD.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I've seen it a few times in Phoenix actually, although I'd ignored it up until now...

As an aside though, once upon a time I was having sever problems with cookie management, and it ended up being because my system clock was set to about thirty years in the future... :)

- Chris
DarkStorm

Post by DarkStorm »

Same problem for me

But it's even more evil than that. It remembers the cookies on some sites but if i click a PHP script link for instance or try to post a POST form it doesnt send the cookies => Can't post on certain boards anymore.

that sucks, anyone has the same problem?
cu,
Storm
aldreis

Post by aldreis »

Same with me. But only in Windows ( I´m using the 12/28 build, Linux and Win ).
daihard
Folder@Home

Post by daihard »

Aldreis wrote:Same with me. But only in Windows ( I´m using the 12/28 build, Linux and Win ).

No wonder I haven't run into that problem. ;)

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3a) Gecko/20030131 Phoenix/0.5
Kubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-25-generic) / KDE 3.5.10
CentOS 4.8 (kernel 2.6.9-78.0.22.ELsmp) / KDE 3.5.10
Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard) / iPhone 3GS (32GB black)
DarkStorm

Post by DarkStorm »

Aldreis wrote:Same with me. But only in Windows ( I´m using the 12/28 build, Linux and Win ).

Yep Windows for me too.
Can anyone post a bug for that on bugzilla and post the link here?
DarkStorm

Post by DarkStorm »

Clearing the cookies does NOT solve the problem (they're not sent any longer directly after i login or sent incorrectly? no idea)

bye,
Storm
hackworth

Any new word?

Post by hackworth »

Hi, just pushing this thread back up to see if anyone knows of any progress made on this issue? The latest version of phoenix I have running is the march 4th build, I believe, and I am still having this problem. I love phoenix, but this problem is making me use Mozilla instead. :/
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

I have never had a cookie problem on Windows 2K ever through several nightlies since 12/28.
Crashes kill favicons (& cache) but cookies are rock-solid. I even copy my cookie file to new build profiles w/o seeing a problem. I would suspect something else [privoxy-like] is doing this to you. Work/home? Proxy? Um, IE/Internet Options Control Panel could be doing this?

Seems like a major annoyance that's worth solving if it affects so many people....

Post by hackworth »

It is very annoying. I am using it at home, no proxy. What in the IE/Internet Options Control Panel could affect this? Anti-Virus software (norton AV 2002) wouldn't do this, would it?

I've been using mozilla1.3 for the past 3 weeks, and the problem is just now starting to show up there, too. same old story, works fine for a while, the kaput. it's like it gets "full" and wont' accept new cookies without dumping old ones, or somthing.
Spewey
Folder@Home

Post by Spewey »

hackworth wrote:It is very annoying. I am using it at home, no proxy. What in the IE/Internet Options Control Panel could affect this? Anti-Virus software (norton AV 2002) wouldn't do this, would it?

I've been using mozilla1.3 for the past 3 weeks, and the problem is just now starting to show up there, too. same old story, works fine for a while, the kaput. it's like it gets "full" and wont' accept new cookies without dumping old ones, or somthing.

Cookies are a delicious delicacy. The little Cookie Monster inside your computer has his furry, blue torso-bag filled with crumbs and can eat no more.

I've had both Px & Moz (well, mostly mozmail) do some dag nasty dataloss acts when they don't close "right" but I have also had many perfect recoveries too. Maybe it's fake-closing? Check the Task Manager to make sure it has gone away.

I don't actually know of a Windows setting that could cause something this sporadic yet predictable. Norton Anything is not welcome on my computer. So....