[Ext] Console² 0.1 to 0.3.6.2

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

Ah, great, thanks, just installed latest, nice and fast. One request though, I've overlay the internal console with persist "sizemode" can you do the same so that the window size and mode are persisted between opening and closing thanks.

basically this:
persist="screenX screenY width height"
becomes this:
persist="screenX screenY width height sizemode"
mel reyes • mrtech.com • BlogPlaxoLinkedInTwitter
Support mrtech.com get our toolbar
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2.xpi">Console² v0.1.7</a> is basically v0.1.6.2+ without the evaluation tooltip (still looking for a better solution) and with support for page up/down and a persistent sizemode. Cheers.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

zeniko, with Local Install I currently overlay the js console with different background colors based on the msg type:

- soft red/pink for error & exception msgs
- light yellow for warnings and
- light gray for messages

Below is the css code, just wondering if you'd consider adding similar to your extension, thanks.

.console-row[type="error"],
.console-row[type="exception"],
.console-row[type="error"] .console-row-icon,
.console-row[type="exception"] .console-row-icon {
background-color: #FFECEC !important;
}

.console-row[type="warning"],
.console-row[type="warning"] .console-row-icon {
background-color: #FFFFE0 !important;
}

.console-row[type="message"],
.console-row[type="message"] .console-row-icon {
background-color: #F5F5F5 !important;
}

.console-row {
border-bottom: 1px solid ThreedShadow !important;
}
onemen

Post by onemen »

zeniko, i'd like to see separate buttons in the customize toolbar
for the diffrent types All, Erros, Warnings and Messages
Unarmed

Post by Unarmed »

zeniko wrote:Temporarily I've also added a tooltip for displaying evaluation results should the result itself get filtered out. Don't like it this way, though, so I'm waiting for better proposals (how should it look like, what about error messages?).

Here's a possible implementation: The result of the evaulation is displayed in the console at the top for a brief time, then it's hidden with some sort of transition to indicate it still exists outside the current view. Perhaps a mouseover could temporarily prevent it from being hidden.

<a href="http://s93731204.onlinehome.us/firefox/ec.gif">(animated GIF demo, 38K)</a>
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

I'd make the result's background grey and remove the result when the filtering options change.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

Today's nightly (<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">v0.1.7+</a>) features once more the good ol' basic mode buttons (including icons), ready to be added to a toolbar. Secondly, this is the first multi-lingual release - especially for our German and Spanish friends. Finally, I've had another take on the JavaScript evaluation problem, and I've got together what I belief is a halfway acceptable solution:

* The result or the first error is shown in an undecorated, single line popup which is about the size of the evaluation textbox. This popup is always visible, if the actual result message isn't (i.e. also if you've just scrolled down too far). It is hidden after three seconds or as soon as you click anywhere or hit Esc or Tab or Alt (I'm looking into expanding this to the whole keyboard). Suggestions for how to further style this popup are welcome (if possible, include some code, since many solutions look fabulous but are terrible to implement)...

As for your suggestions:
@Greg: The problem is: what happens if you've scrolled to somewhere into the middle of all messages? You'd not see the result, either.
@Unarmed: I really like your suggestion, however I don't see how it could be easily implemented (shrinking the richlistitems might even be possible as long as we're talking about a visible first element, but what if we're looking for the last one - when sorting the other way round - or what if we're in the middle of our mess?)...
@onemen: There you go.
@mrtech: I've tried them out (simply adding your CSS to userChrome.css was enough), and I don't like them too much. The problem is that when the colors are too weak, you won't really see them, anyway, and if they're stronger, you loose reading contrast. Since you can easily add them yourself, I'd prefer to leave them out.
rtk

Post by rtk »

After install, the customize toolbar dialog (not sure of the correct term) for both the error console and the main firefox window has a dotted line around all the icons. Not sure if it's intentional, and not sure if I mind it or not! ;)
rtk
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

[quote="@mrtech: I've tried them out (simply adding your CSS to userChrome.css was enough), and I don't like them too much. The problem is that when the colors are too weak, you won't really see them, anyway, and if they're stronger, you loose reading contrast. Since you can easily add them yourself, I'd prefer to leave them out."][/quote]
overlay here I come ;)

edit: even simpler, just added a style to my manifest and bam, all set thanks.
mrtech

Post by mrtech »

having options to define bgcolor for each msg type would be a nice feature....
onemen

Post by onemen »

excellent

small bug
the toolbar always show icon and text. even when i set it to show only text or only icon.
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

This weekend's nightly (<a href="http://www.haslo.ch/zeniko/software/console2-dev.xpi">v0.1.7.1+</a>) should again take care of most issues: icons and text are now correctly displayed for all buttons where an icon is available and the dotted lines in the Customize dialog are gone once more (don't think they're really needed). Additionally, I've squashed some minor bugs and made two more enhancements: the evaluation popup now looks like all items (I've just not yet managed to get the popup to the correct size - help is appreciated) and middle-clicking on the All button resets all three mode filters.

As for the background colors: so far these can be easily modified by editing your userChrome.css. If possible, I'd like to go as long as possible without a configuration dialog for the console. Should I really need one at some point, I'll reconsider adding this feature.
onemen

Post by onemen »

v0.1.7.1+
right click in Evaluat box or Filter box the popup undo, cut, copy... is show
and this error

Code: Select all

Error: controller has no properties
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/textbox.xml
Line: 202
old zeniko

Post by old zeniko »

That's probably another trunk bug, since I've never seen it. Before reporting bugs, if possible please confirm the bug on a clean profile using the most recent branch nightly. Thanks.
onemen

Post by onemen »

i can not reproduce it in the last nightly trunk...

so nothing to worried about