Extension Developer Needed

Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform.
Ken Saunders

Extension Developer Needed

Post by Ken Saunders »

Hello,
I am currently working on an Accessibility Project for Moz and I am in need of an Extension to add to the project. What is needed is an Extension that allows the user to change the size of the browser text size. There are many tools available for enlarging the text of webpages but none to change the default text of the browser itself. So a user goes from reading the text of a webpage at a comfortable level and size to the small text of the browser. I know that changing the default browser text size can be accomplished by editing the userChrome.css, but there needs to be an easier way for the average user to change the browser text size. Perhaps a button or context option to change the browser text size with maybe 1-4 preset text sizes like the default 16 to 18, 20 and so on. I know that this can all be accomplished but I myself do not have the knowledge to create it myself. When this is created, than it will benefit millions of users who have visual impairments and attract a whole new demographic to Fx. It would also be included in an Accessibility Extensions Pack and implemented into a project similar to the Firemonger project, where there would be a special Firefox Accessibility Version (Fx Access). Please post any possibilities of the creation of this type of Extension here. I receive replies via email and I will respond quickly. Please help us get this project going. Your work will be exposed to millions of Fx users, both new and current. Thanks for your time. Sincerely Ken Saunders
P.S. This is also posted in Extensions
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

There may be one who is interested in helping out with this project, but you still may post your interest in helping out here.
mvl

Post by mvl »

Changing the font settings in windows (or whatever OS/desktop you are using) should change the fonts firefox uses. Isn't that enough?
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

It does, and it does it effectively. But Fx is based on choice. What makes it most popular are the Extensions. There are numerous Extensions in various categories all offering Fx users a choice of how they use and run their browser for different Internet needs and uses.
With well over a thousand Extensions available, there are only a handful that aid those with disabilities. According to the World Health Organization, between 750 million and a billion people globally have a speech, vision, mobility, hearing or cognitive disability. Of those numbers, millions use the Internet. Most with disabilities don’t hold full time jobs, so many spend a lot of time online. There is no reason why they can’t use Firefox if they are offered the right tools and choices. This Extension offers another choice. And it says to the user that we care about your needs, that’s we offer tools like this. Another point would be, Portable Firefox. If someone takes Fx with them on a USB drive, then their font settings for the browser will be intact and usable even if the machine that they are using, uses Windows default settings.
I’m sorry this got real long, but there are many points that can be made to justify why creating this Extension is not only a good idea but essential. I myself am Legally Blind. I’ve been using the Internet and computers for 10 years, and I know that as an individual with a visual disability and an Fx user, that this tool would benefit many. 
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

I's not clear to me why you need a extension. Firefox has 2 features to controle the size of text.
1. Tools -> Options -> ... -> Minimum font size
2. View -> Text Size -> Increase (Ctrl + "+")

So your extension will be useful/handy than the two?
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

This Extension would allow users to change the <b>browser</b> text size, not what is displayed on webpages. There are many tools available for that, but none to avoid having to go to Windows settings to adjust the browser font sizes that are displayed in menus etc. Another point is that a user may not have the authority to change the Windows default settings. So if this Extension were made available, the user could change the default browser text size to something larger and more readable for their needs.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

mouserunner wrote: Another point is that a user may not have the authority to change the Windows default settings. So if this Extension were made available, the user could change the default browser text size to something larger and more readable for their needs.

If the users does not have permission to change the Windows settings 'outside' of Firefox, the user will not have the permissions to change them from within Firefox. Maybe temporarily, but I'd think that would get real odl, real fast for most users to have ot make changes every time they open Firefox.

Also, WHY would a user not be allowed to make changes to his or her Windows settings in their Windows profiles?
I my little network, my wife has the ability to modify the settings, and store them for future sessions.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

Another point would be, Portable Firefox. If someone takes Fx with them on a USB drive, then their font settings for the browser will be intact and usable even if the machine that they are using, uses Windows default settings.

That's one reason why the may not have access. And Fx would remember the users prefs. as usual.
Say I go to your house and I want to go online but you don't use Fx. I could simply use my Portable Firefox with all of my settings intact. Would you want to create a whole new user so that I can adjust font sizes? Or would you want me to mess with your personal font settings? Niether needs to apply with such an Extension.
It is all about giving users a choice, an option, a tool for their specific needs.
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

mouserunner wrote:This Extension would allow users to change the <b>browser</b> text size, not what is displayed on webpages.

Ah, I see. Then probably you should develop a new theme instead of an extension. Extension authors should not try to controle the appearance of the browser even if it's easy to do so. A theme is all about how the browser looks.
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

I know that a Theme can control the display, but is a Theme capable of allowing the user to select between different text options?
Torisugari

Post by Torisugari »

mouserunner wrote:is a Theme capable of allowing the user to select between different text options?

No. theme does not offer any options. In that case, users should switch the theme itself.
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

That is why an Extension is the answer and not a Theme. I can accomplish what I need through editing the userChrome.css, so why can't a button be assigned to do that. Of course this is not for me personally, it is for individuals with Disabilities as mentioned at the top of the page. I simply do not have the technical knowledge to do this, I am the project coordinator.
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

For contributions to this project, please visit the following:
http://markbokil.org/forum/phpBB2/index.php
Ken Saunders

Post by Ken Saunders »

Update:
Well the ball is rolling and the brainstorming has begun (thanks MarK).
Here are the specifics. Any contributions and/or help are welcome and greatly appreciated.
For features we need:
+ extension with UI for window text size
+ UI for browser menu text size
+ persistence added to extension to store these user settings
+ toolbar button for easy access to UI
+ Add extension options to tools or view menu in Firefox