request: reply all for marked list

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
samsara

request: reply all for marked list

Post by samsara »

Would be really nice if I could mark a number of emails, and send a new message to all senders (and optionally other recipients). By marking I mean the normal process of selecting mails with shift and mouse cursor or cursor keys.

Samsara
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A "reply" usually means responding to a particular message. How could you "reply" to the content of multiple messages with just one message in response?
samsara

Re: request: reply all for marked list

Post by samsara »

samsara wrote:send a new message to all senders (and optionally other recipients).

DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So all that you really save by that is not having to enter the email addresses?
samsara

Post by samsara »

Not just that - you would also be making a more intuitive interface.

Samsara
RAF

Post by RAF »

I see this could be convenient for some people, but it is by no means intuitive ; )
samsara

Post by samsara »

RAF wrote:I see this could be convenient for some people, but it is by no means intuitive ; )

What is not intuitive about it? What would you expect to happen?

Samsara
RAF

Post by RAF »

I think it's not intuitive because 'the normal process of selecting mails with shift and mouse cursor or cursor keys' isn't normal to me. I never use this and probably would not come across this feature if that was the only way to go about using it.

The intuitive way for this is a mailing list, I believe.
samsara

Post by samsara »

RAF wrote:I think it's not intuitive because 'the normal process of selecting mails with shift and mouse cursor or cursor keys' isn't normal to me. I never use this and probably would not come across this feature if that was the only way to go about using it.

The intuitive way for this is a mailing list, I believe.

That's a more work-intensive way to do it, and hence not suitable for situations where you won't need to use the same list again.

The situation I envisage is when you've just sent out some instance of mass communication (a press release, say), and ten people get back to you with the same question. Select those emails, click "send to all", write, send off - simple? I think so. And useful. It's very Apple, but they haven't come up with it yet!

Samsara
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And very simple to emulate with a "mailing list" equivalent. Create a new address book and save the 10 names to that book, select all from that address book and use that as your mailing list. Delete that address book after sending, or keep it in case you want to follow up with that group later.
samsara

Post by samsara »

DanRaisch wrote:And very simple to emulate with a "mailing list" equivalent. Create a new address book and save the 10 names to that book, select all from that address book and use that as your mailing list. Delete that address book after sending, or keep it in case you want to follow up with that group later.
And how am I going to select from an address book those people who emailed me in the last ten minutes? Other than by searching each name and adding them?

Make it easy, because Apple/Microsoft/etc. will.

Samsara
samsara

Post by samsara »

And you can still give people the option to save the list into their address book after they send the mail, similar to the way that Yahoo mail always asks.

Samsara
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I really doubt that something like this is in the forefront of people's minds when the choose a mail client. It will probably be used infrequently and there is a simple alternative.

TB already has an option to let you store outgoing email addresses to a "Collected Addresses" address book so no development required there, just a option selection. And what I was suggesting called for the creation of a temporary address book which would be used to collect (via right click context menu) the addresses from the last N messages in your message list pane.

On the other hand, if you feel it has merit, I hope that you'll let us know when you complete work on the extension to make it work as you describe.
RAF

Post by RAF »

Hmm... samsara.xpi has a nice ring to it ;)