Cant copy and paste in Firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
junebuglaura

Bugzilla Voting

Post by junebuglaura »

Information on voting in bugzilla:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=voting.html

P.S. I can copy/paste between two firefox browser windows if I don't click on any address bars. Not great, but a temporary work-around.
Candy

Post by Candy »

I already added my followup-comment in Bugzilla (im Yago Stecher) and read about the clipboard thing. Tried everything. The bug doesnt affect different Firefox windows, but switching from one tab to another.

Edit: thanks for the voting info :)
Last edited by Candy on October 11th, 2005, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[candyman]²

Metalstream

Post by Metalstream »

Not thanks really I don't wanna have an account at bugzilla. I have C/C++ software to trainning.
For candy the suggestion worked for you??
"I love God, He's my favourite fictional character." - Homer J. Simpson
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Just a heads up... commenting in bugzilla about bugs is somewhat frowned upon unless you have a tip/fix or new testcase.

bugspam is a quick way to get the bug ignored even more...So unless you have some usefull to add - just vote.. dont spam with 'is this ever going to get fixed?' or 'I have the same problem' etc...
Candy

Post by Candy »

Thanks for the heads up. My posting I wanted to add that hapened to earlier versions, and well, to note the standard diagnostic, hope it isnt considered completely useless.
[candyman]²

Post by Guest »

hellene wrote:I wonder if this is a 1.0.7 issue, as so far only 1.0.7 users have been reporting it. Odd thing is, it's happened out of the blue to people, not after an upgrade.

See here for another one http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... highlight=

I just ran into this problem tonight. I was NOT running 1.0.7, I was running 1.0.6 and ran into the problem. I upgraded thinking the reinstall would eliminate the problem, but I was quickly made a fool. Unfortunately, copy/paste does not work in my browser at all. I can copy to WORD, but that is all.

So far this is what I did to fix it... I do not know if this is a permanent fix or not. Go to Run, and type "clipbrd" (without "") and it initiates the clipboard viewer. After I copied with clipboard viewer open and ensured it was showing up, I closed it and was able to paste. I then tried copying and pasting with the viewer closed and it worked....

I am about to close my browser and try it again and see if it still works when it reloads....

Post by Guest »

It's me again... turns out it does not work, and NOW clipbrd isn't working either.... this is going to be a serious problem, we use firefox for our company and requires us to copy paste a lot of product URL's and such... this is a bad situation :(
djcaseanova

Post by djcaseanova »

The only time you can copy and paste is in FORMS. For instance, you should be able to copy and paste within the reply box, and anything like that within the forums. You won't be able to paste to tabs or URL box, or any other toolbar box.

Post by Guest »

Also note, when you add the copy/paste buttons to the tool bar next to the URL, it does not allow paste to be highlighted, and if it does, it does not function. 99% of the time the paste when you right click doesn't become an option either.
Candy

Post by Candy »

I have to disagree with djcasenova on this one: pasting in a quick reply of a board was the first thing that caught my attention a couple days ago. So pasting in forms wont work, as the address bar wont work either.

Pay attention to the guest there: this is definetly not only a 1.0.7 problem. It appears to be a question of time (it started more or less at the same time for all of us) rather than version. Ill try 1.0.2 tomorrow, cause I have an installer somewhere.

Nighty night everyone.
[candyman]²

aquilax

I think it's because of Spyware

Post by aquilax »

Hi,
I think the problem is not in Firefox but in spyware applications. My problems started after instaling Real One player and it installed some spyware apps. So today I tried MS AntiSpyware and it found and removed two spyware progs. Now copy/paste in Firefox 1.0.7 works fine.
fio

Post by fio »

hi,
i was having the same problem then i tried the upgrade to firefox 1.5 beta 2: now it works! so i suggest you try this and, when the bug is fixed, return to 1.0.7 [i think 1.5 beta 2 solves this problem but can have other bugs as well].
CDLR

Post by CDLR »

fio wrote:hi,
i was having the same problem then i tried the upgrade to firefox 1.5 beta 2: now it works! so i suggest you try this and, when the bug is fixed, return to 1.0.7 [i think 1.5 beta 2 solves this problem but can have other bugs as well].

Yes, this worked for me too. I'm so very pleased - I had started using Opera (which is better than IE) but no where near as god as Mozilla FF.
hellene

Post by hellene »

Very curious. Thanks Candy for running the diagnostic - confirms it's not a profile issue. I have noted from all the evidence now accumulated that it's not a 1.0.7 issue, but it is curious that it started for so many people at the same time. I personally wouldn't recommending going to the 1.5 beta 2 to fix this, as the beta does still have other issues attached (including a number of significant extensions not yet working), but if you're confident with betas, then go ahead.

I'm not seeing this reported in the bugs or builds forum so far, one in Firefox general, so you guys are the select few (no consolation I'm sure). I'm out of guesses - I'll see whether I can spark a few of the guys more familiar with the developer side to have a speculate.
I don't know how to do any of this stuff, I just hire the guys that do
Have you considered reading the HELP folder. Right there on your menu bar.
Image by Juniper http onic.net/~daylight/ - Xmas special by Ol Grumpy
AndrewF31

Post by AndrewF31 »

Hey,

I started having this problem late last week (6 or 7th of October). I was using 1.0.7 at the time. I had been copy-pasting several stuff from my browser to Word for the past few days and then all of a sudden Firefox wouldn't let me do it anymore. I kept on persisting but to no avail. I ended up having to continue my work with another browser.

I've checked for spyware and viruses and nothing. I'm glad that it isn't just me!

Odd thing is I started to use the Mozilla broswer (1.7) recently and at times it doesn't let me copy-paste but it's not as problematic as firefox.

I'll have to check my computer carefully.