Portable Firefox 1.0.7

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

Okay, now neither Flash nor Shockwave work for me. I've tried to update from within PFF multiple times, and I've copied the relavant DLLs into the Plugins folder...nothing works. Anyone know if this is PFF or FF at large that is doing this?
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Spielorjh wrote:Okay, now neither Flash nor Shockwave work for me. I've tried to update from within PFF multiple times, and I've copied the relavant DLLs into the Plugins folder...nothing works. Anyone know if this is PFF or FF at large that is doing this?

If you install Flash and Shockwave on the local PC and copy the appropriate DLL to the plugins directory in PFF, it should just work... as it does for me and the others that have responded to you. If it doesn't, there may be something up with your PC.

1. Try uninstalling both Shockwave and Flash
2. Install FF locally
3. Install Shockwave and Flash
4. Copy the DLL to PFF
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
mai9

Re: Clicking on links to lauch PORTABLE Firefox?

Post by mai9 »

norman_b_robinson wrote:Hey! First off - great job. Portable Firefox solves a few problems for me personally and professionally.

Has anyone figured out how to temporarily redirect hypertext links from MS Outlook such that they open with *PORTABLE* Firefox? This would make me so happy, I'll bake cookies for whomever elegantly solves this issue!

Maybe if you leave the Firefox launched Outlook will use it to open that hypertext links.
this is not a solution but a trick, so no cookies for me :(
CritterNYC

Re: Clicking on links to lauch PORTABLE Firefox?

Post by CritterNYC »

mai9 wrote:Maybe if you leave the Firefox launched Outlook will use it to open that hypertext links.
this is not a solution but a trick, so no cookies for me :(

I'm pretty sure it won't unless your local copy of Firefox is set as the default. In that case, it would attempt to launch your local FF, see that PFF is already running, and use that (unless you have multiple instances on).

I ate too many cookies for desert after lunch... so no cookies for me, either.
Take your browser, email, office suite, instant messenger, image editor and more with you...
Get portable versions of Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org, Pidgin, GIMP and more at PortableApps.com
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

CritterNYC wrote:
Spielorjh wrote:Okay, now neither Flash nor Shockwave work for me. I've tried to update from within PFF multiple times, and I've copied the relavant DLLs into the Plugins folder...nothing works. Anyone know if this is PFF or FF at large that is doing this?

If you install Flash and Shockwave on the local PC and copy the appropriate DLL to the plugins directory in PFF, it should just work... as it does for me and the others that have responded to you. If it doesn't, there may be something up with your PC.

1. Try uninstalling both Shockwave and Flash
2. Install FF locally
3. Install Shockwave and Flash
4. Copy the DLL to PFF

Thanks for the help here. I tried this, and while Shockwave and Flash both work on the FF copy on my hard drive, they still do not work on PFF on my USB drive.

If it helps, this behavior started for Flash when I upgraded it to the latest version a couple days ago.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

Spielorjh wrote:Thanks for the help here. I tried this, and while Shockwave and Flash both work on the FF copy on my hard drive, they still do not work on PFF on my USB drive.

If it helps, this behavior started for Flash when I upgraded it to the latest version a couple days ago.

That shouldn't matter at all. I did the same here without issue. Perhaps you could try a fresh download of PFF to your local hard drive and copy the DLLs into that. That's about all I can offer you. It definitely seems like an issue specific to your PC or install of PFF.
gregb7677

Post by gregb7677 »

muesli_tv wrote:it seems to me that i have to click portablefirefox.exe twice to get it started :-/

I am having the same issue, I double click and the light on my thumbdrive lights up as if its doing something but after 45 sec or so nothing happens. I have to try to start PFF multiple times before it finally starts up. PTB on the other hand starts up just fine first time around.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

gregb7677 wrote:I am having the same issue, I double click and the light on my thumbdrive lights up as if its doing something but after 45 sec or so nothing happens. I have to try to start PFF multiple times before it finally starts up. PTB on the other hand starts up just fine first time around.

Check the usual first:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_support/

Then try downloading a fresh copy to your local hard drive and running it there. It is nearly always:
1. An incompatible extension followed by a drive letter change
2. A corrupt profile
3. A corrupt PFF install
4. A corrupt flash drive file system
Spielorjh

Post by Spielorjh »

Okay, the flash/shockwave issue was solved with a new install of PFF and twiddling some Adblock settings, of all things.
Thank you very much for your help.
caylor

Portable Firefox Failure to start

Post by caylor »

I have tried to install the PortableFirefox 1.0.7 on my USB drive and I get the following error (both on my laptop and home computer):

The procedure entry point PR_Lock could not be located in the link library nspr4.dll.

I have checked the directory structure and closed down my local version of firefox, but nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
mai9

Re: Portable Firefox Failure to start

Post by mai9 »

caylor wrote:I have tried to install the PortableFirefox 1.0.7 on my USB drive and I get the following error (both on my laptop and home computer):

The procedure entry point PR_Lock could not be located in the link library nspr4.dll.

I have checked the directory structure and closed down my local version of firefox, but nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

maybe it's because that .dll is packed with UPX, although it shouldn't make any difference. Try replacing that PortableFirefox with one that is not compressed (you can get one from the official Firefox download, or uncompress that dll with upx).

compressed .dll should work (and always had for me) as uncompressed .dll, but if it says that it can't find the entry point in the dll maybe it's because of the compression.
caylor

Post by caylor »

mai9 wrote:
caylor wrote:I have tried to install the PortableFirefox 1.0.7 on my USB drive and I get the following error (both on my laptop and home computer):

Any ideas?

Thanks!

maybe it's because that .dll is packed with UPX, although it shouldn't make any difference. Try replacing that PortableFirefox with one that is not compressed (you can get one from the official Firefox download, or uncompress that dll with upx).

compressed .dll should work (and always had for me) as uncompressed .dll, but if it says that it can't find the entry point in the dll maybe it's because of the compression.

I tried with UPX, but no luck. Where did you say the non-compressed files were? I checked on http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/ but did not find a reference. Most of the official Firefox download pointed to that site.
CritterNYC

Post by CritterNYC »

caylor wrote:I tried with UPX, but no luck. Where did you say the non-compressed files were? I checked on http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/ but did not find a reference. Most of the official Firefox download pointed to that site.

No, no. The files within Portable Firefox already ARE compressed with UPX, which your system may have an issues with (which is VERY rare). So, he suggested you copy files from your standard, local installation of Firefox.
CritterNYC

Portable Firefox: Deer Park 1.5b1 Released

Post by CritterNYC »

Some of you have already discovered it, but I figured I'd make an announcement. I've released a portable version of the Deer Park beta so you can try it out without having to worrying about mixing up profiles on your machine. Feel free to download it:
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portab ... deer_park/

Regards,
John
CritterNYC

Portable Firefox Launcher 1.1.1 Beta3 - Testers Wanted

Post by CritterNYC »

This beta launcher has been updated:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 17#1778317

I've released another new beta of the Portable Firefox Launcher. This one:

- adds support for extensions using file: added (CustomizeGoogle, GreaseMonkey, etc)
- fixes an issue where a non-existant profile directory would cause the launcher to hang
- added in directories, ini options and environment calls so Firefox now uses included directories for pluginregistry, etc... meaning that no files will be left behind on PCs that Portable Firefox is run on.
- disabled UserProfileDirectory by default
- disable ProfileDirectory, AppDataDirectory or UserProfileDirectory by leaving them blank

The new INI options are:
AppDataDirectory=appdata
UserProfileDirectory=

Those are the defaults. The appdata directory is included in the ZIP and will be included in the next PFF release. The UserProfileDirectory is disabled by default due to side effects (Desktop on thumbdrive instead of local PC when saving) Even with these new features, the launcher can still be dropped into an existing install... you just won't get the added AppData and UserProfile features without creating those directories. If you use a custom INI, though, this new launcher probably won't work without updating the INI and adding the directories in.

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portab ... _beta3.zip

INSTALLATION
Unzip the above file and then copy your firefox and profile directories over from a full install of Portable Firefox.

KNOWN ISSUES
Unfortunately, there is a bug in Firefox where it uses the USERPROFILE directory and then hard codes an Application Data directory onto that. Due to this, the default settings won't prevent FF from writing to the local drive. You can set it to use a userprofile directory, but that will break the desktop and My Documents sections of the file open and save dialog boxes within Firefox (it will look in X:\PortableFirefox\userprofile\ instead)

Please give the new features a try and let me know how it works for you.
Regards,
John
Last edited by CritterNYC on September 30th, 2005, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.