Firefox Crash Link

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
juan_david

Firefox Crash Link

Post by juan_david »

Browsing on a forum, http://www.tech-forums.net/computer/topic/41049.html I found a lin that breaks firefox. It always does. I posted it because it would be wise to see if this bug affects the 1.5 betas. Since i´m not a developer, i cannot tell if it does. I´m currently using FF 1.0.7
Firefox Crash Link
Warning: Clicking the above link CRASHES firefox.
I downloaded the HTML file, and here is the code in it, for the coding people to checkout.

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
  <head>
    <title>Mozilla Crash Vulnerability - Proof of Concept</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <h1>Proof of Concept for Mozilla Crash Vulnerability</h1>
    <h3>Discovered by <a href="mailto:mail[at]niekvandermaas[dot]nl">Niek van der Maas</a>, <a href="http://www.maas-online.nl">MaasOnline</a></h3>
    <iframe id="pocframe" name="pocframe" src="about:blank"></iframe>
    <script type="text/javascript">window.frames.pocframe.print();</script>
</body>
</html>
hermetica

Post by hermetica »

I'm afraid that link does not crash either my 1.0.7 or 1.5 Beta 2 installtions. Perhaps here is not the right place for you to be posting.
DanS

Post by DanS »

Hi, I can confirm it does cause crases - it just did to me, i am now sending information to mizilla through feedback agent.

juan_david - if you could please PM me with your e-mail address it may be helpful to those at mozilla.

Dan
juan_david

Post by juan_david »

Perhaps here is not the right place for you to be posting.
Hermetica: This is not some kind of joke, and i didn´t post it to make fun. I just found it on a FF/opera flame wars forum, and i thought it would be important to Mozilla developers to know about it. It happens to me. I´m using 1.0.7 on windows XP

Maybe i misunderstood your comment and you´re meaning that my post is in the wrong forum section... sry :)

Dskerrat - I´ll pm in just a minute.
hermetica

Post by hermetica »

Yes I meant that perhaps you need to communicate directly with the Mozilla Development Team at mozilla.org.

If it crashes certain versions of Firefox that is obvioulsy important but posting here surely just causes a degree of confusion - especially if a user can't replicate that crash on either a current standard public release or the latest beta build? *shrug*

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I've just downloaded and installed to a separate directory/new profile a 1.0.6 version Firefox and can't get it to crash that either.
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

This doesn't belong in the support section of these forums, moving to Firefox Bugs.
txtedmacs

Post by txtedmacs »

juan_david, what exactly do you mean by "crash". Too me that is either a browser lockup or disappearance.

I see neither. Upon activating the link into a new tab it seems to want to use my printer, which I just cancel. The page comes up with a boast, links and a disfigured box - no more. My browser is unaffected, i.e. I can return to other tabs and refire this or other links. Moreover, I checked the two one was a protected email address and the other a site that I then went to (again in a new tab).

I am running the new Beta 2 that I installed this morning. My skepticism is raised by seeing this listing for some contacts on their site:

Could this be more of MS dirty tricks they played so adroitly against other opposition in the past?
juan_david

Post by juan_david »

I´m using FF 1.0.7
When i click the link, it starts loading but a few seconds later firefox pops up a windows error message asking me to send or not an error report to MS. i choose do not send and then FF exits. (it always happen, no matter if i choose to load the link on the same or a new tab).
You´re the second person who reports no crash on 1.5 beta 2.
I´ll go get beta2 to see if i can be the 3rd. :)
Chaosfeary

Post by Chaosfeary »

txtedmacs wrote:juan_david, what exactly do you mean by "crash". Too me that is either a browser lockup or disappearance.

I see neither. Upon activating the link into a new tab it seems to want to use my printer, which I just cancel. The page comes up with a boast, links and a disfigured box - no more. My browser is unaffected, i.e. I can return to other tabs and refire this or other links. Moreover, I checked the two one was a protected email address and the other a site that I then went to (again in a new tab).

I am running the new Beta 2 that I installed this morning. My skepticism is raised by seeing this listing for some contacts on their site:

Yep, same, the link does NOT crash Firefox 1.5 Beta 2, but it DOES try to force you to print the page as soon as it loads and could mean accidental paper wastage if someone doubleclicked or pressed enter twice to load the page.

The code it uses to try force a print is:

Code: Select all

<iframe id="pocframe" name="pocframe" src="about:blank"></iframe>
<script type="text/javascript">window.frames.pocframe.print();</script>

Could this be more of MS dirty tricks they played so adroitly against other opposition in the past?
Most likely.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Crashes my Firefox 1.0.7

uas: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050915 Firefox/1.0.7
birdey69

Post by birdey69 »

Crashes my FF to:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; nl-NL; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20051004 Firefox/1.0.7 (Ubuntu package 1.0.7)
juan_david

Post by juan_david »

I tried FF 1.5 beta 2 and it´s good to see it doesn´t crash. I get the same behavior txtedmacs and chaosfeary described. However it crashes 1.0.7. It seems to affect only 1.0.x releases
Dúnedain

Post by Dúnedain »

I've got NoScript installed and it would not crash because NoScript blocked the contence. Great tool btw

ltrzz Dúnedain
I can't send email anymore. Is the internet full?
Chaosfeary

Post by Chaosfeary »

Ok, so it crashes 1.0.x but not 1.5.x. That's good.
( http://maas-online.nl/security/poc-mozilla-crash.html )

Hopefully when Firefox 1.5 comes out pages will not be able to force a print popup to appear without the user clicking first, too.
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

Another link that crashed my 1.0.7

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=327910